15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 12:37 PM by A.T. Romano

Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems

gt92076288

I have successfully created films previously and have been very pleased with Premiere but over the Christmas weeks in trying to create a new film I am experiencing various problems and do not know if these are all connected or are a series of differing issues. Either way they are causing me great inconvenience and I am now very unhappy with the programme. I would appreciate assistance in resolving these problems.

Briefly these are, in no particular order:

• When transferring media to the time-line I have to keep the clips permanently on the computer desktop otherwise it disappears from the project.  Even after saving the project when reopening, the clip is not there unless it is on the desktop.

• When editing the clips the Premiere programme repeatedly stopped, displaying a message “Adobe elements has stopped working”.  I would then have to reopen Premiere.

• Although I have the Premiere icon on my desktop, on a number of occasions the programme will not open and I have to click it frequently to open, sometimes having to restart the computer.

• I also frequently received a message “Adobe is running very low on system memory. Save your work and proceed with caution”. Is there a limit to how many clips I can put onto the timeline when creating a project? How can I resolve this?

• I managed to Render the project but when I tried to ‘Publish and share’ it defaulted to render again but after a while it stops and shows the message “Export error, Error compiling movie. Unknown error”. I have therefore not been able to save the project to computer.

• When reviewing the film on the time-line the red (scroll) bar will occasionally stop and no further clips will be seen but the sound continues

• In ‘Expert’ mode there is a yellow/orange bar across the top of the clips. What does this indicate?

I am using Windows 10 on a HP Pavilion dv6 desktop computer.

Processor is AMD A6-3420MX APU with Radeon HD Graphics  1.70GHz

Installed RAM 6.00GB (2.74GB usable)

On C there is 697 GB with 134GB used and 562 GB free

32bit operating system x 64. based processor

Adobe 3.14GB. 3.18GB size on disk

I am in Macclesfield Cheshire if any one with expert knowledge is nearby and I will take my computer in

Many thanks

GT

• 1. Re: Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems
          A.T. Romano Level 7

GT

1. You are running Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 10 32 bit. In that case, Premiere Elements 13/13.1 is a 32 bit application in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system. That condition carries with it the 32 bit system limit of maximum supported installed RAM 4.0 GB of which typically 3 GB of that are available. All this limits the performance of the program, especially with large project with high resource demanding formats.

2. If you do not have the files on the computer desktop, where are they - an external hard drive formatted NTFS or other? If external hard drive, is the drive letter staying the same of changing on you?

3. What is the format of what you are importing into your Premiere Elements 13 projects - video compression, audio compression, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio? Some times knowing the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video will give us the troubleshooting information. If photos involved, please give pixel dimensions and how many photos.

3. What are you setting as the project preset? If you are seeing an orange line over the Timeline content for the first file imported to the Timeline, that suggests that you project settings are not correct. You may have to set the project preset manually.

4. When you are previewing the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor, do you Timeline render the content (press Enter Key) to get the best possible preview?

5. Miscellaneous...

a. Make sure your computer does not contain pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files.

b. Do the problems exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

c. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer?

d. Are you running the programs as administrator?

e. What is the size (duration and complexity) of your project when major problem hit?

Please consider the above as an overview of your situation. If any questions or need clarification on any of the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

We can go at whatever troubleshooting pace that you prefer.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems
            gt92076288 Level 1

Many thanks for the information, much appreciated.

I have to add that I am not an expert on computers so will have to take

this slowly and apologise for any time that I appear thick.

We are about to have evening dinner so may be tomorrow before I can respond

fully.

GT

• 3. Re: Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems
              A.T. Romano Level 7

GT

Thanks for the reply.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you are not clear on anything that I have written. The goal is to communicate. I will re-write if necessary. No question is too small or too large if you do not have an answer for it. And, we will go at whatever troubleshooting pace is best for you. Just let me know what information needs fine tuning.

As your schedule permits, we will look forward to working with your on your Premiere Elements problem.

ATR

• 4. Re: Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems
                gt92076288 Level 1

Hello and thanks again AT for your support, it is appreciated.

