7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2016 3:30 PM by AntD00d

Mac OS Xes' Chrome's Flash Players not updated?

AntD00d Level 1

Hello.

I noticed my Macs' (Mac OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.5 and Yosemite v10.10.5) 64-bit Chrome v47.0.2526.106's Flash players are still at v20.0.0.228. Accordng to Adobe - Flash Player, I should have b267. Checking Chrome's Help About say they are updated. And yes, I restarted Chrome web browsers and machines a few times. What's up? I never had this problem before. Did Google forget to update its Chromes on their ends?

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Mac OS Xes' Chrome's Flash Players not updated?
          m_vargas Adobe Employee

Hi,

It appears Google is updating Flash Player via component updates, as opposed to an update to Chrome itself.  To update Flash Player, do the following:

1. Launch Chrome and navigate to chrome://components
          2. In the list of components search for pepper_flash
          3. Click the Check for Update button
          4. Chrome will check for and install the update.

--

Maria

• 2. Re: Mac OS Xes' Chrome's Flash Players not updated?
            AntD00d Level 1

m_vargas wrote:

Hi,

It appears Google is updating Flash Player via component updates, as opposed to an update to Chrome itself.  To update Flash Player, do the following:

1. Launch Chrome and navigate to chrome://components
            2. In the list of components search for pepper_flash
            3. Click the Check for Update button
            4. Chrome will check for and install the update.

--

Maria

So, how are Chrome users supposed to update without doing this when they have automatic upgrades?

• 3. Re: Mac OS Xes' Chrome's Flash Players not updated?
              m_vargas Adobe Employee

Hi,

My understanding is that it's a method Google uses to roll-out an update without doing a complete Chrome update and the component update eventually happens automatically.  This method is only required if a user wants to update the component prior to the automatic update happening.  More information is available here, Manage Chrome updates on Windows - Chrome for Work and Education Help.  While this page is for Windows, the 'Chrome Component Updater' section is applicable to both Mac and Windows.

--

Maria

• 4. Re: Mac OS Xes' Chrome's Flash Players not updated?
                AntD00d Level 1

m_vargas wrote:

Hi,

My understanding is that it's a method Google uses to roll-out an update without doing a complete Chrome update and the component update eventually happens automatically.  This method is only required if a user wants to update the component prior to the automatic update happening.  More information is available here, Manage Chrome updates on Windows - Chrome for Work and Education Help.  While this page is for Windows, the 'Chrome Component Updater' section is applicable to both Mac and Windows.

--

Maria

Thanks Maria. I just noticed my Chrome's Flash players plugins were finally updated!

I wonder why Google took so long to release the security fixes.

• 5. Re: Mac OS Xes' Chrome's Flash Players not updated?
                  AntD00d Level 1

AntD00d wrote:

m_vargas wrote:

Hi,

--

Maria

Thanks Maria. I just noticed my Chrome's Flash players plugins were finally updated!

I wonder why Google took so long to release the security fixes.

According to https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/vPXw3G5GizI/chkbhugpDQAJ thread, Paula said it is a slow rollout. How slow is that? Like a week?

• 6. Re: Mac OS Xes' Chrome's Flash Players not updated?
                    m_vargas Adobe Employee

Thanks for the link to that thread.  It's up to Google to decide if they want to release a Flash Player update via a Chrome update or a component update, and I've them update Flash Player via both mechanism.  It's been my experience that component updates seem to take a bit longer to update than a complete Chrome update.  Unfortunately, I wouldn't have any insight as to how they decide which update mechanism to use and how quickly to roll out the update.

--

Maria

• 7. Re: Mac OS Xes' Chrome's Flash Players not updated?
                      AntD00d Level 1

m_vargas wrote:

Thanks for the link to that thread.  It's up to Google to decide if they want to release a Flash Player update via a Chrome update or a component update, and I've them update Flash Player via both mechanism.  It's been my experience that component updates seem to take a bit longer to update than a complete Chrome update.  Unfortunately, I wouldn't have any insight as to how they decide which update mechanism to use and how quickly to roll out the update.

--

Maria

I would assume we could get it fast if it was a security update. Google sure took its sweet time. :/