9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2016 1:17 PM by jyostfl

Missing files

jyostfl

Need a little help. Some original photos are missing, although LR still shows previews. The file(s) exist in the original location and can be opened in Finder (on iMac), but LR does not recognize the files when I use the locate missing files feature. Same issue for the backup. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Missing files
          khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi

Greetings!!!

Have you ever renamed or moved file to any other location ?

Regards

Jitendra

• 2. Re: Missing files
            dj_paige Level 9

but LR does not recognize the files when I use the locate missing files feature

Explain exactly what you did here in great detail, and what happened -- what did you see on your screen that tells you it didn't work (again lots of detail needed), and provide screen captures to show us. If there is an error message, please quote the exact word-for-word verbatim complete error message.

• 3. Re: Missing files
              jyostfl Level 1

I think I have uncovered the issue, although I do not know how it happened.

LR is looking for a photo named "2015-01 South America 5933.CR2". But photo is stored as "2015-02 South America 5933.CR2".

Interestingly, only some of the files have this mismatch. And I imported all the files at the same time using the same process. In addition, I have been in and out of the folders many times and even exported jpg files from LR.

So it appears, the names that LR is using have changed selectively (not all in any one folder, but across a number of folders). I believe I have all the files, but now need to sync them between LR and the file names.

I can fix one at a time, but is there a way to change the name that LR recognizes so that it matches the file name on a group basis?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Missing files
                dj_paige Level 9

If the names are mismatched, I don't know of any way to batch fix the problem, it seems that you will have to do it one-by-one.

You might want to check your backup photos to see if the names on the backups match what is in Lightroom, then there are ways to reconnect many/all photos in one operation.

• 5. Re: Missing files
                  jyostfl Level 1

Thanks. Both the original and back up have the same names. It is LR that is different!

Thanks.

Jim

• 6. Re: Missing files
                    dj_paige Level 9

Are you 100% sure you don't have somewhere on your hard disk(s) a photo named "2015-01 South America 5933.CR2" and a different photo named "2015-02 South America 5933.CR2"?

Also, I suppose if you were good at writing SQL code, you could fix the problem that way.

• 7. Re: Missing files
                      jyostfl Level 1

I have checked and no such luck (or bad luck?). I could understand if all were different, but just some! Hard to understand.

I do not know SQL, so probably will have to do one at a time.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Missing files
                        dj_paige Level 9

I'm going to be very picky about wording here, because across the internet I am not 100% sure about what you mean.

You said

I have checked ...

Does this mean that

1. you used your operating system's search feature to do the search
                        2. you searched yourself by looking in a few folders
                        3. something else
                        • 9. Re: Missing files
                          jyostfl Level 1

To be clear, I used the operating system’s search function to look on both the external drive and the computer hard drive. Nada! I only wish.