33 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2016 5:31 AM by D Fosse

Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

dcooper7 Level 1

Hi there,

Can anybody shed some light on this Exporting issue please...

I've been Exporting my photography for the Web in Lightroom for a long time now, whilst my workflow was constantly in sRGB.

Recently I have bought a Wide Gamut Monitor and my workflow has since changed from sRGB to ProPhoto RGB.  I also convert to and save a copy as Adobe RGB for Print purposes.  I have my color calibrated monitor hooked up to my laptop.

Anyway I Exported an image in Lightroom CC from aRGB to sRGB as a JPEG to the web and the colors looked washed out, but when I experimented with Photoshop's 'Export As' feature and did the same conversion, the image retained the same level of saturation as the aRGB file.

Does anybody know if I am not doing something correct, or the reason why this is so?  I would ultimately prefer to be exporting and converting in Lightroom for ease of cataloging and general workflow.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

How are you viewing the exported jpg? Most web browsers understand sRGB, and should display it more or less correctly.

If you are viewing the image in a non-color managed application (like Internet Explorer) on a wide gamut monitor, images normally become over saturated, not washed out.

Can you post a screenshot of the image in LR and the exported jpg?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?
            khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi

Greetings!!!

Please post screenshot both the images.

Regards

Jitendra

• 3. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?
              dcooper7 Level 1

Thanks,

It appeared that Photoshop's 'Export As' feature did not convert to profile sRGB. I just tried to open the jpeg that I Exported in Photoshop, and Photoshop said that the image does not have an embedded profile, even though the 'convert to sRGB' box was checked.  Strange that it did not work in the same was as 'Save As' or Exporting in Lightroom. I wonder if the feature has a bug?

Anyway saving in Photoshop brought the same results in Lightroom....the issue seemed to be me working in aRGB on my monitor and expecting to see the same in an sRGB monitor. 

• 4. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is normal behavior when using a wide gamut monitor with applications that aren't fully color managed (i.e. use the monitor profile), such as Internet Explorer. Please read the information at this link for more details:

WIDE GAMUT ADOBE RGB LCD Monitors Screens Troubleshooting Over Saturated sRGB Color Reviews on the Web Tutorial

• 5. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?
                  dcooper7 Level 1

Thank you,

It seems like Chrome is showing muted colors, whereas Firefox is showing accurate colors when viewing my image on the web.

Is Chrome not color managed?

• 6. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

The Export feature in PS is an unfinished piece of work.

I just tested it in  PS 2015.1.1, and although you can choose Convert to sRGB, it doesn't embed the profile.

the issue seemed to be me working in aRGB on my monitor and expecting to see the same in an sRGB monitor.

Not quite sure what you mean here, but an image exported from LR in sRGB should appear very similar to the original when viewed in most web browsers, even on a wide gamut monitor.

Chrome should display the image correctly, if it's sRGB. Can you please post a screenshot of the image in LR and in Chrome?

• 7. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

dcooper7 wrote:

Thanks,

It appeared that Photoshop's 'Export As' feature did not convert to profile sRGB. I just tried to open the jpeg that I Exported in Photoshop, and Photoshop said that the image does not have an embedded profile, even though the 'convert to sRGB' box was checked.  Strange that it did not work in the same was as 'Save As' or Exporting in Lightroom. I wonder if the feature has a bug?

Anyway saving in Photoshop brought the same results in Lightroom....the issue seemed to be me working in aRGB on my monitor and expecting to see the same in an sRGB monitor.

PS 'Export As' and 'Save for Web' do not embed a color profile by design! The assumption is that sRGB is used universally on the Web to insure best compatibility. By not embedding a color profile the file is a few KBs smaller. From your description I also suspect that the sRGB box was NOT checked, which would create an image file with the original color space (aRGB). When viewing the aRGB image file in IE it assumes the image file is sRGB so doesn't convert it. Most wide gamut monitor are very close to Adobe RGB color gamut so the "unconverted" aRGB image file appears correct. It's a case of "Two Wrongs" make it right. The best solution is to use a color managed browser such as FireFox and set it to use your monitor profile as explained at the link I provided.

• 8. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?
                        dcooper7 Level 1

Thanks for your replies.