To respond to your information as best I can:

1. You are running Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 10 32 bit. In that case, Premiere Elements 13/13.1 is a 32 bit application in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system. That condition carries with it the 32 bit system limit of maximum supported installed RAM 4.0 GB of which typically 3 GB of that are available. All this limits the performance of the program, especially with large project with high resource demanding formats. I have 6 GB of RAM with 2.74 GB usable. Does that indicate I have insufficient RAM available for this programme?

2. If you do not have the files on the computer desktop, where are they - an external hard drive formatted NTFS or other? If external hard drive, is the drive letter staying the same of changing on you? None of the clips are in stored in external folders. Many are in folders on the desktop and appear OK when I open the project file.  About 60 others have had to be individually moved to the desktop (both JPG and .MTS vid clips) or they do not appear on the timeline when the project is opened next time, even after 'saving' the project. You can imagine my desktop is rather crowded.  I created a new folder especially for these items and moved them into that folder but that did not work so I had to replace them on the desktop.  

3. What is the format of what you are importing into your Premiere Elements 13 projects - video compression, audio compression, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio? Some times knowing the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video will give us the troubleshooting information. If photos involved, please give pixel dimensions and how many photos.Many of the video clips and still photo's have been taken on a relatively new Panasonic camera  HC-V210 Full HD (AVCHD Progressive). I download the full film from the camera to the computer then insert sections to the project for editing. Video frame rate 25 frames/second; audio 256 kbps. For the JPG's information 4224x2376 pixel, bit depth 24, compressed bits/pixel 33.3.      Other JPG have been taken on a Panasonic camera DMC-FS40, the JPG information 4225x3169.  Other photo's on a Samsung GT-18200M (1470x2032 pixel JPG). There is a selection of all of these on the desktop so it is not that any one camera is incompatible, the problem is across all.     I cut short the project when the recurring problems became too much of a nuisance, before that I would just frequently restart the project until the next time it stopped which was usually about 5-10 minutes during editing.     The total number of clips (both video and still) on the project are 286 with a running time of 14 minutes.       

3. What are you setting as the project preset? If you are seeing an orange line over the Timeline content for the first file imported to the Timeline, that suggests that you project settings are not correct. You may have to set the project preset manually.I have not met this information and unclear on the information. I did not change any of the project settings and have now just looked in the 'Edit' section of the project headings to see that Project settings are listed as General, Capture, Video Rendering. By the way I tend to use the "Quick" feature when creating a project rather than "Expert" and the orange line does not appear on 'Quick'.  If I open the project in 'Expert' the orange line does not appear until after 1 minute on the running time line.   I have successfully created three previous films using 'Quick' but these were not quite as long as the new one.

4. When you are previewing the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor, do you Timeline render the content (press Enter Key) to get the best possible preview? Yes I have successfully rendered the project - on most occasions it raised an error message when 99% rendered. When I clicked on 'Publish & Share'  to save the project to computer it automatically went to 'render' again but after a while stopped and showed "Export error, Error compiling movie. Unknown error" so I am unable to save the project to computer. I have just rendered the project successfully again now but once again when clicking on 'Publish & Save' it defaulted to render again but then stopped (at 100%) with the error message “Export error, Error compiling movie. Unknown error    I am trying to save to MPEG2 1440x1080i 25.

5. Miscellaneous...

a. Make sure your computer does not contain pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files.I have deleted any preview files from the desktop and the Premiere programme also deleted a previous film from the Premiere programme but there are two completed previous films on the desktop.

b. Do the problems exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled? I have not tried this but not aware of anything different this time from when the previous films, using the same cameras, were edited and completed successfully.  

c. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer? I have downloaded the latest version. 

d. Are you running the programs as administrator? I have not changed the default settings which show as 'System' 'User' and 'Administrator'

e. What is the size (duration and complexity) of your project when major problem hit? 286 individual clips, 14 minutes long project, but this is the shortened version as  I wanted to make it longer The problems started soon after commencing the project.

Many thanks once again for any advice, your comments are most welcome.

GT

• 5. Re: Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

GT

Thanks for the very helpful details to use in the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 10 32 bit troubleshooting.

My first impression is that you have a computer resource issue related to use of 32 bit application on 32 bit operating system.

