15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2016 7:24 AM by dj_paige

Searching with Keywords

CycleDude Level 1

I am using Lightroom CC.  I have a catalog of over 51,000 pictures.  I've used keywords to tag my photos.  For example, one photo may be of Mary another of John.  What I can't figure out is how to search for photos that contain Mary AND John both.  I don't want to see the photos of only Mary or only John, only where it contains both people.  Seems basic but can't seem to find the answer in LR Help or the community.  Thanks.

• 2. Re: Searching with Keywords
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the Keyword List, click the arrow to the right of Mary. This opens the Library Filter with Mary selected in the first column. So you've got all the pictures with Mary. Now change the second column so it also displays keywords, and select John. Now you've all those with Mary and John.

• 3. Re: Searching with Keywords
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

John nice try but I can't get you solution to work. No matter what I do I only get one keyword of photos displayed.

I think the only way to what the OP wants is to go through his images and assign the keyword "Mary+John" to the images that contain both Mary and John.

• 4. Re: Searching with Keywords

Shootistbond007 wrote:

John nice try but I can't get you solution to work. No matter what I do I only get one keyword of photos displayed.

Then try harder . The "trick" is simply to display two columns of keywords in the Library Filter, using the little menu that's revealed by clicking the text label at the top of the second Library Filter column.

• 5. Re: Searching with Keywords
                F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This works too:

• 6. Re: Searching with Keywords
                  dj_paige Level 9

Like this:

2016-01-03 08_00_03-Lightroom.png

• 7. Re: Searching with Keywords
                    CycleDude Level 1

Thanks John.  Works just as you described.  I knew it had to be simple, but just wasn't intuitive, and I'm an IT guy!

• 8. Re: Searching with Keywords
                      CycleDude Level 1

Thanks.  This works too, but in my example I have to use the Contains All choice.  Again, figured there was a simple way, but wasn't intuitive.  Appreciate the quick reply.

• 9. Re: Searching with Keywords

john beardsworth wrote:

Shootistbond007 wrote:

Then try harder . The "trick" is simply to display two columns of keywords in the Library Filter, using the little menu that's revealed by clicking the text label at the top of the second Library Filter column.

In the first column I select Keyword from the drop down arrow then I select one of my keywords. In the second column I also select Keyword from the drop down but all that shows up in the second column is the 1 keyword I have selected in the first column.

Keyword filter.PNG

If I use the Keyword list to first select one of the keyword only those images show and are available in the filter list.

Not sure how you are getting the second column to show all keywords with only one keyword selected in the column.

I'm eager to learn.

• 10. Re: Searching with Keywords

john beardsworth wrote:

Shootistbond007 wrote:

OK now I have it. You don't need the second column. You can select multiple keywords in the first column and then filter down, or not, from there.

Still down understand the use of 2 columns.

• 11. Re: Searching with Keywords

Multiple keywords in one column is like saying "Mary OR John". Two columns is "Mary AND John".

With your Greenbaum, I think you just picked a keyword that is only applied on its own. Try Flowers as those pictures may have other keywords too?

• 12. Re: Searching with Keywords

Think of it as drilling down in an OLAP cube or pivot table

• 13. Re: Searching with Keywords
                                dj_paige Level 9

Shootistbond007 wrote:

In the first column I select Keyword from the drop down arrow then I select one of my keywords. In the second column I also select Keyword from the drop down but all that shows up in the second column is the 1 keyword I have selected in the first column.

Keyword filter.PNG

If I use the Keyword list to first select one of the keyword only those images show and are available in the filter list.

Not sure how you are getting the second column to show all keywords with only one keyword selected in the column.

I'm eager to learn.

If you select keyword Greenbaum, there are no photos with any other keyword. You have chosen a poor example.

If you had a photo with both keywords Greenbaum and a Weber/Hawes, then Weber/Hawes would show up in the second column.

• 14. Re: Searching with Keywords

No example of Multiple keywords on one or a group of images was discussed. Original poster said he had keywords Mary and John, No keyword sets including both Mary and John.

With just single keywords, like I use, when you select the first keyword in the first column the only keyword that shows up in the second column is that one keyword that you selected in the first column. As shown in the image I posted.

But all of this it to much work. You can select multiple entries in each column by holding down the Ctrl/Com key and clicking on other entries.

So If I want to show my Job site images for multiple jobs I can select both/all in the first column and then filter down, if I chose to, for camera model, Lens and so on.

I also like the Text search way better than what John suggested. Sure some, maybe most, LR users setup cascading keyword sets like what has been described. But I would think not everyone does that, like me.

I'm going to give the Keyword set setup a try and see if I like the way it works. That's why I'm here to help but also learn new tricks.

Thanks for the replies.

• 15. Re: Searching with Keywords
                                    dj_paige Level 9

No example of Multiple keywords on one or a group of images was discussed.

But all of this it to much work. You can select multiple entries in each column by holding down the Ctrl/Com key and clicking on other entries.

So If I want to show my Job site images for multiple jobs I can select both/all in the first column and then filter down, if I chose to, for camera model, Lens and so on.

As John Beardsworth has pointed out, this gives you John OR Mary, while the orginal question asked for finding photos that have keywords John AND Mary ... the original request was to find a photo that had two specific keywords.