Here is the LR screen shot:

Capture1.JPG

And here is the Chrome screenshot:Capture2.JPG

Both these were taken from my Wide Gamut monitor, which is currently in sRGB mode. Firefox looks exactly the same as the LR version. More saturated.  I always use Chrome, I just downloaded Firefox today.

Here is the Firefox version:

Capture3.JPG

• 9. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?
                          dcooper7 Level 1

Thank you for your help.  I think I will move to Firefox as I'm seeing the same image colours as in Lightroom.

• 10. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

dcooper7 wrote:

Both these were taken from my Wide Gamut monitor, which is currently in sRGB mode. Firefox looks exactly the same as the LR version. More saturated.  I always use Chrome, I just downloaded Firefox today.

If your monitor is set to sRGB mode then there shouldn't be any issue when viewing sRGB image files! There's no need to restrict your wide gamut monitor to sRGB for Web browser use.

FireFox must be set to use the monitor profile as outlined here:

BEST FIREFOX TEST PAGE How To Enable FULL COLOR MANAGEMENT of ICC Profiles in FF31 Fire Fox thru FF 3.6

About:Config

Chrome used to be configurable to use the monitor profile, but it has been broken in the later updates:

Latest 'update' for Chrome stopped "--enable monitor profile" working: PC Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

• 11. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

I just did a test with Chrome (version 47) - I exported three versions of a file from Lightroom, with sRGB, Adobe RGB and ProPhoto, and they all display identically, and very close to what the image looks like in LR. As far as I can remember, in the past it would only display sRGB correctly, but maybe I'm wrong ...

The same thing happens in Opera, which uses the Chromium engine.

I use a wide gamut, calibrated monitor.

I also exported the image from Photoshop, with Convert to sRGB checked, which resulted in an untagged, over saturated image, which looked the same everywhere, even on my second, standard gamut monitor.

Out of curiosity, I did the test with Internet Explorer as well, and the interesting thing that happened then was that on the standard gamut monitor, the untagged image was not over saturated, it displayed normally, like the sRGB image.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

Did you view the images in a web page or drag & drop (open file) into the browser...it makes a difference. I uploaded some test files to Dropbox,which you can test in-browser by double-clicking on each file.

Dropbox - Monitor Test files

On Windows 7 using Chrome version 47 Version all of the files appear saturated on my wide gamut monitor except the Adobe RGB file with no embedded profile. It appears slightly lower in saturation. ERGO: Chrome does not use the monitor profile. IE 10 behaves the same except the Adobe RGB file with no embedded profile appears correct because aRGB is close to the monitor profile. Not sure why Chrome desaturates this file so it must be treating untagged image files differently. FireFox is the only browser that works as expected with all of these files.

• 13. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

Thanks for that, but the link goes to a page with black, white and gamma test images.

I didn't realize that drag'n'drop to open an image and viewing it on the internet made a difference. Very interesting.

• 14. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?
                                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is Chrome not color managed?

Chrome on windows is only semi-color managed. It does not take the monitor profile into account but it does respect embedded profiles in images. Strangely on Macs, Chrome is fully color managed. Apparently the Chrome developers mimic the behavior of the system browser (i.e. IE on Windows and Safari on Macs) in how they apply color management. IE's color management is only half-baked too and not useful. This means that on your wide gamut monitor, Chrome (like IE) will always look wrong and you probably shouldn't use it. Nothing that you can do about that. trshaner is right that on Windows you really should only use Firefox on a wide gamut monitor. There used to be a way to make Chrome fully color managed on windows by launching it using a --enable-monitor-profile flag but that is apparently no longer the case.

• 15. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

Per Berntsen wrote:

Thanks for that, but the link goes to a page with black, white and gamma test images.

I didn't realize that drag'n'drop to open an image and viewing it on the internet made a difference. Very interesting.

Sorry, try this link

Dropbox - Web Browser Color Management Test Files

• 16. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

On Windows 7 using Chrome version 47 Version all of the files appear saturated on my wide gamut monitor except the Adobe RGB file with no embedded profile. It appears slightly lower in saturation. ERGO: Chrome does not use the monitor profile.

Yes you're absolutely right. I'm going to set up a test page on my website to investigate things further.

But Chrome is displaying sRGB images correctly on my website (just checked) - they're not over saturated like in IE.

• 17. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?
                                          dcooper7 Level 1

Thanks for your help and tests.

