5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 12:47 PM by ManiacJoe

Close LR without saving?

rugfoot Level 1

Is there a way of closing LR without saving? I've saved my main catalog on Dropbox so that it syncs to different computers. But sometimes I forget to close one of the catalogs open on one computer, do something on a second computer and then go back to the first. But I obviously don't want to use it or save it because I will lose the changes I made on the second computer. Thanks for any help out there.

• 1. Re: Close LR without saving?
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi rugfoot,

Your Catalog must be stored locally on Computer/External drive.

We do not recommend saving catalog on Cloud based services.See LR5 Cat in Dropbox - Issues

Is there a way of closing LR without saving?

Lightroom always save changes when it Exits.

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Close LR without saving?
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The catalog is a database file. It gets written to many times during your edits. Chances are that the writes happened long before you tried to exit.

Dropbox and the like are decent ways to sync your files between multiple computers. However, the less error prone way to use these services is to copy the catalog out of the sync directory to somewhere else before using it, then copying the catalog back to the sync directory after you are done with it.

• 3. Re: Close LR without saving?
              rugfoot Level 1

Right, got it. Mmm - not too keen on copying and pasting manually. It's a lot of hassle and I'm bound to get in a mess. Still trying to perfect a multiple-computer solution... Thanks for replying!

• 4. Re: Close LR without saving?
                rugfoot Level 1

Yes, I took a look at some of these discussions a while back before deciding to use Dropbox. I think the drawbacks to the solution are with Dropbox, not with Lightroom. Sometimes Dropbox takes time to sync so a catalog may not be "ready" to use on a different computer. Technically it's not really a "cloud" solution because the way Dropbox works is it makes copies on local hard drives. There is also a copy in the cloud, but each time you open a catalog on Dropbox it's from a hard drive. I think it's a very common thing for photographers to want to have - because lots of them travel and have two or more computers. I'm surprised Adobe haven't come up with a solution using their cloud. Thanks for replying to my question though! Richard

• 5. Re: Close LR without saving?
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The easiest (not prettiest) is to put the catalog and images on an external drive and move the drive from computer to computer as needed.