I don't know why this doesn't work:

scrollMC.back_3.onPress = down3;

function down3() {
      figure_1.gotoAndPlay(21);
      ifFrameLoaded(figure_1,40) {
      _root.gotoAndPlay(269); };
      figure_2.gotoAndStop(1);
      }

I want the root to wait until the MC (figure_1) gets to frame 40 to jump to frame 269, but when I click on scrollMC.back_3 it just jumps immediately to 269 without figure_1 playing frames 21-40.
        • 1. Load _root (269)  when MC Loads (40)
          spireality Level 1
          This seems to work - correct me if I'm wrong, but desired result is functioning as I described:

function down3() {
          if (_framesloaded === jump_1) {
          gotoAndPlay ("Scene 1", "land_3");};
          figure_2.gotoAndStop(1);
          }

jump_1 is the instance name for figure_1's frame 40
          land_3 is the instance name for _root's frame 269

View project here:
          http://insumacpenetralis.com/
          • 2. Re: Load _root (269)  when MC Loads (40)
            kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            don't use the goto functions and don't use scenes for navigation. use the goto methods and frame labels:

_root.gotoAndPlay("scene1_land_3"); // <- label that frame
            • 3. Re: Load _root (269)  when MC Loads (40)
              spireality Level 1
              I don't get it -
              It doesn't work now - I guess it didn't work in the first place.

I tried your suggestion and then modified it as below. Neither worked.

To explain the circumstances - This AS controls the thumbnails (MCs back_1, back_2 and back_3) on the left hand side of the page and pulls up large images (MCs figure_1, figure_2 and figure_3) in the main portion of the page. Once the thumbnail loads the large image (and the previous image properly fades out), the _root frame needs to move to where the previous images no longer exist so that the zoom and grab actions work on the new image.

So, transitions are working (only from the first image to get this working), but moving to required frame on _root level is not happening. This has to happen - I have to figure this out within the next hour or so...

Please help!

function down3() {
              /*fade out first image(only image that starts on frame 1 instead of 20)*/
              /* moves playhead on root to frame where figure 3 is revealed to zoom and grab AS*/
              if (_framesloaded === figure_1.jump_1) {
              _root.gotoAndPlay("scene1","land_3");};
              /*Secures second image to blank frame*/
              figure_2.gotoAndStop(1);
              /*Play frame sequence for third image fade in*/
              figure_3.gotoAndPlay(21);
              }

Thanks,

JP
              • 4. Re: Load _root (269)  when MC Loads (40)
                what is the following supposed to do?

and

_root.gotoAndPlay("scene1","land_3");};

is wrong. there's only 1 parameter in the goto methods. recheck my code.
                • 5. Re: Load _root (269)  when MC Loads (40)
                  spireality Level 1

>> This code is on root level, I'm trying to say that jump_1 is in the MC figure_1. How else does it know how to play that frame in that MC?

I tried this

_root.gotoAndPlay("scene1_land_3")
                  like this

function down3() {
                  if (_framesloaded === jump_1) {
                  _root.gotoAndPlay("scene1_land_3"); };
                  figure_2.gotoAndStop(1);
                  }

and it didn't work (zoom and grab that act on figure_3 functions not working).
                  • 6. Re: Load _root (269)  when MC Loads (40)
                    jump_1 is a frame label in _root.figure_1 or it's a movieclip in _root.figure_1? and what does _framesloaded have to do with anything?

and you have a frame labeled "scene1_land_3" on your _root timeline?
                    • 7. Load _root (269)  when MC Loads (40)
                      spireality Level 1
                      Thanks for your persistent questions.

I obviously need to spend some time reading an AS bible.

jump_1 is a frame label in _root.figure_1

>>"and you have a frame labeled 'scene1_land_3' on your _root timeline?"
                      No, the frame 269 on _root is labeled "land_3"

>>"and what does _framesloaded have to do with anything?"

I was looking for a way to get the root to jump to a particular frame when MC figure_1 had gotten to a certain frame. I have to do this over and over again for 11 images to load while others fade out and keep other actions working properly. Instead of ending figure_1 with _root.gotoAndPlay(land_3) at the end of it's fade out (I would have to do this for all eleven images), I wanted to tell figure_3 to play it's frames to fade up >>figure_3.gotoAndPlay(21); , figure_1 to fade out >>figure_1.gotoAndPlay(21); , and then when figure_1 got to frame 40 (now labeled jump_1) it would move the root frame to frame 269 (now labeled land_3) from the root level and simply adjust the code for each figure_# MC . The figure_# MCs can't overlap each other from layer to layer ore else other onRollOver scripts won't work, so I have them kind of stair-cased in consecutive order. But figure_1 had to complete it's fade out before it jumps down the _root timeline to where figure_3 is for a smooth cross dissolve.

I found this in the Adobe dictionary:
                      ifFrameLoaded( scene , frame ) {
                      statement ;
                      }

I started playing with it and thought it would do what I wanted - sorry for the run around if this is totally the wrong direction for this. I tried to explain my directive from the beginning. If the root doesn't go to frame 269 (where figure_3 is on top layer wise) at the end of figure_1 doing it's fade out, then the zoom and grab actions don't work because figure_1 will be covering it up. I tried to put the actions inside the figure MCs, but it relies on the Xs and Ys and screw everything up.

Make since at all???

Am I trying to make a slideshow from scratch that can randomly load images from thumbnails and have zoom and grab/move options available for each image?

Yes.

Will I jury rig it however I need to to make it work.

Yes.

Thanks for trying to help.

Now Updated:
                      http://insumacpenetralis.com/