Today I have noticed that Firefox is displaying the less saturated version (the same as Chrome) on my laptop screen, which is Extended from my calibrated Monitor screen.  It seems like the laptop screen is confusing me and for some reason, perhaps me dragging the browser from one screen to the other, in different colorspaces,  is causing issues with the colors to change?

I did calibrate my laptop screen with the i1profiler a couple of weeks ago, but I cranked up the brightness, it was too dark and ultimately I thought that I did not need my laptop calibrated.

It looks like my calibrated monitor, in sRGB, is now displaying the less saturated version in LR, even though I cranked up the vibrance so that it would match the aRGB version of my image.  I am confused to say the least. I use the i1 pro on the Eizo with Color Navigator.

Also when I am in Library mode of Lightroom on the Monitor I see the less saturated version of the image and when I go into Develop, I see the saturated image...

Update*  I have turned Firefox Color Managment on and the Firefox browser is now showing the Vibrant version again, even when I drag the broswer from the Monitor to the laptop screen.

• 18. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?
                                            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just throwing a little caveat into the discussion at this point:

Firefox does not have multi-monitor support. Even when correctly configured, it will only work as expected on the main monitor. What happens is that this is the monitor profile it will use regardless of which monitor the app window happens to be on.

But with that in mind, it is the only browser usable with wide gamut monitors (since mode 1 also handles untagged material correctly by assigning sRGB).

• 19. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

>Today I have noticed that Firefox is displaying the less saturated version (the same as Chrome) on my laptop screen, which is Extended from my calibrated Monitor screen.  It seems like the laptop screen is confusing me and for some reason, perhaps me dragging the browser from one screen to the other, in different colorspaces,  is causing issues with the colors to change?

That's definitely possible. The operating system should notify the app that it should use a different monitor profile but perhaps that doesn't work well. On my Mac if I do that, I can see the color being off for just a fraction of a second and then it recovers and looks the same as on my big screen.

>I did calibrate my laptop screen with the i1profiler a couple of weeks ago, but I cranked up the brightness, it was too dark and ultimately I thought that I did not need my laptop calibrated.

If you are using both at the same time, you probably should keep your laptop display calibrated too.

>It looks like my calibrated monitor, in sRGB, is now displaying the less saturated version in LR, even though I cranked up the vibrance so that it would match the aRGB version of my image.  I am confused to say the least. I use the i1 pro on the Eizo with Color Navigator.

Those calibrators should give you good results. My guess is that the LESS saturated version is actually the correct one. I would only trust display in fully color managed apps on a calibrated display.

>Also when I am in Library mode of Lightroom on the Monitor I see the less saturated version of the image and when I go into Develop, I see the saturated image...

Hmm. That is not normal. What happens when you go back to Library from Develop? Does it stay the same or does it desaturate. If it desaturates you are likely dealing with a problem with the monitor profile and Lightroom. You probably want to recalibrate. Also for safety, make sure the calibration software generates an ICC v2 profile. Lightroom is known to sometimes not play nice with v4 profiles, mostly in the rendering of the shadow areas.

>Update*  I have turned Firefox Color Managment on and the Firefox browser is now showing the Vibrant version again, even when I drag the broswer from the Monitor to the laptop screen.

Aha. That explains a lot! I am still worried about Library and Develop not being the same. That shouldn't happen. Even on a wide gamut display, the difference in saturation should be minimal to negligible. There is one exception which is if your image has a lot of noise and you're applying a lot of color noise reduction which is not accurately reflected in the Develop display when zoomed out.

• 20. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

D Fosse wrote:

Firefox does not have multi-monitor support. Even when correctly configured, it will only work as expected on the main monitor. What happens is that this is the monitor profile it will use regardless of which monitor the app window happens to be on.

You can run two separate instances of  FF using Profile Manager. I'm fairly certain it uses the correct monitor profile for each display.

Use the Profile Manager to create and remove Firefox profiles | Firefox Help

• 21. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

trshaner wrote:

I'm fairly certain it uses the correct monitor profile for each display.

OK. I'm strictly single-screen myself, so this is just something I picked up a while ago, can't test it.

• 22. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?
                                                    I uploaded some test files to Dropbox,which you can test in-browser by double-clicking on each file.

