3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2016 2:00 PM by johnrellis

Can I use GPS Map Data in Lightroom to Label Photos?

TheBobbyMiller Level 1

Hi all,

Whenever I go on a vacation I create a collection in lightroom, sync it, and share the link with family.

Unfortunately, if the trip entails several towns, there's no way of knowing.

Is there a way to use the GPS Map Data that my iPhone and other cameras are using already and put that underneath each photo I share?

Ideally it wouldn't be GPS coordinates but: Town, State, Country.  And of course the date, but Im assuming there's an easy way to do that.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Can I use GPS Map Data in Lightroom to Label Photos?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

It's not clear, but I'm assuming that the photos in LR already have GPS coordinates assigned (e.g. they are photos imported from the iPhone) and that the photos show up correctly located in LR's Map module.  If so:

- If you want the Sublocation/City/State-Province/Country to show up as a visual watermark on the bottom of the exported image, you can use the Lr/Mogrify plugin: LR/Mogrify 2 - Add Watermarks, Border and Text Annotions to Images Exported by Adobe Lightroom 2

- If instead you don't the information to be appear visually embedded in the image as a watermark, but instead want it to be appear on the Web page next to the published photo, that functionality is specific to each service you use (Flickr, Smugmug, Zenfolio, etc.).   You'll have to look at each specific service to see if it's appropriate for what you want.

• 2. Re: Can I use GPS Map Data in Lightroom to Label Photos?
            TheBobbyMiller Level 1

Thanks johnrellis!  I was hoping to use Adobe's Mobile Sync Collection to do this, instead of going to another site like Flickr etc to do it.  And ideally it wouldn't watermark the image, but have it in the description.

It seems like I can create a web gallery and then turn it into a collection that then syncs to Mobile?  If so, I'm assuming I just need to figure out how to pull this GPS data into a web gallery.  I haven't been able to figure it out!

• 3. Re: Can I use GPS Map Data in Lightroom to Label Photos?
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
              It seems like I can create a web gallery and then turn it into a collection that then syncs to Mobile?

Not exactly.  In LR desktop, in the Collections panel on the left, create a collection, right-click it, and select Sync With Lightroom Mobile.  No need to create a web gallery.

LR Mobile Web and LR Mobile apps will show you EXIF and GPS information for a photo, but only if you're logged in to your account.  To go to the LR Mobile Web, in LR desktop right-click the collection and do Lightroom Mobile Links > Private Link > View On Web.  To see the photo on a Google map, click on the Web photo to view it in loupe mode, and click the lower-right button to expand the info panel:

Untitled.png

Unfortunately, the EXIF and GPS information is not available when you access the collection via a "public" link that doesn't require the user to log in to your account.