10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2016 4:10 PM by oksamurai

Shouldn't everyone @ this Ch forum display a character in their profile pic or something? not the provided icons.

elnisdjcheco

I just think it would be pretty and soft if everyone was a cartoon, thought i'm triggering a drummer playing by putting drum shots instead of mouth pictures.

• 1. Re: Shouldn't everyone @ this Ch forum display a character in their profile pic or something? not the provided icons.
          MeredithY Adobe Employee

Hello,

You can create your own custom avatar within your Profile settings. In "Avatar and Photos," above the row of ready-made avatars, click on "add your own avatar" then follow the steps to crop and upload your image. The file formats and size limitation are included in the instructions. Note that there
          may be a delay before your avatar is published as the Forums Admins review all custom avatars.

I will admit that I happen to be in the offender category and need to refresh my own avatar. Thank you for bringing this up.

Meredith, for the Ch Team

• 2. Re: Shouldn't everyone @ this Ch forum display a character in their profile pic or something? not the provided icons.
            echological Level 1

Hello Meredith,

I am new to this all, and do not know what the Ch Team is - so this could be the wrong place to ask - but it is the only relevant thing that came up with my search. but I tried to upload an image as my avatar - and it crops it to a horizontal shape every time, even though the image is a square, and all avatar images that I see are square shapes. Why is the editor forcing a landscape layout on my square image (it is still pending).

Not sure why I am bothering... since I am brain dead from a week of struggling to find help from adobe. Forums helped up to a point. No phone help, chat is just a parrot (repeating everything I say... slowly). Now I am waiting for a supervisor to email me (yeah... "it's in the mail"). Been waiting for hours now. But since I have been in the forums all week, I thought it would be nice to have a prettier avatar.

Now... something as simple as that isn't even easy! I don't understand the forced landscape crop. All sizing information does not address this at all. IN fact, the sizes mentioned are all squares! My images are all either jpgs or pngs, and none of them exceed 1MB. The last one was 48x48 pixels.

Any ideas?

• 3. Re: Shouldn't everyone @ this Ch forum display a character in their profile pic or something? not the provided icons.
              MeredithY Adobe Employee

Hello,

You've reached the Character Animator Team; our software comes installed with After Effects (beginning with AE CC 2015 or AE 13.5) and works with an artist's images created in Photoshop or Illustrator to produce animations, using a camera and microphone to capture your facial expressions and voice, and your mouse and keyboard to program all kinds of behaviors/movements.

The issue you are encountering with the avatar is new to me. I have reached out to the team that supports our forums to try and figure out why this is happening to you and I'll reply as soon as possible.

Sorry for the frustration you've experienced with both the avatar and trying to find someone who can help you - I will let you know what I find out.

Kind regards,

Meredith

• 4. Re: Shouldn't everyone @ this Ch forum display a character in their profile pic or something? not the provided icons.
                oksamurai Employee Moderator

I don't know if this helps, but mine got cropped too. Notice how the big #1 one below is more horizontal and the small one in the corner is more square. This was a bigger picture to begin with so I had some room to spare, but still. Also if I remember correctly, the cropping tool was weird and finicky - I think I maybe used a different browser and that worked better?

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 8.03.13 AM.png

• 5. Re: Shouldn't everyone @ this Ch forum display a character in their profile pic or something? not the provided icons.
                  MeredithY Adobe Employee

I had the same experience last night. I did hear back from someone on the forums team and she said:

This is common confusion- because the site is pretty poorly
                  explained about this, but there are avatars (your picture next to your post)
                  and then profile images (shown on your profile only). You have to scroll down
                  at the Edit Communities page to get to avatars:

Forum_Grab 1.PNG

Forum_Grab2.PNG

These are cropped to squares.

I hope this helps!

• 6. Re: Shouldn't everyone @ this Ch forum display a character in their profile pic or something? not the provided icons.
                    echological Level 1

Thanks Meredith...

That helps a bit, I will check it out soon.

Although, the area I was working in looked identical to that, which is why I thought it was odd, since all preset avatars were square (in addition to the ones I see next to people).

In addition, I got word that my photo was approved (it was just a quick test, might update it later) at least a day ago, yet there are no images representing me in either situation (to my knowledge). No Profile or avatar image.

And also, I LOVE what you are doing at Ch Team! I would love to participate... someday. I currently only have CS4 though, and can not upgrade because I was downsized out of my job after 12yrs (corporate takeover). I have been using Photoshop and Illustrator rabidly since before that. I have always wanted to play with motion. I have only had the time (and need) to make a few gifs.

• 7. Re: Shouldn't everyone @ this Ch forum display a character in their profile pic or something? not the provided icons.
                      echological Level 1

Ok! Samurai...

Your image next to your post shows a square image, which is what I would expect... and it "appears" landscape in the profile photos screenshot. Did it get approved as it shows there? (landscape) Meaning, is your profile photo still landscape, whereas your avatar is square?

In my case, the image appeared square in the field, but there was a red crop box around it forcing it to be landscape, even though it was showing a square field (because the images was in fact, a square). The crop box was maxed side to side, but forced it down into a landscape shape.

I have computer fatigue right now - just spent an entire week attempting to reinstall my CS4. Learned a LOT (mainly that my original discs were from a buggy early batch - which has caused problems since the beginning). I installed it 3x. Read a LOT. Tried a LOT. Almost gave up, but thoroughly hunted down every single adobe document and app that I could find in the computer (uninstallers didn't do enough to remove vestiges). Then reinstalled from an Adobe DMG (for the second time). I now have the best install since the beginning! It's a miracle...

So, I will try my avatar again soon - after I document my process for posterity (I never thought it would haunt me this long! So who knows how much longer I will need this info?)

• 8. Re: Shouldn't everyone @ this Ch forum display a character in their profile pic or something? not the provided icons.

I just tried it right now and am not seeing a red crop box at all, only a neutral dotted line one - but I did notice the profile photos and avatar photos systems were separate and had different ways they cropped. I must have done them separately but used the same master photo. Yes, both still required approval.

• 9. Re: Shouldn't everyone @ this Ch forum display a character in their profile pic or something? not the provided icons.
                          echological Level 1

Thank you for your explanations!

Meredith is correct - it really isn't that clear. I just tried again. I went to Edit Communities Profile and saw my "approved" photo at the top (very blurry!). This is approved and shows up there (and I noticed that the other photo boxes were also slightly landscape), but it does not show up next to any posts... It also didn't show up on my profile page (yet to be developed), at least earlier today.

Then I realized more clearly that the section below was a SECOND option, not related to the area above. It would help if the language (or graphics) was more clear on this. So I added my test image in the bottom area, and indeed - it was not forced to a crop. My image was sized to 48x48 pixels because that was the best determination I could make on the final size (and I didn't want it arbitrarily edited). They were not particularly specific about WHICH image (although I know now that it must be the avatar as it is square).

Do you know what the best size is for the Profile photo? The one I put up was just a quick test (and actually meant for my avatar). I could not find any information for that one. Apparently, I am not the only confused one... what a relief! Thought I was losing my mind, especially with the issues that brought me here in the first place. All is well now. I love the forum community!

• 10. Re: Shouldn't everyone @ this Ch forum display a character in their profile pic or something? not the provided icons.

Glad it sounds like you finally figured it out! Not sure about most optimal sizes - just trial and error.