8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 11:14 AM by tinathpot

Paste from Word with only basic formatting (bold/italic)?

tinathpot

This is driving me mad.

I have a large Word document that I have to paste into InDesign bit by bit. The text has been pedantically proof-read and it is very important that all the bolds and italics stay intact.

In the Word file, all text is in Arial.

In Indesign, I'm turning it to Myriad and Minion Pro. So, I have paragraph styles formatting the text to either one of those.

When I paste the text, it gets pasted in Arial. I select it and apply the Paragraph style which is supposed to convert it to Myriad/Minion, yet, it doesn't really work. Some lines get converted, some don't, the font size doesn't change etc... it's random. I could tell it to "apply paragraph style, clear overrides" - but that would kill all the bold and italics, which I neeeeed to keep!

I have looked into ID preferences and there are only two options for clipboard handling:

When pasting text and tables from other applications, paste:

( ) All information (index markers, swatches, styles, etc)

( ) Text only

And Word's preferences have:

"Include formatted text in Clipboard."

as the only yes/no option regarding clipboard.

Whyyy is there nothing inbetween? I only need to keep bolds and italics. Nothing else!

I'm using ID CS4 on OSX 10.6.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Paste from Word with only basic formatting (bold/italic)?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You should work in WORD with styles. Paragraph styles and Character Styles. Import the text not via copy and paste, import it via File > Place …

• 2. Re: Paste from Word with only basic formatting (bold/italic)?
            tinathpot Level 1

You mean - turn every bold and italic into a character style in Word? That sounds like an awful lot of work, might as well manually re-apply every format in InDesign, which is what I'm doing at the moment and it's doing my head in. I'm looking for a way to speed this process up.

• 3. Re: Paste from Word with only basic formatting (bold/italic)?
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Place the file in ID. The bold and italic should come through just fine.

Create two character styles in ID. One for bold and one for italic.

Do a find and change for any bold text and change it to have the bold style. Same with italic.

Takes on a minute or two and I think there’s a script floating around to do it.

• 4. Re: Paste from Word with only basic formatting (bold/italic)?
                tinathpot Level 1

Hm... that might work if I was doing a fresh design and if the whole text was all in one flow. But the specific problem I have is that I have a pre-made design of this brochure, which is in Czech, and I have a word file with all the texts from the brochure translated to Croatian, so I have to paste the translations piece by piece into already existing text frames in order to preserve the same layout and formatting, and different parts of the text use different fonts...  so just placing a whole 70-page file into Indesign and formatting it at once and find/replacing all styles doesn't really work here.

Maybe my situation is simply too specific and there's no help :/

Ideally it would be possible to only paste with basic formatting... Dreamweaver has this option, for example. I hoped maybe there's a secret in InDesign for a similar functionality or maybe even that newer versions of ID have this option, since I'm using quite an old one...

• 5. Re: Paste from Word with only basic formatting (bold/italic)?
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Tina,

have a look at the script RichPaste v1.4 by Marc Autret:

Indiscripts :: RichPaste | Copy and Paste with Minimal Formatting

Had no time to test it yet, but it could be useful in your case.

Please report back, if it is of any use. And also drop Marc a line…

Uwe

• 6. Re: Paste from Word with only basic formatting (bold/italic)?
                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I think you should reconsider your workflow:

1. You should work with styles everywhere
                    2. Work with a single threaded text and not with hundreds of independent text frames. If you need specific frame breaks, do it with Paragraph Styles and their break options.
                    3. You might consider for translation issues to use XML or at least the IDML. IDML is a zipped file with XML content. You can replace text there to in a text editor.
                    4. Bold and Italic should always be done with styles, I recommend to use strong and em as style and not bold and italic as it would be to descriptive.
                    • 7. Re: Paste from Word with only basic formatting (bold/italic)?
                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just a follow-up with testing the script RichPaste by Marc Autret:

I had trouble with the part of the script that will add a new menu command. The command was not be created, instead an error message popped up:

RichPaste-ErrorMessage.png

Roughly translated:

Warning

An attached (executed?) script is causing the following error:

Object is invalid

Do you want to deactivate the event handler?

[ ] Do not show again

[No]  [Yes]

This warning popped up three times. Every time I answered the warning message with [no].

After that I restarted the script again and it did what it supposed to do: Pasted the text with bold and italic preserved to the insertion point I selected before.

The issue with the menu could be due to my language version of InDesign, that is German.

I will investigate what is causing this. And also contact Marc on this issue.

But the other functionality is working as expected:

RichPaste-FinallySuccess.png

Tested with InDesign CC 2014.2 on Mac OSX 10.7.5.

Uwe

• 8. Re: Paste from Word with only basic formatting (bold/italic)?
                        tinathpot Level 1

Uwe, thank you SO much! RichPaste seems to work like cake for me!! That's exactly what I was looking for!!