26 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2016 7:19 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I name files that they would have the correct order?

gediminassmaizys Level 1

I got slide11 coming before slide10 and slide1 after them and so on. Is there any way to sort them differently?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

gediminassnmaizys

What version Premiere Elements, what computer operating system?

Have you used a still naming scheme such as 0001.jpg, 0002.jpg, 0003.jpg, etc for files in folder on hard drive, and then imported the folder into

your Premiere Elements project?

Where are you doing your file ordering - in an album in Elements Organizer or in a folder on the computer hard drive?

Please consider and supply more details.

Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

gediminassmaizys

Add On to post 1

If you are using a Windows computer, have you noted that when you have a folder of photos saved to the computer hard drive, you can open the folder, right click anywhere in blank space in that folder, select Sort by option in the menu that appears, and select from an assortment of ways for the photos in the folder to be sorted...the file names would be in accord with the choice of Sort by option.

There are several Microsoft articles on the Windows Sort By if needed.

ATR

• 3. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
              gediminassmaizys Level 1

Thank you for answering.
              I'm using Premiere elements 14 with windows 7 32-bit. The files are named "slide1,slide2,... slide10,slide11,slide12" and so on. I'm trying to organize them in "project assets" pop-up once I imported the files into the program. In my windows folder the order is correct, the problem only occurs when i try to organize them in mentioned "project assets" pop-up by clicking "sort by>name(ascending)" I want them to start from slide1, not from slide111. I hope you can understand the problem?

• 4. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

gediminassmaizys

Thanks for the reply.

I believe that I understand the problem - and have road tested it.

Please consider the project photo ordering opportunities that I have already described, but for what you want to do (or I believe you want to do)....

1. For just 12 photos, name your files alphabetically a.jpe, b.jpg, through to l.jpg

2. Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Project Assets set for Panel Options with View = List View and Sort by = Name (ascending).

3. When you highlight all in Project Assets List View and drag the selection to the Timeline track, are the photo in order a.jpg to the last l.jpg?

If the above works for you, then we can discuss the file naming beyond 12 photos.

Please consider. Right now I believe that details in post 1 are most relevant to ordering photos for the project. My priority would be organizing them in Project Assets by importing a folder with the ordered files into Project Assets from the hard drive. Second place for me would be using the ordered photos in an Elements Organizer album.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                  gediminassmaizys Level 1

Hello, yes the method you described works fine for me, but I have about several hundred files to work with within a project, and obviously I couldn't rename all of them one by one. Are you saying that in the projects assets folder they should appear as they are organized in the folder on the hard drive?

• 6. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

gediminassmaizys

Thanks for the reply.

If you can order the files in a folder saved to the hard drive, you can import that folder into Premiere Elements Project Assets as the folder.

When you drag that folder from Project Assets to the Timeline track, all the files in the folder should present on the Timeline in the folder order.

In the screenshot, you will see this. Also, note that I can also open the folder in Project Assets and see the files in order.

Ordering.JPG

Please do a mini test run to determine if this works for you consistently to meet your project goal.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                      gediminassmaizys Level 1

I dragged and dropped the whole folder in the project assets at once, but the same problem seems to be happening both in the project assets and dragging it to the timeline. See picture for windows folder file order and then inside the program project assets/timeline. Untitled-1 copy.jpg

• 8. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

gediminassmaizys

Thanks for the screenshots. But, I think that we need to review the details of the screenshots that you just posted.

Your Project Assets shows the contents of the opened folder that you imported into the project. I see that the photos are in order

Slide 1, Slide 10, Slide 100, Slide 101, Slide 102....each slide appears to have a number higher than the one before it.

Now when I look at your Timeline representing the results from you dragging that whole folder to the Timeline, I again see the folder's files in order -

Slide 1, Slide 10, Slide 100, Slide 101, Slide 102....each slide appears to have a number higher than the one before it.

All that suggests that there is no ordering problem....you brought files ordered in a folder into a project and that order is being maintained at the Project Assets level as well as the Timeline level. So, right now, I am not seeing the basis for what you wrote

I dragged and dropped the whole folder in the project assets at once, but the same problem seems to be happening both in the project assets and dragging it to the timeline. See picture for windows folder file order and then inside the program project assets/timeline.

What is the "same problem" to which you refer to? Originally, you wrote about files appearing as 11, 10, 1 instead of 1, 10, and 11.

Please clarify. Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                          whsprague Level 4

I've never found a way around this for a large group of images, or clips.  My solution is to select and drag 1 through 9 into the time line.  Then 10 through 19, 20 through 29, 30 through 39, etc.  The assets window helps by marking what's been moved with a green dot.  You can keep track of the time line as you go and that helps avoid confusion. 

Perfect? No.  But for a 100 shot "slide show" it only takes a minute or two. 

Bill

• 10. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

gediminassmaizys

After I posted my reply 7, I got to wondering about that screenshot in your post 7, and I think I see what you meant by "same problem" IF what I see to the left of the Premiere Elements part is the actual content of the folder that you took into Premiere Elements. To the point, you see Slide1.jpg, followed by Slide10.jpg, not the sequence Slide2.jpg to Slide9.jpg. I was focusing on the Project Assets opened folder content versus that content opened on the Timeline. I assumed that the Project Assets view represented the actual hard drive folder with the ordered photos.

