13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2016 7:42 PM by RandomlyRyan_2016

How can I add my own after effects to adobe premiere elements 14?

RandomlyRyan_2016 Level 1

I keep getting the error message: "The importer reported a generic error" when trying to add the blue screened overlay effect, such as a fire or explosion. I'm not talking about the "effects" next to adjustments, but instead what you are able to do with Premiere Pro. Does elements even support this feature? It's half the reason I bought the product, so I'm kind of considering asking for a refund, because I don't see the point to elements at all if I can't truly edit my video clips.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: How can I add my own after effects to adobe premiere elements 14?
          Pattie-F Level 7

I am moving this to the Premiere_Elements user forum so the experts there can assist you.

• 2. Re: How can I add my own after effects to adobe premiere elements 14?
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not quite sure what you mean with the overlay but no you cannot import AE projects or replace with AE comp. in Elements.

AE is only compatible with Premiere Pro and only when using the same version.

You can however use AE,  just import the clip into AE, do your stuff and export with a lossless codec. Import that into Elements.

• 3. Re: How can I add my own after effects to adobe premiere elements 14?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Ann is right. Which output format and resolution are you using to create your video from After Effects?

Unlike Premiere Pro, Premiere Elements isn't able to pass unrendered files between programs. So outputting your video from After Effects with the right codec and format is vital. If your video is to include an alpha (transparent) channel, then you should be using an uncompressed files.

• 4. Re: How can I add my own after effects to adobe premiere elements 14?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

randomlyryan_2016

I do not see anywhere in your initial thread description that you have said that you are using the Adobe After Effects program. Yet it has been addressed in replies to you. Could you please clarify. I do not believe your title "...add my own after effects...." says that. If I am wrong, then read no further.

Are you using Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Windows or Mac? Assuming Windows for now....

Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Windows supports keying effects that can be used for "green/blue" screen keying, such as Chroma Key, Green Screen Key, and Blue Screen Key. Are these the ones that you are referring to when you write

I'm not talking about the "effects" next to adjustments

You seem to be saying that you have a file in which a subject was recorded on a blue background and you want to use it as an overlay, presumably after you have keyed out the blue.

Is there another program involved in this. And, if so, in what format did you export this file to maintain that transparency that you created in that other program with a blue screen key? If you are wanting to do the blue screen keying in Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Windows, then you can do that.

Video Track 2 - file with subject on blue background and apply fx Effects Tab/Keying/Blue Screen Key or ChromaKey to the file.

Video Track 1 - new background file

More information if needed if I have understood what you want to do.

ATR

• 5. Re: How can I add my own after effects to adobe premiere elements 14?

I don't know what lossless codec is, so with my film I've imported into Elements, I need to export the file in Adobe AE, slap the effects I want in it, and then export it? All I'm trying to do here is somehow find a way to export my video to Youtube. So basically I need to buy Adobe After Effects and Lossless Codec? Or, would I be able export my videos from AE into Youtube or where ever, or do I HAVE to send the edited clip BACK INTO Elements for exportation? Thank you SO much for your replies everyone, sorry it took so long to get back, I've been extremely busy with college and taking care of my mother. I run charity events for a new gaming channel I'm putting together, for Lupus Foundation of America. This help is extremely appreciated!

• 6. Re: How can I add my own after effects to adobe premiere elements 14?
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lossless means you export the file with no compression. There are also visual lossless codec like Cineform or Lagarith. They use compression which is not visible to the eye.

You do not have to buy a lossless codec. Ae has a lossless codec on board. Or you can install the free Lagarith or UT both visual lossless.

Please answer this question to determine if Ae is the way for you to go: for what exactly do you want to use Ae.

Ae is not an editing program but an special effects program. You cannot save to mp4 for YT. You will have to bring the file into Elements (or some other editing program, you can even use HandBrake  ) to export to mp4.

Then upload to YT either via Elements or manually (i prefer the latter, more control over what you are doing).

Btw you cannot buy Ae only rent.

• 7. Re: How can I add my own after effects to adobe premiere elements 14?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

RandomlyRyan_2016

Thank you for the follow up information that you are supplying for the discussions in your thread.

