8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2016 7:09 AM by A.T. Romano

How to edit project settings

richard.r Level 1

I load Premier and a video that is 720 x 300

It shows in the project as 640 x 480 and it publishes with thick black lines

I open project settings - I can see the settings but I am unable to change these frame sizes?!?!?!?

very frustrating :-(

Can Premier load videos of different sizes? I would think so but perhaps not in Elements

• 1. Re: How to edit project settings
          A.T. Romano Level 7

retterr

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system?

There is no Premiere Elements project preset for 720 x 300. What are the full details of your file - frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio?

If the automatic setting of the project preset is giving you a 640 x 480, I guessing that you must have Premiere Elements 14/14.1 which gives you its best fit preset when one does not exist for what you actually have.

Edit Menu/Project Settings/General is a good place for finding out what settings that the project has selected for you automatically. But, you cannot make significant project settings changes there. If the project preset has been established and it is not correct, then you start a new project with the correct one (done manually, File Menu/New/Project). Manual project settings does not help you since there is no project preset for 720 x 300, automatically or manually set with the what is.

All sorts of maneuvers  to get a 4:3 or 16:9  from that 720 x 300 to make a video without black borders - but in the end, your answer is to create your own project preset and work with custom export settings in the export. Making your own project preset would be based on the principles described in the following and adapting it for your specific requirements

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Project Preset with 21:9 Display Aspect Ratio

Please consider. Any questions about the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to edit project settings
            richard.r Level 1

thanks for this

my problem is that Premier 14 will not let me click and alter these settings - I am doomed forever at 1920x1080

can't get any help from support so unless you guys can help I am off home to use iMovie

06-01-2016 08-49-05.jpg

• 3. Re: How to edit project settings
              richard.r Level 1

so I figured out the rather tricky new project change settings select from myriad of video settings - by trial and error

this seems to set the video size for all new and loaded projects

bit fiddly but can be done

suggest some mainstream options would be nice for 'elements'

the pro's already know what they are doing

• 4. Re: How to edit project settings
                A.T. Romano Level 7

retterr

Thanks for the reply.

Again, you cannot make significant changes in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General - frame size etc. What you see there traces back to what you (manually) or the project (automatically) set as the project's project preset. But, you can create your own project preset by modifying one of the existing sqpresets. That new sqpreset will give you and the project that choice of project presets. Is that what you did as per the link I posted earlier?

From your posted description, it sounds like you did something else based on "...from myriad of video settings". My suggested way does not involve a myriad of video settings maneuvers.

Whatever the case, it appears that you have resolved your issue and are moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects. Well done.

Best wishes

ATR

• 5. Re: How to edit project settings
                  richard.r Level 1

So this is getting worse

I have an image it is in properties 640*360

I have set my project settings to AVCHD LITE 720p24 this is 1280*720 is the same ratio

I load the mp4 and it becomes a huge black borders

click on project properties and I get 640*480!

suddenly premier can change frame size - I can't but it can

why is this so difficult?

Is it possible to crop black borders?

I would expect to be able to change the canvass size / frame size but Premier can't do this?

• 6. Re: How to edit project settings
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

retterr

Thanks for the update.

We are both on the same wavelength on dealing what you believe to be a 640 x 360 16:9 and getting it into a Premiere Elements project without the black borders consequences.

However, the details need sorting out when you tell me that you get huge black borders when you import this 16:9 file into a 16:9 project.

If you set the project preset manually, did you remember to put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" in the new project dialog? Did you follow the path....

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                    • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
                    • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                    • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

Excuse the asking, but not to take anything for granted to expedite matters, have you confirmed your 640 x 360 16:9 for this particular import with program outside of Premiere Elements?

Please review the above and then we will try to determine what is happening with that file.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: How to edit project settings
                      richard.r Level 1

Ah ha

that did the trick - force check box

So I have now set up a number of preset video sizes with force changes. We are rolling now - easy when you know how...

thanks so much

• 8. Re: How to edit project settings
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

retterr

Thanks for the update and the great news of success. Well done in supplying the details necessary to help you and for your follow through to success.

Please never hesitate to ask if questions or need clarification on your Premiere Elements workflow.

Best wishes

ATR