2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2009 7:55 AM by arfore

Change role settings = create new key?

sculptor Level 1
      When you edit the existing role permissions of a Contribute site in Dreamweaver, Do you need to create a new key and send this to the users?
      The user guide seems to imply this as the role permissions are included in the key.

Do the users have to do anything special to update their configuration or just double click the new key file and it will overwrite the old permissions.

If the new permissions were downgrading the user's permissions could they just simply ignore the new key file and continue to use the old settings from the original key to avoid being given new restrictions?
        • 1. Re: Change role settings = create new key?
          ThinkInk Level 2
          My experience is that you do not have to sent a new key when you change the role-settings/permissions.
          The role settings will be updated for your user when they connect to the website, they are saved in the _mm folder on the server and on the users computer.
          I suppose you only have to sent a new key when you want them to have another role (say Writer instead of Publisher).
          • 2. Re: Change role settings = create new key?
            arfore Level 1
            Actually, you do not have to send a new key unless you need a new key. I am using multiple roles (Writer, Publisher, plus a couple of custom ones). I move users between roles when necessary and never have to send them a new key.

In fact, since I am using CPS for the user management, I don't send them keys at all. The user just has to enter the correct connect:servername.com information into the address bar and CPS does the rest.

Andy