9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2016 6:58 AM by A.T. Romano

Problems with 4k videos form the Dji Phantom 3 Professional

niklasn38012392

Hello everybody

I have filmed some 4k videos with my Dji Phantom 3 professional and wanted to edit them with Premiere Elements 14. My problem is that the filmclips in the preview window stutter and stop all the time. Does anyone has a advice for me?

Thanks ahead

Niklas

• 1. Re: Problems with 4k videos form the Dji Phantom 3 Professional
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Niklas

Premiere Elements 14 on what computer operating system? Have you updated 14 to 14.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

What are you recording with your device - 4096 x 2160 or 3840 x 2160?

What is the project preset being set? Please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out).

When you are previewing the Timeline content and are in the Expert workspace, is there an orange line over that Timeline content? If so, after you hit the computer keyboard Enter key to "Timeline render" that content, is the playback now good.

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Any questions or need clarification on the matter, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...the following recent thread here may be of interest  Does Premiere Elements 14 support DJI Phantom 3 Pro 4k video camera?

• 2. Re: Problems with 4k videos form the Dji Phantom 3 Professional
            niklasn38012392 Level 1

Hello ATR

Thanks for your quick answer! I'm using a Macbook Air 13 with the version El Capitan 10.11.2. and i've updated premiere elements to the version 14.1.

My device records 3840 x 2160.

My General Settings are like following.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-01-04 um 10.47.14.png

Over my Timeline content is a orange/yellow line but it don't disappears when i render the Timeline.

Thank you for your advice!

Niklas

• 3. Re: Problems with 4k videos form the Dji Phantom 3 Professional
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Niklasn

Thanks for the follow up with important information.

The render indicator line is over the Timeline and not through the clip on the Expert workspace track. I suspect that you may be looking at the orange line through the clip. Please refer to

Render.JPG

The screenshot is from 12/12.1, but the principle is the same as in 14/14.1. If when you drag your file to the Timeline as the first file to that Timeline and you have the correct project preset, you should expect to see "no colored line".

If your video is 3810 x 2160 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, then the project has the appropriate project preset.

What is the frame rate of your 3810 x 2160 from the camera?

Also, please do a mini test run for an export to determine if the problems seen in the preview are also seen in the playback of the export in your player.

That information will help us narrow down the problem to preview versus overall program/project problem.

Are you using a file with a .mov or .mp4 file extension? Latest version of QuickTime 7 installed?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Problems with 4k videos form the Dji Phantom 3 Professional
                niklasn38012392 Level 1

Hello ATR

My camera is shooting videos with 30 fps.

Unfortunately nothing changes if I render the file.
                I'm using a .mov file and i've installed the latest version of QuickTime player 7.
                I don't have the problem from the preview when i watch the video after exporting.

Thanks for your reply!

Niklas

• 5. Re: Problems with 4k videos form the Dji Phantom 3 Professional
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

niklasn

Thank you for the reply.

From what you just wrote, I am understanding the the problems seen when previewing your Timeline in Edit area monitor are not seen for the export of that Timeline to a .mov file saved to the computer. If that is correct then, in view of your other details, let us focus exclusively on the previewing of the just imported and rendered Timeline content....

When you drag the file to the Expert workspace Timeline track as the first file to that track, immediately is there "no colored line" above that Timeline content?

If you have the following options with Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Mac as contrasted with my Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Windows....

1. Do you get improved previewing if you right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality and then Highest instead of Automatic?

2. Are you working with Edit Menu/Preferences/General and Timeline Rendering Quality = High quality/Slow Speed?

3. Are these previewing problems gone if you use the .mp4 version from the device's recording session instead of the .mov one which you are using now?

4. Did we determine that the computer's video card/graphics card driver version is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Problems with 4k videos form the Dji Phantom 3 Professional
                    niklasn38012392 Level 1

Hello ATR

Usually there is no colored line above the Timeline.

1.Yes I have selected the highest quality.

2.I've also selected Rendering Quality High quality/Slow Speed.

3.I have tried it with an mp.4 file but it gets even worse.

4.I couldn't find a update for my graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 5000)

Sadly nothing improved yet but thank you for your effort.

Do you have further advice for me?

Thanks for your reply!

Niklas

• 7. Re: Problems with 4k videos form the Dji Phantom 3 Professional
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

niklasn

Thanks for the replies. Sorry that the results did not improve.

Since you have Premiere Element 14 (current version), you might try to get Adobe support via its online Adobe Chat.

That does not prohibit you from troubleshooting here, and it could expediate matters if Adobe has some undocumented information on 4K Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Mac on El Capitan.

What I would suggest, if you have not done it already, is to export the 4K 3840 x 2160 @ 30 progressive frames per second to a file saved to the computer hard drive. Specifically,

Export & Share

Devices

Computer and 4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 with format MOV - H.264 or MP4 - H.264.

For Quality, Low = 30 Mbps; Mid setting = 100 Mbps; High = 200 Mbps.

Then evaluate what the playback of the export looks and sounds like.

Doing this should help us decide whether your issues are solely related to previewing or not.

Please consider.

ATR

• 8. Re: Problems with 4k videos form the Dji Phantom 3 Professional
                        niklasn38012392 Level 1

Hello ATR

Now i tied it with a other Mac with more performance and it works!

But i also followed your advices on the Macbook but it still don't gets better.

Thank you for all your effort!

Niklas

• 9. Re: Problems with 4k videos form the Dji Phantom 3 Professional
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Niklas

Thanks for the update and results of your troubleshooting.

With the first Mac, were both the previewing and the export quality poor?

What was the difference in computer specifications for first Mac results versus second Mac results.

You mentioned that the second Mac had more performance. It would be interesting to know more about that.

If your time permits, we would be interested in evaluating your issue in terms of the above.

Best wishes

ATR