5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 2:11 PM by Just Shoot Me

Identify a Moving Folder?

Braden Gunem

I'm using Lightroom to move multiple folders at once.  I see multiple "moving folders" in operation.

Is there a way to tell which folder is which and where it is moving to and from?  If I wish to cancel one of the transfers how can I tell them apart?

Cheers,

Braden

• 1. Re: Identify a Moving Folder?
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi BradenGunem,

Well its only shows the progress bar for any operation you execute.

Have you dragged the folder from Library module to another folder.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: Identify a Moving Folder?
            dj_paige Level 9
            If I wish to cancel one of the transfers how can I tell them apart?

I think you are on dangerous ground trying to cancel a move in the middle. I would suggest that you not even try this.

• 3. Re: Identify a Moving Folder?
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I think you are on dangerous ground using LR to move any folders. I suggest you do it in the File Manager for your operating system then Re-Link LR to the new location.

I say this because just the other night I was rearranging some of my images and thought I had moved them from one folder to some other folders (I had originally put them in one folder not concerned with when they were taken and was moving them back into Dated folder by Capture date). LR reported it was moving the files and that it couldn't be Undone, clicked ok to continue. What I found out is LR Copied some the images and never deleted them from the old folder, most of the time. With other images it never moved or copied them and never deleted the originals. I then had to a bunch of manually moving, deleting and reconnecting LR to the images.

I could of saved time by just doing it in Windows Explorer to begin with.

• 4. Re: Identify a Moving Folder?
                dj_paige Level 9

Shootistbond007 wrote:

I think you are on dangerous ground using LR to move any folders. I suggest you do it in the File Manager for your operating system then Re-Link LR to the new location.

I say this because just the other night I was rearranging some of my images and thought I had moved them from one folder to some other folders (I had originally put them in one folder not concerned with when they were taken and was moving them back into Dated folder by Capture date). LR reported it was moving the files and that it couldn't be Undone, clicked ok to continue. What I found out is LR Copied some the images and never deleted them from the old folder, most of the time. With other images it never moved or copied them and never deleted the originals. I then had to a bunch of manually moving, deleting and reconnecting LR to the images.

I could of saved time by just doing it in Windows Explorer to begin with.

Yes, I agree with all of this. I point out that this forum has a long list of posts where people moved photos inside of Lightroom and the photos disappeared and cannot be found anywhere (and Adobe claims they cannot find this bug at all). This is a rarely occurring bug, it does not happen to everyone, it does not happen all the time, but when it does happen, it is rather catastrophic, unless you have backups, which unfortunately some people don't have (in which case it is not catastrophic but simply annoying and time consuming). See Transferring photos to an external hard drive, photos lost

Also, I would recommend developing a workflow where moving folders from here to there is not a part of your workflow. When the photos come out of the camera, put them in the folder that is their final destination, instead of putting them in one location now and moving them to another location later. (EXCEPTION: from time to time, you will probably need to move photos to a new disk because of space limitations or the disk is getting old, in that case you have to move the photos, go right ahead and do it via the operating system and then re-link in Lightroom).

• 5. Re: Identify a Moving Folder?
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

dj_paige wrote:

Also, I would recommend developing a workflow where moving folders from here to there is not a part of your workflow. When the photos come out of the camera, put them in the folder that is their final destination, instead of putting them in one location now and moving them to another location later. (EXCEPTION: from time to time, you will probably need to move photos to a new disk because of space limitations or the disk is getting old, in that case you have to move the photos, go right ahead and do it via the operating system and then re-link in Lightroom).

I do normally, by year then subfolders by date. But I got a bright idea to separate certain groups of images, people mostly but also places and jobsite photos, into there own folders. That bright idea didn't turn out the way I wanted it to and now that I am becoming more familiar with keywords and collection (Never really looked at either from V1 through V5) the separate folders just weren't cutting it anymore.

Thanks dj.