17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2017 7:24 AM by sadddletree

Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13

michaelb54497436

Hello

I've recently made the move from Premiere Elements 3.0.

I'm now using Premiere Elements 13.1 on Windows 7 64-bit.

When trying to Burn a DVD from Premiere I'm getting working menus, but the button highlights are extremely pixelated, and in distorted colours as though the yellow component is missing.

I've tried burning with and without Hardware Acceleration checked in Edit->Preferences->General. I've tried burning to folder and to iso and then on to disc.

Every time I've ended up with the same bad result

The Menu Theme I'm using is Faux Widescreen and I'm burning 4.7GB to 'PAL Widescreen Dolby DVD' with 'Fit contents to available space' checked.

I've tried this with my full compilation and with a  very short test compilation with a few main and scene menu markers but no stop markers. Still no joy.

I used this same Menu Theme with Premiere Elements 3.0 and the results were great.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MB

• 1. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what is the video's resolution and format?

What does Premiere Elements show as Project Settings, under the Edit menu?

What is the running time of your video project?

What device or software are you viewing your final DVD on when you see pixelated buttons and poor color reproduction?

• 2. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13
            michaelb54497436 Level 1

Hello Steve. Thanks for replying.

Just to clarify/correct my original post:

- The Menu Theme button highlights I refer to are those that appear to signify the currently selected button when using the DVD

- For the original stock Faux Widescreen Menu Theme, the grey button highlights appear very pixelated but in the expected grey colour. The original yellow/orange button highlights appear pixelated but not in the designed yellow/orange colour

- What I'd also done for the Elements 3.0 Menu Theme was to customise and make some button highlights red, and for Elements 3.0 that worked fine.  I've now done the same customisation for the the Elements 13.1 Menu Theme and this time, button highlights I colour as red appear pixelated pink, button highlights I colour blue appear pixelated green.

Now to answer your questions:

Camcorder:

video footage comes from a Sony NEX-5N. MediaInfo says the video format is 1920x1080 (16:9) at 25fps. The original file format is .mts

Project Settings:

Edit->Project Settings->General says

Editing Mode: AVCHD 1080p square pixel

Timebase: 50.00 frames/second

Video: 1920x1080, Square Pixels(1.0), No Fields (Progressive Scan), 50 fps Timecode

Running Time:

for test edit with single clip, total work area running time is 25 secs 46 frames

for full edit, total work area running time is 36 mins 19 secs 41 frames

(also, don't know if important but full edit has: 7 main menu markers, 6 stop markers (not at end), 22 scene markers)

Device/Software:

I have viewed burnt DVD Folder files and burnt DVD ISO on my laptop using VLC Player

I have also viewed burnt DVD-R on TV using two different DVD players.

• 3. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13

Have you tried using a different DVD template to see if the problem is related to the template or to the program? (and which template are you  using)

• 4. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13
                michaelb54497436 Level 1

All templates accessed (and downloaded) from Premiere Elements via

Tools->Movie Menu->Menu Theme

1. the template I've been using

General->Faux Widescreen

result: yellow/orange button highlights burn pixelated pink

2. test alternative

General->Grid

result: red 'over text' highlights burn blocky purple

result: red button highlights burn pixelated purple

3. test alternative

Entertainment->Art-in-Motion

result: cream 'next to text' highlights burn cream

result: cream button highlights burn pixelated cream

Additionally, in each case the burnt button highlights are offset from the underlying button. Whereaas when viewed in Premiere Elements using Preview Disc,

everything is perfectly aligned.

• 5. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13

Something is definitely wrong, Michael. But I can't duplicate it at my end so I can't help you.I

It doesn't seem to be an issue with the software, but a unique problem at your end.

Perhaps another person on this forum will have some suggestions for you.

• 6. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13
                    michaelb54497436 Level 1

OK, Steve, that's great. It helps to know that you're unable to duplicate the problem.

Many thanks for all your help/suggestions/thoughts.

I'll do some more experimenting...

• 7. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13

One thing to consider, as you're judging quality and pixelation.

A DVD video is only 720x480 pixels in size. A typical computer screen is over four times that resolution. So if you're watching your DVD at full-screen on your computer, it's definitely going to look a bit pixelation. (Also remember that your DVD video is interlaced while your computer is playing progressive scan -- although VLC Media Player compensates for some of that.)

I assume you've also tested the DVD on a TV, which is designed to play back DVDs and other discs.

• 8. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

michaelb

I would like to help you sort through the issues related to your Faux Widescreen highlights issue that you have described in this thread.

1. For your .psd edited menu, are you confirming that highlights distortion and unwanted replacement colors for them are seen only in the DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc end product and that the Movie Menu Preview within the program looks fine? And, are these same distortions seen at playback of the disc on computer or TV?

2. What if you use the Adobe original Faux Widescreen, hightlights as is, - what do the highlights look like that for that end product DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc end product? (For that I am seeing gray highlights for main menu and orange gold highlights for scene selection page.)

3. When you go about editing the theme's .psd file, what .psd editor are you using? And, what is the description of the replacement color - in the screenshot Photoshop CS5.1

highlights.JPG

In the scene menu .psd, how are you editing a highlight layer for color?

