6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2016 1:43 AM by Roei Tzoref

When I've converted vector layers to shapes, they become un-cropped and the layer becomes the full size of the compostion. Why?

markr98315550

How do I retain layer sizes when I import to After Effects and convert vector layers to shapes? I currently import AI files into AE as "composition with retained layer sizes." They appear as separate and cropped layers in the AE compostion. When I select all vector layers and convert them to shapes, they become uncropped. This happens to most of the layers but some of the layers do remain cropped. I don't understand why it's not uniform or how to make them all uniformly cropped. I've done this in the past with no issues.

This is the initial state, where all layers are still vectors and cropped to their correct size. You can see I selected the first layers (a cloud) and you can see the handles are contained to the size of the layer.

Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 7.35.49 PM.png

I then right-click and convert the vector layer to a shape

Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 7.36.03 PM.png

Now that it is converted, the layer now extends to the full size of the composition. The handles for transforming the shape are at the corners of the composition.

Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 7.36.25 PM.png