5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2016 2:33 AM by ultrastatic

What's the best workflow to transfer an animator's overlay work (alpha channels) to a video editor (using Premiere), in a different location?

trogerwilliams Level 1

When the animator tries to export alpha channels, they are massive; the export time, plus upload time to an online sharing service is not practical (12 hours or so).

We are based in different places. I am the editor, working on videos with animation overlays.

Currently, I give him the final edit of the video, he animates and layers it, then exports from AE as a final product.

What we'd LIKE to do is have him export his animations, and give them to ME, so I can work with them as a layer in Premiere. This would allow me to continue making changes to the video (for example, coloring, sound, and even cutting).

Any ideas? I've inquired about Adobe Anywhere, but received no response. Thanks!

• 1. Re: What's the best workflow to transfer an animator's overlay work (alpha channels) to a video editor (using Premiere), in a different location?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Render to a production format that supports Alpha Channels and send them the video. Make sure you set the color mode to Straight Alpha. A good 8 bit production codec that supports Alpha Channels is QuickTime JPEG 2000. If you want higher bit depth then render a Tiff image sequence again with Straight Alpha.

• 2. Re: What's the best workflow to transfer an animator's overlay work (alpha channels) to a video editor (using Premiere), in a different location?
            David__B Adobe Employee

Hey Troger,

When reading this it raised several additional questions for me

• How long does it take for you to export the final edit of the videos you've been providing to him?
            • Are you uploading the final to him using a sharing service?
            • Can you provide more details about the project settings and footage properties (including codec) you're both using?
            • When the animator did export alpha channels, what were the footage properties (including codec) he tried?
            • You mentioned it took him 12 hours, but I wasn't sure how much of this was the export and how much was the upload?
            • Despite it taking longer, have you tried the desired workflow anyway?
            • Have your current workflows involved using AME?

Would it be possible to structure your approach to the project such that this aspect wouldn't be as critical - i.e. you work on something else in the interim until he is able to export and upload the overlay portion?

I can't speak to whether Adobe Anywhere would be a solution but I know its only available to ETLA or volume license customers.

- Dave

• 3. Re: What's the best workflow to transfer an animator's overlay work (alpha channels) to a video editor (using Premiere), in a different location?
              trogerwilliams Level 1

Dave-

Thanks for the clarifying questions; to the last point, yes, we have come up with workflow that gets us by, but it involves the animator flattening the final video from his end, with all components. If I want to, say, change a music track or make a minor video change, I need to send him the entire underlying video again and have him re-export. We'd prefer if animation were NOT the final step by necessity.

• How long does it take for you to export the final edit of the videos you've been providing to him?
                • My videos (without animation) take about 12-20 minutes to export from Premiere Pro (video play length is about 4-7 minutes).
              • Are you uploading the final to him using a sharing service?
                • We are currently transferring using the Creative Cloud service. Before December we used Drive, and occasionally hard drives.
              • Can you provide more details about the project settings and footage properties (including codec) you're both using?
                • He now exports at H.264, for the FINAL full video, which is what I use from Premiere.
              • When the animator did export alpha channels, what were the footage properties (including codec) he tried?
                • He tried 6 different settings or so, for aloha channels including:
                  • TIFF settings
                  • Quicktime format
                  • Lossless rgb+alpha
                • All seemed to be in the 100-120GB for an 8-minute video.
              • You mentioned it took him 12 hours, but I wasn't sure how much of this was the export and how much was the upload?
                • I believe that was often the export time, closer to 6 hours (I just checked). Upload was separate
              • Despite it taking longer, have you tried the desired workflow anyway?
                • The filesize was massive, which made it impractical from a time point of view and from a storage/transfer point of view.
                • To clarify, the DESIRED workflow would be:
                  • Premiere user edits a video
                    • Premiere user exports that video, and uploads it or sends it to the AE user
                  • AE user adds animations and titles, etc.
                    • AE user exports JUST the animations with a transparent background
                    • AE user sends that animation to Premiere user
                  • Premiere user drops that animation into a sequence as a layer, and continues to alter video if needed.
                    • Premiere user is the one who ultimately archives all elements of the project in one organized place.
              • Have your current workflows involved using AME?
                • He uses Media Encoder; I usually export directly from Premiere Pro.

Thanks so much!

• 4. Re: What's the best workflow to transfer an animator's overlay work (alpha channels) to a video editor (using Premiere), in a different location?
                David__B Adobe Employee

Hey Troger,

Thanks for the additional info

I'd recommend having the animator test exporting in some different formats which support including the alpha to see if you're able to find something that you both could work with size wise

This blog might be a good place to start: Exporting media with an alpha channel in Premiere Pro

I'd want to test PNG as the format and set the frame dimensions/aspect ratio to match the video project.

Hope that helps!

• 5. Re: What's the best workflow to transfer an animator's overlay work (alpha channels) to a video editor (using Premiere), in a different location?
                  ultrastatic Level 1

I am an animator, and in these cases I deliver in Prores 4444, great quality and alpha. Sizes really depend on the content.

edit: Yes as noted above, straight alpha always. (make sure it's interpreted as straight when importing, I've seen this go wrong sometimes)