4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 1:16 PM by Peter Spier

InDesign CC 2015 Master Page Items Glitch

Kurla7

Just installed the 2015 applications and started working in them yesterday and I am having a problem with one file and it's master pages. I have come up with a work around but the issue is troubling and I worry about other files moving forward. Here is what's happening.

I am working in a file that was created originally in probably InDesign CS3 each year I duplicate the file in the next years archive, open it in the current version of InDesign and move forward with the new content. There are 2 Master pages (A and B) that have been set up. The first 4 pages (starting on the right hand page) uses master page A. On pages 5-16 master page B is applied. On page 5 the entire page is blank like no master page style has been applied, 6-16 are correct. I tried adding all the content to page 6-16 and then deleting page 5 and any item that has not been pulled active off the master page is deleted on what is now the new page 5, previously page 6.

Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 10.40.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-01-06 at 10.42.20 AM.png

Because I still have the cc 2014 version on my system I opened last years file in 2014 software and added a new master page B after page 4 and it was fine.

I am totally stumped by this and while it's not a major catastrophic event in this case it makes me worry that our companies magazine files might have a similar problem with the master pages as we move forward and our timelines don't allow for these types of glitches...

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: InDesign CC 2015 Master Page Items Glitch
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You best bet with with workflow is to always start by opening the file in whatever version it was created in, and then saving it out as IDML. 

Do this each year before beginning the revision, to clear out trash and minor corruption in the file.

• 2. Re: InDesign CC 2015 Master Page Items Glitch
            Kurla7 Level 1

It seems counter to what you would want to do isn't IDML designed so you can convert newer files into something that older versions can open? That being said I tried it just now and in the new file created in InDesign 2015 I am getting the same results as I previously stated.

• 3. Re: InDesign CC 2015 Master Page Items Glitch
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Kurla7 wrote:

isn't IDML designed so you can convert newer files into something that older versions can open?

Yes, that is the main use of IDML, but it is also useful for cleaning up old accumulated trash and minor corruption from files.  On any year-to-year project, I always run the files through IDML from the previous version before starting. 

As far as your file problem, can you share the file via dropbox (or another file-sharing site)?  If I could look at the file, I might be able to get a better idea what is going on with it.

• 4. Re: InDesign CC 2015 Master Page Items Glitch
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

CS3 files are particularly prone to sudden catastrophic damage when opened directly in CC versions. The further the version gap, the more likely you are to have trouble. If possible, you should actually export the original CS3 file to .inx from CS3, then open that in your new version, strip it down to the essentials, and save as a template. If you cannot do that, I would rebuild from scratch and save a template. Recycling files as you have been doing is a recipe for disaster down the road.