5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 1:30 PM by suhairi389

How to retrieve site data?

kellyh96628801 Level 1

I just downloaded and installed DW CS6 onto my computer and it seems to have completely replaced my old version of DW CS3. I should have exported all of my existing site data before doing this, but didn't realized it until I tried to retrieve the old site data. A search on my computer of all .ste files brings up nothing. Am I going to have to recreate all of this site data from scratch?

• 1. Re: How to retrieve site data?
          mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

By site data I assume you mean to say files for your website.  If this is so then the answer is NO you won't need to recreate from scratch because when installing DW, it does not touch any of your personal data.

Also, when you installed a newer version of DW CS6, it did not over-write the previous version of your DW CS3.  Both should still be on your HD so if you search for it, you will find it.

If, by any chance, you can't find your website files, you can download them from your hosts servers by using an external FTP program or simply using the DW's Import site module.

Hope this reassures you that you haven't lost anything.  You can now post further questions to know how to go about importing and/or searching for the files on your HD.

Good luck.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to retrieve site data?
            Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is all correct, unless the OP actually means DWCC and they forgot to uncheck "remove previous versions" when installing.

It's possible for CC to uninstall old versions seemingly automatically.

But as you mention, even if it did, the site files will be safe.

@kellyhart,

.ste files are not created by DW unless you tell it to export your site definitions. Even then, those files will only contain site specific settings like FTP credentials and local testing server info. To find your actual site files, do a search from your OS for index.html or a similar known "website file name" to see where you have them saved. You can then create a new site definition from Site > New... and browse to that location for your local root folder to get your site resources back into the program.

• 3. Re: How to retrieve site data?
              Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Site settings are stored in Windows Registry files.

In my experience, it's best to create new site definitions manually.

Go to Site > New Site.  Tell DW where to find the local site folder on your hard drive.

Input the FTP log-in credentials.   Save and export to STE files for safekeeping.

Nancy O.

• 4. Re: How to retrieve site data?
                kellyh96628801 Level 1

Thank you. I did find the DW CS3 program on my computer, opened it and exported the site data, then opened DW CS6 to import them only to discover that they were already there. Evidently all this was transferred when the newer version installed. Wonderful!

• 5. Re: How to retrieve site data?
                  suhairi389 Level 1

I am very grateful for the information, I have also experienced the same problem like this harga smartfren