It seems that Dropbox does something to the previews you see in a web browser. I saved the ProPhoto preview, and when opening it in PS, I got this message:

ICC-errormessage.png

The image then opened untagged.

Then I downloaded the original, and opened that in PS too. Not surprisingly, the untagged image has more saturation.

PS-comparison.png

So I set up a test page on my website with the same image in sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto and untagged.

The three first display identically in Chrome (47), and also very close to what I see in Lightroom. Firefox does exactly the same.

Please see Test page for color profiles

I'm also on Windows 7, with a wide gamut, calibrated monitor, and I'm curious to know what you see.

• 23. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?
                                                      dcooper7 Level 1

Thanks for your replies.

Those calibrators should give you good results. My guess is that the LESS saturated version is actually the correct one. I would only trust display in fully color managed apps on a calibrated display.

It definetely was the saturated one; when I switched to sRGB mode, I turned up the vibrance to get more or less the same colorization that I had when I processed the image in ProPhoto (and created an aRGB copy) whilst I was in aRGB mode on the monitor.

If you are using both at the same time, you probably should keep your laptop display calibrated too.

My concern is that I use different calibration software for each, i1 profiler for the laptop and Color Navigator for the monitor, but with the same tool: i1 Display Pro. Also the laptop does look rather dark when calibrated.

Hmm. That is not normal. What happens when you go back to Library from Develop? Does it stay the same or does it desaturate. If it desaturates you are likely dealing with a problem with the monitor profile and Lightroom. You probably want to recalibrate. Also for safety, make sure the calibration software generates an ICC v2 profile. Lightroom is known to sometimes not play nice with v4 profiles, mostly in the rendering of the shadow areas. I am still worried about Library and Develop not being the same. That shouldn't happen. Even on a wide gamut display, the difference in saturation should be minimal to negligible. There is one exception which is if your image has a lot of noise and you're applying a lot of color noise reduction which is not accurately reflected in the Develop display when zoomed out.

I just went out for an hour and left the laptop and monitor on and Lightroom open, now it shows the same saturated version in Library and Develop. Answering your question, when the issue arised, when I went back to Library from Develop, I was seeing the unsaturated one in Library.  I believe this has happened before when I have auto imported images and developed them and seen less saturated versions in Library mode.

I will test it further and restart my laptop and check Library mode again.

*I just restarted the Laptop and I'm seeing the saturated version in Library and Develop now.

• 24. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

Per Berntsen wrote:

So I set up a test page on my website with the same image in sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto and untagged.

The three first display identically in Chrome (47), and also very close to what I see in Lightroom. Firefox does exactly the same.

Please see Test page for color profiles

I'm also on Windows 7, with a wide gamut, calibrated monitor, and I'm curious to know what you see.

Chrome 47: Only the untagged sRGB is incorrect (saturated).

IE 10: All four images are incorrect (saturated).

FireFox 43 All four images are correct.

So it appears Chrome does use the embedded color profile and monitor profile. But does no profile conversion at all with untagged images. If you're viewing a site that uses untagged sRGB images they will appear over saturated on a wide gamut display. Untagged Adobe RGB images should appear correct since that is close to the monitor profile gamut. I can see where this would lead to confusion (self included)!

I'm not sure what's happening with the Dropbox picture viewer, but it's (thankfully) of no consequence here.

• 25. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

I just went out for an hour and left the laptop and monitor on and Lightroom open, now it shows the same saturated version in Library and Develop. Answering your question, when the issue arised, when I went back to Library from Develop, I was seeing the unsaturated one in Library.  I believe this has happened before when I have auto imported images and developed them and seen less saturated versions in Library mode.

I will test it further and restart my laptop and check Library mode again.

*I just restarted the Laptop and I'm seeing the saturated version in Library and Develop now.

You might be having issues of sluggish preview generation in Lightroom. After you have been in Develop, Lightroom needs to generate a new preview jpeg. This can take a few seconds normally. For reasons unclear to me for some people this has become really slow in the last versions of Lightroom and you might end up seeing the old preview for a long time. Lightroom should show you a "loading" message on the image and you should see the image go progressively through sharpening stages.

• 26. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

trshaner wrote:

So it appears Chrome does use the embedded color profile and monitor profile. But does no profile conversion at all with untagged images.

