18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 5:48 AM by trshaner

Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D

jonathana70581394

Hello, I recently installed Lightroom CC and have noticed that my photos look significantly darker, more contrasty, noisey and bandy when Lightroom handles the cr2 RAW format.  When I open the file in other raw viewers it looks fine.  I've looked all over the internet, I uninstalled CC and reverted back to Lightroom 5.6, but the problem is now there, too.  I sent the raw file to a friend to open up in his lightroom and photoshop and it looked as it should.  So, that leads me to believe that this is something to do with my settings or profiles in my adobe software particular to my computer and software's settings.  Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D
          deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

Hi,

Please go to the Preferences of the Lightroom and under the preset tab un-check the option which says "Apply Auto Tone Adjustment".

Restart the Lightroom and check the images again.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D
            jonathana70581394 Level 1

Hey, deepakgahlot, thanks for the reply and help!  Unfortunately, I already had that unchecked. 

• 3. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D

Also under the performance tab un-check the option which "Use graphics processor"

Try this out and check if this make any difference.

• 4. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D

Unfortunately, that was off too.  I really don't get it. When I look at these photos in different, non-adobe, RAW viewers, they look just fine.

Also, the preview of the file, looks fine.  I click on a file in my library and it looks good for a second, then the RAW conversion kicks in and it gets dark, contrasty, saturated and noisey.

Thanks again!  Any other ideas?

• 5. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D

Please to through this forum thread.

Is this the same issue that you are facing.

Re: Big problem recovery light and 70d

• 6. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D
                    dj_paige Level 9

Have you tried re-calibrating your monitor?

• 7. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D

Thanks for the continued help, guys!  Unfortunately, still having the issue and it's definitely not a monitor calibration issue. I know this because I can view these raw files in other viewers and they look just fine.  Also, a friend of mine opened up the file on his computer in adobe software and it looked normal as well.  Lightroom sets it to its default raw settings, it gets darker in the shadowed areas, contrasty, noise and banding occurs as well as some over saturation.

Here are a couple examples.  First is how it looks in Lightroom and then more how it should look just opening the file up in Windows picture viewer.  Huge differences.  Thanks again for any help!  I am in Windows 10, by the way.

LightroomExample.JPGWindowsViewerExample.JPG

• 8. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D
                        dj_paige Level 9

Thanks for the continued help, guys!  Unfortunately, still having the issue and it's definitely not a monitor calibration issue. I know this because I can view these raw files in other viewers and they look just fine.

This is incorrect logic. Some programs may not use the monitor calibration, and other programs do use it, causing the difference you see.

Calibrate your monitor.

• 9. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D

Ok, I give that a try, but I have been doing this for years and it just now became an issue.  I've never calibrated my monitor.  Why would this become an issue all of a sudden?

• 10. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D
                            elie_di Level 3

Windows Picture Viewer is not a Raw converter. It is showing you a jpg image made by the camera and embedded inside the Raw file. The camera does this because the Raw is not itself a viewable color image until it has undergone processing (either by the Raw conversion section of the camera's firmware or by Raw conversion software like LR) and in the meanwhile the camera has to show you an image on its lcd screen. So it makes a jpg for this purpose and embeds it inside the Raw file so that it can also be displayed by simple apps like WPV. While it is creating that jpg the camera also enhances it - corrects underexposure, cleans up noise, sharpens it, etc. When LR processes the Raw it also does some enhancing, but its initial (default) processing is much more moderate than the camera's and the default preview will never look as good as as the camera-made jpg. There is a basic difference in philosophy - the camera jpg is designed to be a more or less finished product, but LR's default is meant to be the first step in the processing that you the user will do. That is why we shoot Raw instead of just letting the camera pump out machine-made jpgs. That is what LR's sliders are for; you need to increase Exposure and perhaps Contrast, Shadows and Clarity, and to set the White and Black points. To set the Noise Reduction and Sharpening in the Detail panel. And that's just the beginning. At the same time, although Raw processing can do a great deal and do it better than camera processing, it can do more if the photography is better, i.e. properly exposed.

• 11. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D

Awesome, thank you for all the advice!  Yeah, I used a bad example with the Windows image viewer.  But, I also opened up the raw in Canon's Professional Photo software and I get desirable results there.  Only Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop do this strange interpretation.  Could it be a color profile thing?

• 12. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D
                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

WPV is showing the camera-embedded JPG, and DPP is developing the raw file as if the camera was doing it so again the camera settings.