There is an easy and known solution for that if this is the "same problem" you just referred to. If you have 100 photos, then, in that hard drive folder, you name them Slide001.jpeg, Slide002.jpeg, Slide003.jpeg, Slide004.jpeg, Slide005.jpg........and then after Slide009.jpeg, you do Slide010.jpeg, Slide011.jpeg....and so forth until you get to Slide100.jpg.

OrderingWednesday.JPG

If you had 1000 photos, then you would use the format Slide0001.jpg, Slide0002.jpg......after Slide0009.jpg would come Slide0010.jpg.....end jpg would be Slide1000.jpg.

Please let me know if you are together on these details.

Thank you again for your follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 11. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                              gediminassmaizys Level 1

Hi,
                              You are correct. Adding a couple of 00, seems to fix this problem. I indeed was showing you my opened folder on the left, so you could see how the files are arranged there (that's the folder I'm importing into Elements). Is there any quick way to rename several hundred files in this way we're talking about?  Windows renaming system won't do, as it will only name all the files with the same name adding (1) (2) and so on. I'm gonna have to look this up.
                              Thank you again

• 12. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Basically Slide_001.jpg, Slide_002.jpg is the same as Slide(1).jpg, Slide(2).jpg

But if you download Photoshop CC you can do this in The Bridge.

• 13. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                                  gediminassmaizys Level 1

Hi, do you mean that if I up brackets inbetween "slide" and the number it would be the same as adding 00 infront?

• 14. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not clear (English is not my native language): could you type out what you exactly mean.   I am talking stills being sequential.

• 15. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                                      gediminassmaizys Level 1

I mean if I name the files like this:  "Slide(1).jpg, Slide(2).jpg" will it be the same as  " Slide_001.jpg, Slide_002.jpg" talking about the order/sequence in Premiere elements? becouse "slide1.jpg slide2.jpg" coused problems with more than 10 or 100 files.

• 16. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

gediminassmaizys

I can tell you first hand that

Slide(1).jpg, Slide(2).jpg

is not going to work for you in Premiere Elements 14/14.1. As you found out Slide001.jpg, etc. does. Please refer to

Ordering Thursday.JPG

If you have Photoshop Elements, you might want to go for file renaming using its Editor's File Menu/Process Multiple Files.

I will give that a try later today if you have not done that already.

ATR

• 17. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

gediminassmaizys

Add On to my post 16 which is being delayed in web processing...

This screenshot is the same as the last but includes a view of the hard drive folder that was imported

Ordering Supplemented.JPG

ATR

• 18. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                                            gediminassmaizys Level 1

Thank you for testing this out! I can't use Ann's method then. unfortunately, I do not own a copy of photoshop elements and cannot use it.

• 19. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

gediminassmaizys

I just got finished testing the use of Photoshop Elements 14 Edit/Process Multiple Files for the file renaming task. Then I found your post 18. Why can you not use Photoshop Elements. It will work for this purpose....using the files with base naming that existed at the time,  Slide(1), Slide(2)......Slide (9), Slide(10)....and so on, this is what the result was in Premiere Elements 14 Editor ordering when the folder with Photoshop Elements renamed files was imported and then the folder dragged to the Timeline....

Ordering Thursday More.JPG

The Photoshop Elements 14 Editor File Menu/Process Multiple Files looked like

Process.JPG

This was just a quick test pointed at Elements.

ATR

• 20. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

gediminassmaizys

At this moment, I am still waiting for my last post to you to be posted by the web people here.

The thread content shows successful renaming of your files for your purposes with Photoshop Elements 14 Editor File Menu/Process Multiple Files.

I did not see the part where you said that you do not have Photoshop Elements.

The following might be of use (it is free)

http://www.irfanview.com/

I just did a preliminary test. Looks good.

Irfanview - File Menu/Batch Conversion/Rename

More.JPG

When I did that, starting with the files still named from the last go around, I obtained a folder saved to the computer hard drive with the 13 photos

named image001.jpg  and sequentially to image013.jpg. This folder with renamed files could be used successfully in Premiere Elements for your purposes.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 21. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                                                  gediminassmaizys Level 1

I cannot use photoshop elements, becouse I only purchased Premiere elements.

• 22. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

gediminassmaizys

Thanks for the follow ups. I think that our latest posts got out of sync with the posting timing of the web site.

That free IrfanView program should work for you for renaming of your files so that they (in a folder) import into Premiere Elements ordered.

We will be watching for your progress (as your schedule permits).

Best wishes

ATR

• 23. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                                                      gediminassmaizys Level 1

I tried the same thing with irfanview and renamed the files accordingly. Thank you for showing me this! Everything works fine now with the images. What about audio files though? Irfanview doesn't handle audio files, as I understand? Or does it? I'm going to try it.

• 24. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                                                        gediminassmaizys Level 1

I tried it and it works fine with audio files as well

• 25. Re: How do I name files that they would have the correct order?
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

gediminassmaizys

Great news. Thanks for the information on the audio file renaming and IrfanView. Important to know it works.

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting. Appreciated.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements projects.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions and to ask for clarification on your Premiere Elements workflows.

ATR