3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2016 11:06 AM by dj_paige

Multiple computers with each hard drive mapped in Catalog

Kaptainkatsu

I know the multiple computer question has been beaten to death but I have not found the exact answer to my question.

I just purchased a new iMac and have been previously been using a Macbook Pro as my Lightroom computer. I have read all the posts on how to manage lightroom on multiple computers.

So here is my setup: iMac (now going to be my main LR computer), Macbook Pro (for use when I'm out on the road) and external Harddrive (which I have been using to store the bulk of my photos.) I copied my LR catalog files to my iMac and everything works fine. But here is what I want to do.

When I am in LR, I want it to show three drives, iMac, MBP and external. I renamed my iMac hdd to "iMac" and the MBP as "MBP." The external shows up as it always did as external. So when I copied the Catalog to the iMac, it just maps the drive "iMac" as if it were the "MBP" and shows my original file structure as my MBP. So in this setup, my photos just show up as missing which is what I expected it would. But what I wasn't expecting was that LR just renamed my HDD tree "MBP" to "iMac" instead of creating a new HDD tree "iMac."

So is there anyway to have LR create a new HDD tree "iMac", retain the "MBP" tree as whats on my MBP and keep the external as is?

• 1. Re: Multiple computers with each hard drive mapped in Catalog
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi Kaptainkatsu,

Katsu Tanda wrote:

When I am in LR, I want it to show three drives, iMac, MBP and external. I renamed my iMac hdd to "iMac" and the MBP as "MBP." The external shows up as it always did as external. So when I copied the Catalog to the iMac, it just maps the drive "iMac" as if it were the "MBP" and shows my original file structure as my MBP. So in this setup, my photos just show up as missing which is what I expected it would. But what I wasn't expecting was that LR just renamed my HDD tree "MBP" to "iMac" instead of creating a new HDD tree "iMac."

So is there anyway to have LR create a new HDD tree "iMac", retain the "MBP" tree as whats on my MBP and keep the external as is?

Where exactly do you have the catalog stored?

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

If you are not able to access the images and the edits, why do you them to be added to the catalog?

The best way for you would be to keep the images and the catalog on the external harddrive and then use it on any computer you want.

~Mrinmay

• 2. Re: Multiple computers with each hard drive mapped in Catalog
            Kaptainkatsu Level 1

The catalog is on the main drive of both computers. I would rather have the catalog on the main drive since they are both SSDs and the external is on a slow spinning disk. I'm trying to keep the photos I'm editing on the fastest drive possible before moving to the external for archive purposes.

• 3. Re: Multiple computers with each hard drive mapped in Catalog
              dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom doesn't "map" drives, it only knows about the drives that have photos imported, which initially is your external drive and the MBP drive. It won't know about your iMac drive until such time as you import a photo into Lightroom from the iMac drive, or until YOU re-connect the folders (Lightroom will not do this by itself).

So, you would need to reconnect the photos to the MBP drive using these instructions: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders