12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 7:50 AM by Szalam

Powerlifting bar path

Pim25

Hi,

As a powerlifter, I would like to know if it's possible to follow the path of the barbell during a squat, with a small line.

I already tried it with the Track Motion fuction. It can follow the barbell perfectly, but I don't know how to make some sort of line follow the track motion fuction so I can see how vertical my barbell path is during the squat.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Powerlifting bar path
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can use effects like Write-On to draw your path by referencing their position control. Likewise, any particle effect that can leave a "trail" can be used.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Powerlifting bar path
            Pim25 Level 1

Mylenium,

Thank you for your answer, but I still don't know how to do it....

I want the red stuff from the Track Motion to turn into a fixed line, just like a trail.....

Hope this helps

Capture.JPG

• 3. Re: Powerlifting bar path
              Pim25 Level 1

Maybe a trail isn't the right word, ehm... A line that follows the exact path of the barbell.

• 4. Re: Powerlifting bar path
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would apply the tracking information to a null. Then I would reveal the position property of that null, select all of the keyframes by clicking position and then copy.  I would then deselect all layers, choose the pen tool (G) and click anywhere in the composition panel to start a new shape layer with no fill  and a solid color stroke. After you have started the path paste (Ctrl/Cmnd+v) to create a stroked path that follows the null. You can then add "trim paths" to animate the line and time it to the movement.

• 5. Re: Powerlifting bar path
                  Pim25 Level 1

Rick, thank you.

We're getting close, but the line isn't following the tracking information (from start to finish), it's only showing the finished lines, as you can see on the image.

Captured.JPG

• 6. Re: Powerlifting bar path

You need to add and animate trim path to match the timing of the move.

• 7. Re: Powerlifting bar path
                      Pim25 Level 1

1) I open the .mp4 (the video) in a new comp

2) track motion

3) new layer > null object

4) click on the .mp4 > edit target (at the tracker) > null object

5) apply > x/y

6) click on the null object > go to position > ctrl+c

7) deselect all > press G > click in the comp panel (no fill / solid color stroke) > ctrl v

8) and then? i tried adding a stroked path and a trim path to the new shape (the ctrl v part)

Thanks in advance

• 8. Re: Powerlifting bar path

After getting your path into the comp reveal the properties that have been modified, then click on Add>Trim Paths, then animate the start and end of the Trim Path effect. It should look something like this:

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 9.39.13 AM.png

I have animated both the start and end of the path.

• 9. Re: Powerlifting bar path
                          Pim25 Level 1

Rick, once again, thank you for helping me.

But, I still can't get it working

Let me try to explain again what I am trying to achieve, maybe I gave you got the wrong idea.

As soon as the squat starts, I want a line to follow the barbell, with the exact same speed (live speed).

So when I play the video, the line follows the barbell. So after 1 rep theres 1 line that goes down and up, and when I start the 2nd rep, the 2nd line appears...

Thank you!

• 10. Re: Powerlifting bar path

Already explained how to do that. Try this to get the idea.

1. Start a new comp 10 seconds long
                            2. Use the pen tool to draw a path with no fill and a 10 pixel stroke
                            3. With the shape layer selected press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties of the layer
                            4. Use the Add button to add trim paths
                            5. Add a keyframe for to the End property and set the value to 0 and the line should disappear
                            6. Move the CTI to the end of the timeline and change the end value to 100

Apply this principal to the path you are trying to animate. You'll will have to add multiple keyframes and make adjustments to get the timing to work out perfectly.

You will have to carefully go through the timeline and animate the end point. If you want to have multiple lines then you will have to duplicate the path and adjust both start and end points. There is no automatic way to precisely pick up the timing of the motion path. You could write an expression that tied the percentage of completion of the motion path of the null to the percentage of the End property of trim paths (or stroke or paint) but it would be too complicated for me to write it without going into AE and trying to figure it out. It might be a good thing to create and save for future use as an animation preset but it would not be a task for a beginner.

• 11. Re: Powerlifting bar path
                              Pim25 Level 1

Thank you Rick, it's working.

Im surprised though that there's no automatic way to do this....

Thank you, once again.

• 12. Re: Powerlifting bar path
                                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a way to do it more automatically, but that involves a completely different way of making the line. As they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat in AE.

You would use expressions to tie the position of an emitter in a particle effect to the position of the null object. Then, simply adjust the particle settings to fade or shrink over time so that you have a line drawing on and fading out.