Under this condition of not enough supported installed RAM and available RAM, photos grossly oversized for the project settings, 286 individual clips, HD project make matters worse.

Your support is limited by 32 bit system to max installed RAM 4.0 GB with about 3 GB or less of that available in spite of your 6 GB installed RAM. Free hard drive space in general and in particular to Save To locations are factors. High resource demanding import formats are also in the mix.

As a first pass at this, please do a mini test run with your 286 files in which you use photos sized to 1920 x 1080 pixels.

If the clips include the .mts video files, first tell us the properties of these .mts files - are they 1920 x 1080i or 1920 x 1080p or other?

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

pixel aspect ratio

With that information we will set the project preset manually and determine how far we get into the project with the new project sizing.

The photo resizing may be the answer to get the project done under the circumstances of an otherwise optimized computer. Let us see.

Any questions about the questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems
                    gt92076288 Level 1

My first impression is that you have a computer resource issue related to use of 32 bit application on 32 bit operating system.

Under this condition of not enough supported installed RAM and available RAM, photos grossly oversized for the project settings, 286 individual clips, HD project make matters worse.

Your support is limited by 32 bit system to max installed RAM 4.0 GB with about 3 GB or less of that available in spite of your 6 GB installed RAM. Free hard drive space in general and in particular to Save To locations are factors. High resource demanding import formats are also in the mix. If this is the main issue do you think it may be resolved, or benefited, by adding additional RAM?   

As a first pass at this, please do a mini test run with your 286 files in which you use photos sized to 1920 x 1080 pixels. Could you advise how I do this on the existing project?

If the clips include the .mts video files, first tell us the properties of these .mts files - are they 1920 x 1080i or 1920 x 1080p or other? The 'properties box for the MTS files just shows 1920x1080 (no letter) 

video compression Cannot locate this information in the 'properties' box of the individual clips. I have also opened the Premiere 'Edit' option on the project, then 'Get properties for file' then click on the project file but cannot locate the information you request - is there anywhere else I can find this? 

audio compression As above

frame size  As above

frame rate 25 frames per second

interlaced or progressive  As above

pixel aspect ratio  As above

Apologies for being unable to offer the information you request.

GT

• 7. Re: Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

GT

Thanks for the reply and information for the troubleshooting.

Regarding

Your support is limited by 32 bit system to max installed RAM 4.0 GB with about 3 GB or less of that available in spite of your 6 GB installed RAM. Free hard drive space in general and in particular to Save To locations are factors. High resource demanding import formats are also in the mix. If this is the main issue do you think it may be resolved, or benefited, by adding additional RAM?   

Your 32 bit computer operating system max supported RAM = 4 GB. You already have 6 GB (too much for your computer environment). So adding installed RAM will not help your 32 bit application.

Regarding

As a first pass at this, please do a mini test run with your 286 files in which you use photos sized to 1920 x 1080 pixels. Could you advise how I do this on the existing project?

You could explore Photoshop Elements Editor File Menu/Processor Multiple Files or the free IrfanView program and its batch processing. IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

Let me know if you are OK working with either for this task.

Regarding

You appear to be using 1920 x 1080 @ 25 frames per second, probably AVCHD.mts file. We are not sure interlaced or progressive yet.

For now, let us believe that your video is 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second.

Set the project preset manually to PAL/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p25 using the following steps

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                      • In Change Settings, set the project preset to above setting. OK out of there.
                      • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                      • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag your files to the Timeline

Import your video first - do you see an orange line over the Timeline content? Then import your 1920 x 1080 photos. Render the Timeline content if orange line over any of the content. Judge the playback quality. Same, better, worse than before all this? Stop there, and then we will consider what next.

Looking forward to your results as your schedule permits.

ATR.

• 8. Re: Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems
                        gt92076288 Level 1

Hi ATR

Apologies for this delayed reply - I have just found that your last note went into my Spam box and only just found it.  Please be assured that your assistance is valued and I hope to resolve the issues with your guidance.

I will attend to your suggestions as soon as possible and advise how I get on.

Many thanks

GT

• 9. Re: Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

GT

Thanks for the update.

