9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 12:33 PM by dj_paige

? How do you relocate a parent folder that was erroneously removed? (Lightroom CC)

carolw79386509 Level 1

Lightroom6: Trying to reorganize my folders. Had two for 2015. One said that it was empty. I removed it. Suddenly, everything for 2015 went blank. (Apparently it wasn't empty.)

I remember getting a message, that read: Remove parent folder? Since it had 0 files in it, I said yes. Can I get it back, or do I need to re-import all the photos from my computer or external drive?

After my heart attack, I realized that I didn't lose them, but I just don't know how to find them again. Are they hiding somewhere within LR in a recoverable place?

Thanks, all!

• 1. Re: ? How do you relocate a parent folder that was erroneously removed? (Lightroom CC)
          dj_paige Level 9

Suddenly, everything for 2015 went blank.

Do you mean that in Lightroom, your photos no longer appear but there are grey rectangles where the photos were; or do you mean something else?

One said that it was empty. I removed it.

Removed from your folders on the disk? Or from Lightroom? Or both? And if you mean removed from your folders on the disk, does "removed" mean "deleted"? If deleted, then look in the trash/recycle bin and if you find them, you should just put it back wherever it was before all this started.

Can you show us a screen capture of the problem in Lightroom? And another screen capture of the corresponding situation as seen in your operating system (what operating system is that, anyway?)

• 2. Re: ? How do you relocate a parent folder that was erroneously removed? (Lightroom CC)
            carolw79386509 Level 1

Hi dj,

Thanks for answering so promptly.

I’ll try to answer your questions as best as I can ….

Within LR, there seem to be a few different things going on. I’ll take screen shots of each and then go from there … (Sorry they’re so huge.)

From the Catalog on the left of the screen, there is “All Photographs.” 5241 files. As you can see below, some of them seem fine, others have exclamation points in their ‘frames,’ and others aren’t there at all. The metadata survived for all files. The ones w/the exclamation points (photo files and blank files), while the metadata is there, it just says ