8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2016 3:17 PM by johnrellis

Date metatag

michell42839497

After having imported my catalog from Revel, it looks like I have lost all the dates. The filters show indeed that about 10'000 pictures do not have any date. Still, whenever I pick up one of those and read them in 1:1 format, the date shows up and is correct. Is there any bug with the date filter?

• 1. Re: Date metatag
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi michell,

Could you please let me know the version of Lightroom that you have installed on your computer ?

Also which operating system are you working on , Windows or MAC ?

Are you viewing the images in the Grid View , where you are not able to view the Metadata Date in the Metadata Panel ?

Regards,

Tanuj

• 2. Re: Date metatag
            michell42839497 Level 1

I'm using the version Lightroom : CC 2015.3 [ 1052427 ] on Windows 10 Family. When I view the images in the Grid View, the filter shows that the date is unknown.

But if I view them in full screen, the date is readily available as shown here below

I do not know how to see the date field in the metadata as it is not being shown in the different descriptions.

Regards.

Michel

• 3. Re: Date metatag

It seems that the Capture Date is not there for this image.

Could you please check and let me know if the Capture Date is there in the Metadata panel or not.

• 4. Re: Date metatag
                michell42839497 Level 1

It is true that I cannot see the capture date for all the images that I have imported from the Revel catalogue. Still, there is a date being shown on the full screen picture, so I'm confused.

• 5. Re: Date metatag

I am sending you a Private Message, please reply.

• 6. Re: Date metatag
                    johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

When photos are missing capture dates in their metadata, LR has always been inconsistent and buggy.  The photos you've imported are missing capture dates in their metadata, and in this case LR tries to supply a capture date using the file date created or modified.  But it doesn't do this correctly and it gets confused: It sorts photos by capture time incorrectly, and you've discovered that the filter bar doesn't work.  I've added these symptoms to the bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Still inconsistent capture date/time for photos and videos.  Please add your vote and opinion, and maybe Adobe will finally fix this bug before the next ice age.

• 7. Re: Date metatag
                      @intermission

hi. first post. know it's been answered but I have a related query.

I can't see any advantage in LR supplying a capture date based on file, capture or modified date?

This hasn't always been the case has it?

The metadata filter has listed photos, without a capture date, as unknown before, and it's been a useful feature for me.

I would really rather LR list photos as date unknown.

Is there a setting that can be changed? is it update related? is there a work around using smart collections?

• 8. Re: Date metatag
                        johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                        I can't see any advantage in LR supplying a capture date based on file, capture or modified date?

For videos, LR often isn't able to read the capture date from the video metadata (because Adobe didn't finish the feature). So using the file-created or file-modified date often provides a useful substitute, since those dates are usually close to the capture date.

This hasn't always been the case has it?

It's been doing this in some form since at least version 3, I think.

The metadata filter has listed photos, without a capture date, as unknown before, and it's been a useful feature for me. I would really rather LR list photos as date unknown.

For photos, it usually does show Unknown in the Metadata browser.  

But LR is inconsistent (buggy) in its behavior: For photos and videos without a capture date stored in its metadata, it can use different dates for showing under the thumbnail in grid view, in the Capture Date in the Metadata panel, for sorting in grid view, and in the Metadata browser.   See this bug report for details and workarounds: Lightroom: Still inconsistent capture date/time for photos and videos | Photoshop Family Customer Community