5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 5:31 AM by Szalam

Making Water Droplet and Splash?

louiseh29973073

Hi there,

I'd like to create this sort of effect but with multiple water droplets and without the text/logo:

https://youtu.be/i0OoZDM6bTg

Is is possible to create without plugins? I've searched internet tutorials but can't find anything which really fits.

Any advice much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Louise

(AE CC 2015)

• 1. Re: Making Water Droplet and Splash?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is footage of an actual water droplet that has been laid over top of the logo then the logo is being distorted by some sort of ripple effect. The droplet is not created in AE in that example.

That being said, you could use Wave World to create ripples like that pretty easily, then all you would have to do would be to animate a droplet.

• 2. Re: Making Water Droplet and Splash?
            louiseh29973073 Level 1

Thanks Szalam, that is helpful. Sorry to sound a bit basic, but can you advise on animating a droplet too?

Many thanks,

Louise

• 3. Re: Making Water Droplet and Splash?

There are a number of ways to do it depending on what you're going for.

Make a small circle, apply a linear gradient ramp effect to it, apply bevel alpha effect (increase the size of the bevel), apply the Colorama effect and use one of the metallic presets for the output. That should give you something kind of droplet-like or, at least, give you an idea of a direction to go. Then simply animate the position and wiggle the edges of the circle around (you could do this with Turbulent Displace or simply animating the path that creates the circle).

• 4. Re: Making Water Droplet and Splash?
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'd do it as a practical effect.  Get a good GoPro.  Set it to 120 frames/sec or higher if it will let you.  Paint a big container white on the inside.   Rig an eyedropper over it.  Roll the camera and squeeze the eyedropper.  Do it a bunch of times.  Get one you like, import into AE, and conform the frame rate to 29.97.

This is actually easier and CERTAINLY more realistic-looking than jiggering something together in AE.

• 5. Re: Making Water Droplet and Splash?

Dave LaRonde wrote:

I'd do it as a practical effect.

This is actually easier and CERTAINLY more realistic-looking than jiggering something together in AE.

And more fun!