As your schedule permits, we will be looking forward to your results which will help with the troubleshooting strategy.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems
                            gt92076288 Level 1

Hi

I have made an attempt......

Your 32 bit computer operating system max supported RAM = 4 GB. You already have 6 GB (too much for your computer environment). So adding installed RAM will not help your 32 bit application. OK thanks 

You could explore Photoshop Elements Editor File Menu/Processor Multiple Files or the free IrfanView program and its batch processing. IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide As a point of interest, how well do you rate Premiere against some Free sites?  I downloaded Irfan but first appearance seems complicated on how to load clips so sticking with Premiere for the time being. 

Also could you advise if there is a limit on how many clips can be added to any one project on Premiere? 

Regarding

You appear to be using 1920 x 1080 @ 25 frames per second, probably AVCHD.mts file. We are not sure interlaced or progressive yet.

For now, let us believe that your video is 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second.

Set the project preset manually to PAL/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p25 using the following steps

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                            • In Change Settings, set the project preset to above setting. OK out of there.
                            • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                            • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag your files to the Timeline (1) This looks like I will have to restart loading all 286 items of the project from the beginning as I can't 'copy and paste' from the existing project (and unable to have two copies of Premiere open at the same time anyway). 

Import your video first - do you see an orange line over the Timeline content? I imported just two video clips as a test and the orange line is there. Then import your 1920 x 1080 photos. Render the Timeline content if orange line over any of the content.I rendered the clips, orange line still present. Play back is OK. Judge the playback quality. Same, better, worse than before all this? Stop there, and then we will consider what next.

Maybe I should scrap the project, wipe the computer clean, reload the programme?

Aaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!

• 11. Re: Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

GT

I will respond to your post 10 today within the hour or earlier. Please let me know if you have seen this post so that I know that there is not a posting problem in this thread.

To be continued.

ATR

• 12. Re: Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems
                                gt92076288 Level 1

Hello again.

Many thanks for reconnecting. Your comments noted and appreciated.

I hope my issues are not too much of a nuisance.

GT

• 13. Re: Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

GT

Never a nuisance in this sharing process. Glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

If you are not forced into batch processing, then definitely go with Photoshop Elements Editor Crop Tool for sizing your photos with the wanted pixel dimensions and frame aspect ratio.

IrfanView takes a while to get oriented to in the how to. If you need it, I will go through the batch conversion on that.

Once the project preset has been established, you cannot change it. If the project preset is not correct and you need to change it, that means starting a new project.

There used to be a way of editing the Notepad document of the Premiere Elements project file in order to make changes in the project settings, but that is not longer possible at the user level. Edit Menu/Project Settings/General is OK to determine what project preset has been set, but you cannot make significant project setting changes there.

At this point, consider leaving the project as is. Just put it aside and do a mini test run with a new project.

Use the manually set DSLR project preset that I pointed to, import your photos, render the Timeline, then export with the type of export wanted.

What does that look like? Try the export to file or a burn to DVD-RW disc if multiple tests are needed. If you have a lot of DVD-R discs that you can spare, then just use the DVD-R for the mini tests.

If you set the project preset manually to that DSLR settings and ended up with the orange line over the 1920 x 1080 @ 25 frames per second, that probably means that your video is interlaced rather than progressive. In that case, the indicated project preset would be

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD1080i25.

Please consider the above and then we will review the situation.

Best wishes

ATR

• 14. Re: Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems
                                    gt92076288 Level 1

Hi ATR

For the rest of this week I am tied up with business matters and it will be early next week before I can attempt the procedures you suggest.  I don't think I can 'reply' to the thread more than once; ie. this occasion; so would be grateful if you just send me a 'hello' note to which I can respond once attempted.

Many thanks again.

GT

• 15. Re: Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

GT

Thanks for the updates.

Let us cover this from all angles to alert me that you are available to continue troubleshooting in your thread.

You can save the following link which is to this thread

Re: Assistance appreciated on various Premiere elements 13 problems

You can send me an Adobe Forums private message (as alert) by clicking on the following link in this forum to open to my profile and the envelope symbol to access private messaging.