Firefox is the only browser usable with wide gamut monitors, as long as it is set to color management mode 1, which assigns sRGB to all untagged material. Because of this, Firefox displays everything correctly, whether there is an embedded profile or not.

In all other browsers (including Firefox in the default mode 2!), untagged material is just passed straight through to the display without any conversion into the monitor profile. There is no profile to convert from, and so the normal display color management chain cannot operate. This means oversaturation on wide gamut displays. Assigning sRGB allows color management to run normally again.

If Firefox now also has dual monitor support, that makes it the perfect web browser for any conceivable situation, and there is no reason to ever use any other browser...What you get with Firefox mode 1 is in fact full color management on the web ( ! ) in all situations. You don't even have to embed the profile, as long as the file is created in sRGB and has sRGB numbers.

No other browsers do this, at least not on the Windows platform. I believe Safari does this too on Mac, but the Windows version of Safari does not (this I have tested).

• 27. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

>No other browsers do this, at least not on the Windows platform. I believe Safari does this too on Mac, but the Windows version of Safari does not (this I have tested).

Safari on the Mac does unfortunately not color manage untagged images the same as the windows version. Only tagged images. Only browser that works fully correctly on wide gamut monitors is Firefox set to mode 1.

• 28. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

Jao vdL wrote:

Safari on the Mac does unfortunately not color manage untagged images the same as the windows version.

Ah, thanks for finally clearing that up for me... I was in a discussion about this over on the Luminous Landscape forum a while ago, and the Mac users there insisted that Safari treated untagged images "correctly" - but for some reason (can't exactly recall) I wasn't quite sure I could take that at face value.

The question comes up regularly, so it's good to have accurate information covering all configurations.

• 29. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

Yeah they are wrong. Safari has never had full color management as defined by assuming untagged images are sRGB. I know as I have a wide gamut display and it is pretty clear that untagged images are not dealt with. That said, it is becoming less and less likely that images are untagged on the web nowadays except structural graphics.

P.S. the old authority is still this page: WEB BROWSER COLOR MANAGEMENT Tutorial - Test Page FireFox Safari Chrome Internet Explorer IE 10- FILES have embedded ICC… Check the "full color management section1/4 of the way down. Only firefox mode 1 does this right.

The confusion is probably coming from the fact that many mac users have monitors that are very close to sRGB, and you won't see the difference there. This is especially so if the monitor is really well calibrated.

• 30. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

D Fosse wrote:

If Firefox now also has dual monitor support, that makes it the perfect web browser for any conceivable situation, and there is no reason to ever use any other browser...

You and I had this discussion almost exactly one year ago. I no longer use a dual-display configuration, but this should still work with FF 43:

Re: Suspected Flaw in Firefox 35 Color Management Behavior

• 31. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

That's almost embarrassing - I'd completely forgotten about that Yes, it's all there...

• 32. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

trshaner wrote:

Chrome 47: Only the untagged sRGB is incorrect (saturated).

IE 10: All four images are incorrect (saturated).

FireFox 43 All four images are correct.

So it seems now that if you post Adobe RGB or ProPhoto images on the web - they will display the same as sRGB in all the major browsers (Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Safari) on both Windows and Mac on wide gamut as well as standard gamut monitors.

I don't know about Linux, Android and iOs, so it's probably best to stick to sRGB. But it is an interesting development.

As for IE, it will also display all three profiles identically, but over saturated. I suspect Edge will do the same thing.

• 33. Re: Lightroom 'Export as sRGB' not as good as 'Photoshop Export as' feature?

For a while, things looked very promising regarding color management on the web. Then, the phone/tablet market exploded and it started to deteriorate again...

I don't know how MS configured Edge, but I suspect they just dropped all color management - as they did with the new "Photos" app. The IE model missed every conceivable target so consistently, that I can't bring myself to believe they would maintain it.

IE is almost a study in how to stumble and fall at the finishing line. It has a full color management engine right there and working - and then it wrecks everything by throwing out the monitor profile, substituting sRGB instead. The result is that it never, ever, under any possible circumstances, will display correctly. But of course it's most obvious with wide gamut.

Bottom line is still FF mode 1. With that, you can simply stop worrying - everything will always display as intended, images, graphic page elements, the lot. The sole exception seems to be Flash-based material, which is apparently un-color-manageable.