18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2016 6:29 PM by evolveb90679849

Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??

JasperRabbit Level 1

My wife got my Adobe Draw on my iPad and a stylus for Christmas.  What a great gift!

But now I'm running into a problem.  Whenever I try to fill part of my drawing with color, I get the "Working..." swirl for EVER.  At first it was 30 seconds, then a minute, then it took like 10 minutes to fill, and now it basically freezes, making continuing my drawing impossible (or at least very impractical).

My first thought, of course, was that it was a memory issue.  So I deleted everything off the iPad until I had 8.5GB available space.  I mean, that should be enough, right?

Hm.  I just tried filling an object in another project (in the same program) and it filled instantly.  So there is something about this drawing in particular that is making it slow down so much.  Is it too detailed?  I'm only using three layers (photograph, ink, color) at the moment.  I even went back and deleted the photograph layer just in case.  What is up??

Thank you in advance for your assistance!! =)  I want to get back to my drawing!

• 1. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??
          Sue Garibaldi Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Jasper,

Since it seems to be that particular drawing that's causing the problem, have you tried duplicating it and seeing if the problem persists when you have a "new" version of it?

Just in case... To duplicate an entire drawing, when you're in Organizer view (where you can see all five canvases of a project), tap the Edit icon (square with a pen). The icon will revert to a checkmark and a hamburger menu will appear on each canvas in the project. Tap the hamburger icon of the drawing you want to duplicate. Then tap the Duplicate icon (two squares with a +) to copy the drawing. Exit out of the menu by tapping the checkmark in the main toolbar.

Be careful in that menu because the Trash Can icon is right there too and if you accidentally delete  a canvas, it cannot be retrieved.

At any rate, let me know if that resolves the fill issue.

Sue.

• 2. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??
            JasperRabbit Level 1

Thank you, Sue!  I tried duplicating, but the issue persisted across both iterations.  Is it possible that my drawing is either too large or too small for the detail level?  I can zoom in so that even the tiniest pieces of my drawings can be seen as thick individual lines... is that too much for the program to handle?

• 3. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??

Hi Jasper,

The size of your drawing shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried a force quit (double-press the home button; a list off apps shows up; scroll over to Draw; swipe up on it; that should force-quit the app), then a device reboot, then a restart of the app?

Before you do that though, it's always a good idea to make sure all your work is synced by logging in to http://assets.adobe.com (My Assets - Mobile Creations - Draw).

Let me know if that works. If it doesn't, let me know what device, which version of iOS, and which version of Draw you're using so I can run this by one of our engineers.

Sue.

• 4. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??
                JasperRabbit Level 1

Hi, Sue.  I have tried everything, including your suggestion above.  I've played with other pictures, and it seems that the longer I work on them and the more swathes of color I add, the slower the fill time gets, until it freezes completely.  Forcing quit, restarting, and rebooting don't help, unfortunately.  My iPad is practically empty now except for the vital programs, freeing up 8.4GB of space for use.  Adobe Draw says I'm only using 0.9% of my storage space.

I'm working on an iPad Air running iOS v.9.2 and using the new Draw v.3.1.2.  I really appreciate the help!!!  I already miss working on my projects!!  Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? 

Seth

• 5. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??

Hi Jasper,

OK, Your timing is really great; I just asked one of our engineers about this and he'd like you to do a test: Can you create another layer in that project, draw a very simple shape in it and see how fill reacts on that layer?

Also, can you send me a screenshot of your art?

Sue.

• 6. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??
                    JasperRabbit Level 1

Interesting!

I drew a large circle and filled it; it took 20 seconds (still quite a long time).  Then I zoomed in to a tree in the background of my drawing and tried to fill a small portion of it (to be clear, this space is perhaps 1/100th of my drawing).  It took twice as long, 40 seconds.  But at least it didn't freeze? 

Here's a photo of my whole drawing so far:

image.png

That tree in the background on the hill to the right is the one I'm currently trying to fill; here's a picture of the zoom level I'm applying:

image2.jpeg

You can imagine that coloring this with a 40 second wait time per fill piece (or apparently more!) could become quite tedious!  I was planning on adding at least two or three more layers to this drawing for shading and highlighting!

I hope this helps home in on the problem??  Weird, right?

Seth =)

• 7. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??

Hi Jasper,

This is helpful. As is all of your information. I've asked another one of our engineers to take a look at this conversation. Hang in there.

Sue.

• 8. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??

Hi Jasper,

I heard back from the engineer about fill. I'm going to just paste what he told me here so I don't mangle it:

Filling can be slow. In order to fill a part of the artwork the app has to go off and figure out what part is being affected. In a complicated drawing that can be a very time consuming process because it pretty much has to look at all the strokes in the drawing to do that. This is one of those cases where something that seems really easy to people is very complicated for a computer. One thing that can help is that filling only considers the current layer. So limiting the complexity of each layer should cut down on the time required.

That said, the drawing in this post does’t look horrendously complicated. If he's willing to share it with us it would be interesting to take a look at what’s going on.

So... Will you share your drawing with us? You can use the  “Share your Assets with Send Link” function through a web browser. Here's how to do that if you don't already know how:

Sign in to https://assets.adobe.com/ with your Adobe ID

Navigate to Assets/Files/Mobile Creations/Draw and select the project to share

Click on Share/Send Link, then the button Create Public Link

At this point, you can choose to send the link to an email address or copy the public link to send later.

