5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2016 7:56 PM by A.T. Romano

Can't import video from Sony Handycam saved on a memory card. Adobe premiere elements states there are errors. Help!

eallen20@comcast.net Level 1

I've tried to import video from Sony Handycam into the Adobe premiere elements video editor and it doesn't allow me to import them. Does anybody know why?

I also tried to import them to the Elements Organizer. They were imported, however, they didn't have any audio.

Please help! Thanks in advance for your insights!

• 1. Re: Can't import video from Sony Handycam saved on a memory card. Adobe premiere elements states there are errors. Help!
          Kamna Yadav Adobe Employee

Hello,

Which version of Premiere Elements are you using? and on what machine? Can you state the error that is being returned by the video editor?

Thanks

Kamna

• 2. Re: Can't import video from Sony Handycam saved on a memory card. Adobe premiere elements states there are errors. Help!

Hi Kamna,

I'm using Premiere elements 14 which I just bought yesterday. On a Windows PC. The error message is "import error. File already exists at C:\Users\Owners\Videos

Note, Kamna that other video clips have their audio. Only those that were saved on the memory drive and not the internal camera memory. Hope this makes sense.

Look forward to your feedback. Thanks for circling back!

• 3. Re: Can't import video from Sony Handycam saved on a memory card. Adobe premiere elements states there are errors. Help!
              A.T. Romano Level 7

eallen10

What are the properties of the video files with which you are having problems?

Please download and install the free codec utility named GSpot and tell us what you read there for

Video Codec, Name, and Status

Audio Codec and Status

While you are there, please let us know the other properties given for the file - frame size, frame rate, display aspect ratio.

Also, you might want to make a comparison there of the properties of the good with problems videos.

How are you getting your videos into the project? By any chance are you using

Add Media/Videos from cameras & devices/Video Importer which is set with a Save As: to Videos?

If that is what you are doing from a card reader, are you checking the Videos save location for files there will the same name as the files that you are saving to that location. Have you tried a different save location in Video Importer if that is where you are?

Please clarify - problems files do not import into Premiere Elements 14 Editor, but do into Elements Organizer 14 but there without sound. Is that correct?

Have you updated 14 to 14.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can't import video from Sony Handycam saved on a memory card. Adobe premiere elements states there are errors. Help!

Hi ATR,

Thanks for circling back. I really appreciate all the questions you posed to help me arrive at including audio to my clips.

Here's my feedback.

1) I downloaded GSpot and attached are the screenshots for the damaged video clip, and the working video clips. The:

Video Codec, Name and Status for the working video clips are: Video codec - MPGEG2; Name:MPEG2, Status:Codec[s] installed

Audio Codec and status for the working video clips are: Audio Codec - AC3; Status - Codec[s] installed

For the nonworking video clips:

Video Codec: AVC1; Name: H264/MPEG-4 AVC

Audio Codec: Mp4a:MPEG-4AA LC; Info:48000Hz 157 kb/s tot stereo (2/0)

Audio Status: undetermined

Sorry, my first time looking at the GSpot output, didn't know where to get the frame size, frame rate, display aspect ratio. Hence the screen shots attached.

2) What's the properties of video files with problems?

- There's not properties listed. I went into Elements Organizer and clicked File/Get properties for file and nothing came up.

3) How are you getting the videos into the project?

Yes, I used Add media/Videos from cameras & devices/video importer which is set to :SAVE IN: C:\Users\Owner\Videos not Save AS: to videos as you listed.

Did the updates, nothing changed when I tried to import. The only way the files came in were when I did an import via Elements Organizer. It shows that the pictures actually have videos. Those saved on the camera's internal memory play fine. However, as mentioned previously, in my original message. Those video clips saved to the memory card have no audio.

4) Yes, you are correct. "The Problem files don't import into Premiere Elements 14 Editor, but do import into Elements Organizer 14 without the sound."

5) Have you updated 14 to 14.1 yet?

Yes, I followed your instructions and updated all the updates listed on the drop down.

I hope this all makes sense. Thanks again for your insights. I look forward to your feedback.

Gathoni/Eallen20

• 5. Re: Can't import video from Sony Handycam saved on a memory card. Adobe premiere elements states there are errors. Help!
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gathoni/Eallen20

Thanks for the reply and additional troubleshooting information.

We may have had a breakthrough in the Video Importer issues thanks to the work of another Premiere Elements 14 user today.

I will discuss your last post's details if the following does not resolve the issue

"import error. File already exists at C:\Users\Owners\Videos

On the right side of the Video Importer, there is a field for Preset. But, there are options under Preset.

File Name

Folder Name - Number

Date-File Name

Custom Name - Nubmer

The other 14 users found success in change the Preset field from the blank setting to the one for Date - File Name.

Error message said that the files already exist but they don't.

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thank you.

ATR