If you are on the course that you need/want to be on with Adobe After Effects included (which you do not have yet), I will not detour you from that path.

But, I would ask you to consider "just in case"....

1. What are these special effects that need to created in Adobe After Effects?

2. Is there any reason why these effects could not be created in a Premiere Elements project - with workflow being import unedited source media, edit including creation of special effects, export as AVCHD.mp4 for upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site OR upload to YouTube using the Premiere Elements Timeline content and the Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature? If your Premiere Elements Timeline is longer than 15 minutes, then you are forced into the export to file and then upload of that file to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

Best wishes in whatever your workflow decision is.

ATR

• 9. Re: How can I add my own after effects to adobe premiere elements 14?

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I am referring to special effects that meld with the clip. "After effects" is the only name I know they go by, for instance...- HD Effects | FootageCrate - effects like these are the ones that I wish to add to my clips, I could not do such a thing using Elements. I am trying to see if perhaps I can send the footage I have on Elements TO Adobe After Effects, apply said effects, then import it BACK to Elements for exportation to Youtube. My videos are comedy based, so I'm looking to add in what effects I can find. This seems trivial I know, but please forgive me as I am having to learn all this on my own. So I thank you for all the help and replies!

• 10. Re: How can I add my own after effects to adobe premiere elements 14?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

RandomlyRyan

Many thanks for your reply with additional information about your project goals. This is especially appreciated in view of your busy schedule.

Your introductory post and mention of blue screen overlay made me ask for more information about what you wanted to do (See Post 4) to determine whether or not your project could be done all within Premiere Elements to obtain acceptable, if not After Effects state of the art, results. Although After Effects is considered state of the art for what is can do, many effects can be produced in Premiere Elements. I recently got involved with creating a light saber effect with an assist from Four-Point garbage matte in Premiere Elements. It took a few attempts, but I got a fairly decent competitive light saber. Often the cannot do becomes the can do.

I have never used Adobe After Effects. I use Premiere Elements extensively. It is the integration between Premiere Elements and Adobe After Effects that I do not know. I cannot tell you with certainty to send a png.mov, animation.mov, photo jpeg.mov or other from Premiere Elements into Adobe After Effects. But, I can tell you how to export these types of files from Premiere Elements. In researching your project, have you taken advantage of the specialized expertise in the Adobe After Effects Forum?

After Effects

Best wishes for success with your projects. Please know that if and when needed I will look forward to being of assistance with technical details of the Premiere Elements operations.

ATR

• 11. Re: How can I add my own after effects to adobe premiere elements 14?

A lightsaber?! Wow, interesting, and congratulations on your achievement! I am trying to find video tutorials on Elements 14 (Not 13 or below, millions of those, I'm just not experienced enough to figure out what the more advanced differences are between earlier programs and 14). I'm not looking to add in a lightsaber, but explosions or whatever else that's simple. Just for a comedic effect. It is my hope that as I garner a following on Youtube, I'll be able to run streaming events on Twitch for Charity Fundraisers with Lupus Foundation of America. I have an entire team, we're called Colony Gaming. I have a computer wizard, a musician, and even an artist. It's looking like I'll have to handle the editing - so here I am. Yeah when I try to add file types like pngs it gives me an error (see my original post) and I cannot add any kind of after effects to my clip. /sadface

• 12. Re: How can I add my own after effects to adobe premiere elements 14?
                              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You may want to check out my book on creating special effects with Premiere Elements. This version of the book is for Premiere Elements 11, 12 and 13. The version 14 book will be out in early February.

*** Cool Tricks for Premiere Elements***

The books offer step by step instructions for creating 50 special effects. You'll find examples as well as some tutorials on the page I've linked you to.

The books are available on Amazon.

• 13. Re: How can I add my own after effects to adobe premiere elements 14?

Thank you Steve, I will keep it in mind! Right now I'm just studying what I can that's free. I've already blown several thousand dollars on hard/software for my studio, so my wallet is on vacation.

As an aspiring author myself, I can respect and appreciate what you're trying to do.