You can send me the link through Draw's in-app feedback (tap on the Draw icon in the app, then tap on Give Us Feedback).

Thanks for all your help with this.

Sue.

• 9. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??
                          JasperRabbit Level 1

Thanks for all this.  It took me a hot second to do. =)  Get this: amusingly enough, the "Give Us Feedback" link is the only one that does nothing.  I can tap on "About Draw," "Preferences," "Import Ideas Files," "View Tutorials," "Reset Tooltips," and "Download More Apps."  But tapping "Give Us Feedback" does nothing whatsoever at all, even after forcing close and restarting.  This is too funny.

If you have a private email address I can send the link to, I can do that; or if you think it's not a big deal for me to post it right here (I'm not a professional artist, and all the works in this project are just me practicing and getting used to the software... is there some personal information that can be gleaned from posting the link publicly?), I can do that as well.

I understand that it might take a bit for the computer to do it's work, but as you'll see if you look at my drawing, I haven't really laid THAT much on it.  I have one layer that's all black ink outline, and one layer I'm trying to lay down a base color for everything (I'm only about 15% done).  It's that layer which is interminably slow...

Thanks again for your help!  Let me know where to post that link you asked for.

Best,

Seth

• 10. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??

Hi Jasper,

I always think it's super ironic when that link doesn't work. But... it's an easy fix: In order for the Give Us Feedback link to work, you have to have email set up on your device.

I'd rather you not post the link publicly. But, if you don't already have it set up and don't want to set it up, you can email me at susang at adobe dot com.

Sue.

• 11. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??
                              Yungsock Level 1

Hey i realize this post was months ago but this problem has made the app completely useless for me.  I love the crystal clear linework i can do with this, but not being able to color anything that has more detail than a stick figure is pointless.  Especially when the only option to save or export is to "copy to device gallery"  and it makes the image blurry and lines jagged its pointless anyway.  Any really simple drawing works fine, but as soon as you add some details filling doesnt work any more.  Tested it multiple times.  Spider man plain costume with no webbing, works fine.  Spider man with webbing drawn on costume, cannot color.  If Adobe could fix this itd be great.  For now, its worthless.  Also give us an export option PLEASE.  Why does the "view" or "zoom level" that i leave my drawing have anything to do with how its copied to the gallery.  Export the entire piece of art like every other app and program ever created.  Nice Chrono Trigger drawing btw  

• 12. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??

Hi YungSock,

Is there any chance you can share this drawing with me? You'll have to do it through the in-app feedback (tap the Draw icon, then from the menu that opens choose Give Us Feedback) because it will require you sending me a link. Here's how to share the native Draw files with me:

Sign in to https://assets.adobe.com/ with your Adobe ID

Navigate to Assets/Files/Mobile Creations/Draw and select the project to share

Click on Share/Send Link, then the button Create Public Link

At this point, you can choose to send the link to an email address. Send it through the in-app feedback.

Thanks.

Sue.

• 13. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??
                                  meb240601 Level 1

I know this was a while back but I'm having the same issue! When i try to fill a shape it comes up as please wait and takes ages and instead of filling it, it just completley crashes and shuts down my app and ive tried everything to fix it and nothings worked, im doing a drawing as a suprise for my friend and i havnt got very long to finish it, I was hoping to have it finished by today but it went wrong like this yesterday, anyone help???

• 14. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??

Hi MEB,

Sorry fill seems so unresponsive. A couple of questions/things to check:

* Is the fill area entirely closed? Shapes in Draw will not fill even if there's a microscopic gap in the outline.

* How complex is your art? How complex is the layer you're working on? Filling can be slow in a complicated drawing (although, you shouldn't have to cancel out because it's taking so long). One thing that might help: Filling only considers the current layer, so if you limit the complexity of each layer it should help with fill-time.

Let me know what you find.

Sue.

• 15. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??
                                      meb240601 Level 1

No it's completley closed in, i'm only using 4 draw layers and then a photo layer, i've used up to 10 draw layers before so i don't understand why it's happening haha, and it's not really complex, the draw layer that isnt filling is my basic lineart layer just wth strokes but usually i duplicate that layer and use one to fill in and the other so i still have a copy of the lineart, ive tried duplicating it and it still won't fill, so when i get onto filling my drawing, it will be a major issue and i'm starting to get into that point now?

• 17. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??

MEB,

A couple more questions:

* Are you having fill trouble with other drawings?

* Have you tried duplicating the entire drawing, then deleting the photo layer?

* Have you tried force-quitting the app  (double-press the home button; a list off apps shows up; scroll over to the app and swipe up on it; that should force-quit the app), restarting your device, then relaunching the app? Before force-quitting, please first make sure that all of your work is synced by logging in with your Adobe ID to Adobe Creative Cloud

Let me know.

Sue.

• 18. Re: Why is Adobe Draw freezing whenever I try to fill an object??
                                          evolveb90679849 Level 1

Hi did anyone ever figure out what was causing the lag? I'm using adobe draw on  an iPad with a wacom stylus. Anytime I try to fill in the face of a subject with 5 layers also going on it starts to freeze and doesn't feel. This is making it impossible to complete projects.  Please help!