6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 12:54 PM by JimHess

How to use Lightroom in 2 computers.

paulina@mseglobal.net

I have a Lightroom licence, and want to use it with my account in 2 computers, but when I open the program on the second computer my photos don´t appear. Is there a way to I make it work?

• 1. Re: How to use Lightroom in 2 computers.
          dj_paige Level 9

You have to transfer the catalog file and photos to the 2nd computer, keeping the file names and folder names and folder hierarchy the same as it was on the first computer.

• 2. Re: How to use Lightroom in 2 computers.
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Images must be imported on the second computer in order to be viewed and edited in Lightroom. The Lightroom program does not consume your images, they are in folders on your hard drive and Lightroom references those images in their locations. The easiest way to work with two computers is to have the catalog and previews as well as the images on an external hard drive that you can move from one computer to the other. Lightroom will open the same catalog, see the same images, and you will have all of the same adjustments on both computers.

• 3. Re: How to use Lightroom in 2 computers.
              Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi paulina,

Lightroom Catalog is stored locally on your machine by deafult.

When you installed Lightroom on two different machines, both machines would be having different catalog under Pictures\Lightroom folder (location by default)

If you want to access the same catalog on both the machines, then you need to store the catalog and original images on external drive so that you can plug in the external drive on the machine on which you want to edit images.

Regards,

Chetna

• 4. Re: How to use Lightroom in 2 computers.
                paulina@mseglobal.net Level 1

Thanks, but this way the changes in one computer won't reflect in the other one, right?

• 5. Re: How to use Lightroom in 2 computers.
                  dj_paige Level 9

You have to copy the catalog file from one computer to the other computer in order to have the changes reflected on both.

The easiest method is to put the photos and catalog file onto an external hard drive, and move the external hard drive from one computer to the other.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to use Lightroom in 2 computers.
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All of the adjustments you make in Lightroom are stored in the catalog. So, yes, if you follow the instructions you have been given the changes will be seen on the other computer. But be aware that any changes made on the second computer will require that you transfer the catalog back to the first computer. And if you imported any images they will have to be copied to the first computer. That's why the simplest method is to put the catalog and the images on an external hard drive. You don't have to worry about keeping the catalog in the images coordinated between the two computers.

1 person found this helpful