If you want to continue the thread discussion, I would appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance. Lots to evaluate based on putting your details together.

ATR

• 9. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13
                          michaelb54497436 Level 1

Good point about DVD res versus computer res. Haven't thought/experimented with different effect of interlaced versus progressive.

Yes I've tested on a couple of TVs and for me that's where the real problem is. Even on TV the menu highlighting looks crude and pixelated with the above mentioned colour distortions. I'm in the process of getting some screen captures of the menu buttons (from Preview Disc and DVD ISO) so I'll post those as soon as.

• 10. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13
                            michaelb54497436 Level 1

Hello ATR

Many thanks for offering assistance - would be appreciated.

I'm currently in the process of getting some screen captures to illustrate the problem I've been describing, and I'll answer your questions fully when I post those.

Thanks.

MB

• 11. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13
                              michaelb54497436 Level 1

OK, so here are some screen captures of relevant parts of the screen for the different DVD Templates/Menu Themes I've experimented with.

- All were created using my test project with single clip and total work area running time of 25 secs 46 frames;

- Each set is indicated as either Preview Disc - captured from Premiere Elements 13.1, or DVD ISO captured from VLC Player after burning to ISO using Premiere Elements 13.1;

- FW Custom 1 and FW Custom 2 are my customised versions of Faux Widescreen;

- The only version I've actually burnt to disc is FW Custom 2. I used a DVD-R disc and viewed on two different TVs (with different DVD players). On both TVs the DVD looked exactly the same as the ISO when viewed using VLC Player.

To answer questions posed by ATR:

1. Yes, DVD disc end product bad, Movie Menu Preview good. Same distortions observed when playing DVD ISO on computer and when playing back burnt DVD-R disc through computer and TV.

2. For original Faux Widescreen, I see the colours you describe in Movie Menu Preview. But these change when burning DVD. Please see Faux Widescreen collection of screen captures below. The orange and gold highlights become pixelated, pink and are offset.

3. For the red menu buttons in FW Custom 1, I copied my original menu button edits from Premiere Elements 3.0 version of the template. I originally edited those using Photoshop Elements 5.0. Can't remember exactly how I did the original edit.

Red colour is RGB (114,41,40).

For the scene selection page, I've been editing the rectangular border highlight using Photoshop Elements 13.1. In turn, I ungroup layer, use magic wand to select border colour, fill selection with replacement colour, deselect and regroup layer, making sure layer keeps original name.

Blue colour is RGB (51,102,255).

Art-in-Motion (original)

Art-in-Motion.jpg

Faux Widescreen (original)

Faux Widescreen - 01.jpg

Faux Widescreen - 02.jpg

Faux Widescreen (customised version 1)

FW Custom 1 - 01.jpg

FW Custom 1 - 02.jpg

Faux Widescreen (customised version 2)

FW Custom 2 - 01.jpg

FW Custom 2 - 02.jpg

Grid (original)

Grid.jpg

• 12. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

MB

Thank you for the screenshots. I have only begun, lots to do since.....

You are not alone on what you are observing. I have confirmed your Faux Widescreen results at least with Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14/14.1 on Windows 7 64 bit - that is - the color of the scene menu page highlights changing from what you see in the project versus what you get in the burn to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc - same colors as you are displaying in your screenshot.

This 

a. is not a one person observation

b. impacts at least Premiere Elements disc menu Faux Widescreen

c. has nothing to do with user customization of the theme

d. it is not a monitor issue since I have done all my work on the same computer - viewing of the project menu preview and viewing of the DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc via a computer player

To be continued....

ATR

• 13. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13
                                  michaelb54497436 Level 1

Thanks ATR

Good to know I'm not the only person observing this. Was at a loss of what to try next. Thanks for your help. Standing by...

MB

• 14. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

MB

Good morning. Just starting my day. This menu highlights matter is Interesting.

In my introductory evaluation, I used the non customized Faux Widescreen for my DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD. You took your Timeline to DVD Iso Image.

What did you use to view your DVD Iso Image and show the scene menu highlights in the screenshot that you posted? I used computer CyberLink software. Whatever you used, we both got the exact color change. I will look at this on the TV's DVD player.

Whatever you used, we both got the exact color change

This alone would appear to narrow down the troubleshooting considerably.

To be continued

ATR

• 15. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13
                                      michaelb54497436 Level 1

Good morning ATR, or actually Good afternoon now where I am.

I used VLC media player 2.2.1 to view the DVD ISO Image then a paid for FastStone Capture for Windows 8.3 to get the screenshots. I also tried viewing the DVD ISO Image using Windows Media Player (the one that came with Windows OS) and the scene menu highlights looked the same as when viewed with VLC media player.

MB

• 16. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

MB

Thanks for the information. I will put that into the mix.

I have viewed the DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on my TV's DVD player...same color difference in menu's scene menu's highlights before and after burn to DVD.

ATR

• 17. Re: Poor quality DVD Menu Buttons from Premiere Elements 13
                                          sadddletree

Has there been any resolution on this?  I am having the same issue in 15 with Faux Widescreen menu.  It is affecting all aspects of the menu, including the thumbnails.