LR is showing you how Adobe would process the raw data with whatever your default settings are.

Your issue is that the Adobe version is darker (at least).

I’d suspect one of two things is occurring:

1 – The camera is artificially brightening the image due to some camera mode like Active-D-Lighting on Nikon or Highlight Tone Priority on Canon that will automatically correct bad exposures or decrease the dynamic range of the camera-produced JPG by shooting darker then digitally brightening the shadows.

2 - You have some non-standard default set elsewhere besides the Basic toning panel, maybe the Tone curve isn’t straight or maybe Dehaze isn’t zero.

It looking ok on a friend’s computer suggests #2, that your LR defaults or initial settings aren’t what you expect.  If you check all the settings in the righthand panel of Develop and they all look like the zeros or as-shot defaults then it could be #1.  You could help confirm #2 isn’t the problem by exporting a smallish version of the image from LR as a JPG and uploading that JPG to the forum, so others can look at the settings you’ve used that should be embedded as history data in the JPG that is exported.  Better yet would be to export a DNG and upload that somewhere like Dropbox.com and post a public share link to it, here.

So why did things in LR suddenly start being darker than expected?

If #1 then you've made a change in the camera like enabled ADL or HTP or happen to be shooting into bright sky and the camera is autofixing the exposure while LR isn't.

If #2 then perhaps you've set a non-straight tone curve or a non-zero Dehaze for your LR defaults or are applying a preset during import that's doing the same thing.

It could also be something related to your monitor profile being incompatible with LR or your GPU having settings that make things darker.  You could set your monitor profile to the standard sRGB or reset your video driver settings back to default using the NVidia or ATICatalyst applet.

• 13. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D
                                  elie-d Level 4

Canon's DPP doesn't have a fixed defaul; it takes as it's default whatever you have set in the camera as jpg processing instructions - Picture Style, Automatic Light Optimization, NR, etc. It can do this because it has access to information encoded in the Raw file that LR doesn't have. The result is that the default DPP conversion always looks just like the jpg. You can change things, of course, but that's where it starts.

LR gives you a choice of Camera Profiles in the Calibration panel which attempt to emulate the color rendering of the Picture Styles (but not their sharpening and contrast that you must add separately.)

• 14. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D
                                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jonathana70581394 wrote:

Hello, I recently installed Lightroom CC and have noticed that my photos look significantly darker, more contrasty, noisey and bandy when Lightroom handles the cr2 RAW format. 

I adjusted the LR Develop module screenshot to lighten it up and make the shadow areas more visible. There's some very heavy "posterization" artifacts visible in the shadow areas. I don't see this posterization in the Windows Photo Viewer screenshot, so not likely it's due to JPEG compression in the posted screenshot file.

The most likely cause is an incompatible monitor profile. did you recently upgrade to Windows 10? The upgrade often hijacks the monitor profile and replaces it with an OEM profile that isn't compatible with LR. Try the below test to see if that is the cause:

How do I change my monitor profile to check whether it’s corrupted?

LightroomExample-Adjusted to see shadow area.jpg

• 15. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D
                                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Maybe it's a bad monitor profile, but I can make the ok-looking camera-embedded JPG screenshot into something that looks more like the other one by munging the medium-contrast curve a bit:

A way to check to see if it's the monitor profile would be to export the camera-settings JPG from DPP without making any adjustments then import that into LR and see if the colors are messed up or not.  If not then the raw conversion has odd settings somewhere, if the JPG colors are also similarly messed up then the monitor profile is likely the culprit.

• 16. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D

Holy cow, that worked, trshaner!  Thank you soooo much!  I was dreading the fact that I might have to edit the raws of each picture in a different piece of software.  Thank you, all, for you help!  I am so relieved.  As dj_paige advised earlier, I will work on calibrating my monitor as well.  Back to photo editing now!

• 17. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D

Welp, after doing what your link instructed me to do, the photos look correct in Lightroom, but when I export out a jpeg and, say, try to share it on facebook, it ends up having the same contrasty, noisey, posterized look.  So, I don't know now.  Very frustrating.

• 18. Re: Bad RAW processing CR2 Canon 60D
                                            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does the JPEG also look posterized in LR and Windows Photo Viewer, or just when viewed on Facebook? If it only looks bad on Facebook try using the below Export settings to restrict the image size to Facebook's 2048 pixel limit.