7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2016 7:12 AM by trshaner

loosing style from my camera (sony a7II)

xSepia

Hello,

I like to had effects or style (Vivid/Autumn leaves/Black & White/Sepia etc.) directly on my camera. When I import the photo on the Lightroom I loose the effect I've put.

Does it exist an option to keep the style from my camera when importing the photos ?

thanks for your help

Rocco

• 1. Re: loosing style from my camera (sony a7II)
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi xSepia,

Which version of Lightroom are you using?

While importing your Picture in Lightroom check if Develop settings are getting applied

Untitled.png

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: loosing style from my camera (sony a7II)
            xSepia Level 1

Hello Akash,

I'm using Lightroom 5

I'll try to set the "Develop Settings" option.

Thanks very much for your quick reply.

xSepia

• 3. Re: loosing style from my camera (sony a7II)
              joachims25232702 Level 1

Hi,

you can also get these Camera profils, some of them seem to me to be better than the build in ones. I always use them.

Make yourself a a Develop Setting with these and apply them during import, or later.

http://www.colorfidelity.com/sony.htm

• 4. Re: loosing style from my camera (sony a7II)
                Hal P Anderson Level 6

If you are importing raw files, Lightroom will not honour the styles that you set in camera. It will apply its own interpretation of the raw data. If you want to use the in-camera styles, you'll need to shoot JPEG images, not raw.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: loosing style from my camera (sony a7II)
                  xSepia Level 1

Thanks to all

I'm effectively using RAW files.

I know that I can use presets. I've already download some of them and create others myself. But I like to keep exactly what I've seen in my viewfinder when I shot the image.

Maybe I have to use an other software. And maybe we will have a new feature in a new version of LR.

• 6. Re: loosing style from my camera (sony a7II)
                    joachims25232702 Level 1

Hi,

your (and my) A7 shows you the cooked Jpeg in your EVF. When you shoot raw and import raw, there will be no A7 specific JPEG filters be applied, like you saw them in the EVF. You have to do that manually. If you selected different ones every time you shoot, then you have to remember them. Or you import JPEG and RAW, let LR load them both and compare them and then select the profile so that the Raw looks like the Jpeg (or use the Huelight filter, then it even looks better than the A7 Jpeg).

My observation is, that the (any) EVF is far from perfect. You look at an cooked, white balanced  8-bit Jpeg and your perception and composition is reflected of what you see. For example, if you set AWB to auto while shooting a sunset and then look through your EVF, you will be surprise of what you see in terms of colors. And this will reflect itself in the way how you compose your photo.

And then, when you load all into LR as raw, it is again different.

My eye is so trained on how daylight analog film shows colors, that I had and have a hard time judging the potential image through the EVF. I shoot all with AWB "off" to see the same through the AWB as I see without and do AWB later. And I do "Vivid" with color+2 and contrast+2 which for me resembles the view without EVF. In LR I then use Huelight-landscape, a contrast gradient curve and vibrance +2.

• 7. Re: loosing style from my camera (sony a7II)
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

xSepia wrote:

I'm effectively using RAW files.

I know that I can use presets. I've already download some of them and create others myself. But I like to keep exactly what I've seen in my viewfinder when I shot the image.

Maybe I have to use an other software. And maybe we will have a new feature in a new version of LR.

This has been discussed many times here in the forum. The only way to use in-camera style settings is with the camera manufacturer provided raw converter software. LR does not read or use the "styles" image file data...and probably never will! Best advice is to set your camera to raw + JPEG mode until you determine what settings are required to achieve the desired look (i.e. style).

First place to start is with the 'Camera' profiles found in the 'Camera Calibration' panel. Some tips at the link below.

Re: Matching Lightroom Develop Settings to In-Camera Picture Styles