4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 11:57 AM by Sylle

Automating link in Acrobat

Sylle

I have a product catalouge made in InDesign and exportet to pdf.

In this pdf I would like Acrobat - or some extension/program to find all of the product numbers and create a link on it.

The link is "fphk://item/?number=" plus the product number.

Can somebody help or have any experience on this subject?

• 1. Re: Automating link in Acrobat
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you can do it in InDesign I suggest you do it there.

It's possible to do it in Acrobat, but it requires using a script or a stand-alone tool, like these products I've developed: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat -- Create Custom Links from Text

If you want to do it yourself you'll need to write a script that iterates over all of the words in all of the pages of the file, comparing them to a list of product codes, and if a match is found the script converts the word's quads to a rectangle and adds a link in that location with the desired action. Keep in mind that a script can only apply JS-based actions to a link.

• 2. Re: Automating link in Acrobat
            Sylle Level 1

Thank you for the answer.

You wrote - if you can do it in InDesign  I suggest you do it here. Is there a way to automate the linking of productnumbers to the url including the productnumber in Indesign?

I have always made the links in InDesign, but manually, and it takes a lot of time :-)

The program you have developed, does it work in my scenario?

• 3. Re: Automating link in Acrobat
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sorry, I'm not proficient enough in ID to tell you if it's possible to do it there, and if so, how.

Yes, you could use my program to do it directly in the PDF file.

• 4. Re: Automating link in Acrobat
                Sylle Level 1

Thanks for the support :-) I will try your free demo version, and return if I run into any questions.

I am sure this is the right software to solve my problems :-)