3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 11:11 AM by dj_paige

Import folder structure, photos greyed out issue

richvideo

Im just starting my Lightroom catalog. I have been trying to import photos that reside in a folder on my desktop into lightroom.

I'm in Library  I hit Import.  I scroll down to the folder that I would like to import.  (it has sub categories)

All of the photos that I would like to import are greyed out. like they have been imported into lightroom already.

The right hand column (Destination dropdown)

I scroll down to the destination drop down and find the desktop folder that I selected on the original Left sidebar

If I click on the All Photographs bar in the catalog dropdown... all of those photos Im trying to import are already showing up... but they are not in the proper folders like they are in the original Desktop folder.

Other folders show up as they do on the desktop folder but not this one. 

It appears when I imported them the file structure did not follow but the photos did import.

Do I have to drag all of these photos into that folder on the left... each individually?

I hope this make sense. 

Thanks for your help

Rich

• 1. Re: Import folder structure, photos greyed out issue
          dj_paige Level 9

You have probably imported the photos using the COPY option, and so Lightroom places a copy in some other folder, and uses that copy in that other folder. It does not know about the original photo in the folder you think it is in.

If you have no (or little) editing and adding of metadata to these photos, you could just start over with a new catalog (File->New Catalog) and import using ADD. Then the photos will appear in Lightroom in the folder you think it is in, and no copies will be made.

If you have done significant editing and/or adding of metadata, starting over would cause you to lose your edits and user-supplied metadata. But there's really no easy way to continue and fix the folder problem without a lot of further discussion, which also would involve providing screen captures.

Please consider viewing or reading some introductory tutorials on Lightroom, for example:

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/quickstart/

http://tv.adobe.com/show/getting-started-with-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-5/

• 2. Re: Import folder structure, photos greyed out issue
            richvideo Level 1

I do not have any photos that have been processed that I need to keep yet.  Still working thru all the set up and a lot of learning about what to do when I do start to edit.  If I can clean up this mess, maybe its a good idea to start over with a new catalog. If I do create a new catalog.  How will I tell it from the old one?  Should I and how do I delete the old catalog so as to not be confused. I can fix this now before I get a lot of edited photos.

I have laid out all of my original photos in a folder on my desktop and I won't be adding photos to lightroom from a camera card.  They will always be

imported from the desktop portfolio folder...So,  I should always use Import ADD instead of copy?

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Import folder structure, photos greyed out issue
              dj_paige Level 9

You would use ADD as long as it meets your needs. And you would use COPY or MOVE if one of those meet your needs.

Should I and how do I delete the old catalog so as to not be confused.

You give the new catalog a new name (it asks for the name when you select File->New Catalog) and then you can use your operating system to delete the old catalog file, the name ends with .LRCAT (you can tell it is older by the date the file was modified).