4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2009 11:12 PM by Phrankie

utility of flex application

tejudb
      I have one doubt if any of you can answer it. Flex application in the end generates SWF file. This file is definitely heavier then normal sites. Moreover if one is developing a photo gallery in flex i think it will take a lot of time loading the pages. Thats a drawback. One more thing. If someone say X needs some info on a topic related to photography and there is a site on photography in flex say xyz.com. If X searches with the keywords like photographs or photography then the chances of getting xyz.com in the search results are negligible. Then why develop sites in flex.
        • 1. Re: utility of flex application
          Gregory Lafrance Level 6
          Because search engines cannot index Flex apps (some SWF metedata capabilities have been added, but it is not sufficient), don't develop sites in Flex. Develop sites in XHTML/CSS and include great Flex apps in your pages. The content in XHTML will be indexed, and the great Flex apps will earn you big cash.

Write clean code with architecture in mind, and perhaps only download images as you need them, and Flex file size and image downloading issues should not be a consideration. This is especially true in light of what we can expect in the next 3 - 5 years, which is even greater bandwidth.
          • 2. Re: utility of flex application
            Level 7

"tejudb" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gpdf7g$mfe$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I have one doubt if any of you can answer it. Flex application in the end
            > generates SWF file. This file is definitely heavier then normal sites.
            > Moreover
            > if one is developing a photo gallery in flex i think it will take a lot of
            > time
            > loading the pages. Thats a drawback. One more thing. If someone say X
            > needs
            > some info on a topic related to photography and there is a site on
            > photography
            > in flex say xyz.com. If X searches with the keywords like photographs or
            > photography then the chances of getting xyz.com in the search results are
            > negligible. Then why develop sites in flex.

Most people aren't using Flex as an alternative for standard HTML sites.
            Instead, they're developing business applications. So the target users know
            where to find them (they are likely employed by or affiliated with the
            company that had them built) and someone has made a decision that the power
            gained in terms of data handling and experience control is worth the extra
            file size.

HTH;

Amy

• 3. Re: utility of flex application
              tejudb Level 1
              Thanks a lot for your reply. But i have never worked with xhtml. Can you throw some light on how to implement flex apps using xhtml.
              • 4. Re: utility of flex application
                Phrankie
                If you know HTML, then your basically there. XHTML is the new standard of HTML which requires 'well formed' XML formatting. Among other things, this means you can no longer leave open tags.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XHTML

p