2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2016 7:02 PM by c@Q!

Premiere elements upgrade from elements 10 a farce

c@Q!

can anyone tell me why I upgraded?  Premiere elements 10 imports my .MOD file into the program immediately and correctly.  If any setting is incorrect it will warn me and conform everything.  Premiere 14.1 has apparently got the same problem with .MOD files as its predecessor premiere 13.  I have examined the forums and spent hours playing with settings and preferences before importing the file and it always without fail makes the same mistake on import and crops the video.  There is no point in saying have you unchecked the default scale box or have you checked the force box or have you set the project to PAL DI DV wide 16:9 or looked at the pixel aspect ratio more closely ... I have spent days doing all these things.  Then I go back to wonderful premiere 10 which not only imports the movie correctly without fuss but actually looks like a sophisticated person designed the layout not a kid! .... well what more can I say except ... do better adobe. Has anyone got an answer for me and no renaming the file does not help.

• 1. Re: Premiere elements upgrade from elements 10 a farce
          A.T. Romano Level 7

c@Q!

Thank you for the details of your Premiere Elements 10 and 14/14.1 mod widescreen observations. Yes, this issue does go beyond the .mod to .mpeg file renaming. See ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: Serious Problem With .MOD Widescreen Files

Please consider my August 2015 suggested workaround for the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14/14.1 situation

Premiere Elements 13 Major .MOD Widescreen Concerns

Update...a possible workaround seems to be
          a. Set the project preset manually to NTSC DV Widescreen or PAL DV Widescreen
          b. Go to Expert workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General and remove the check mark next to the preference "Default Scale to Frame Size".
          c. Import the .mod widescreen into the project with the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets, and drag the .mod widescreen from Project Assets to the Timeline Video Track 1/Audio Track 1.
          d. Click on the Edit area monitor to bring up the image's bounding box with handles. Click and drag on one of the image's bounding box handles to scale the image to the point where it just fits the space provided in the Edit area monitor by the project preset choice

Please consider and let us know if that worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere elements upgrade from elements 10 a farce
            c@Q! Level 1

thankyou for your prompt response.  I have already been to this instruction and followed it carefully but of course it doesn't work because already the file is cropped as soon as it comes in so whatever you do to it thereafter ie dragging boundaries etc it remains in its cropped state.  The properties of the file show up as being quite bizarre eg the width and height should be 720 x 576 with 1.0940 pixel aspect ratio and no matter how much you tell the program these preferences beforehand, when you import, it shows up as 540 x 576 with 1.4587 pixel aspect ratio.  As I said premiere elements 10 does no cropping.  Any more thoughts much appreciated.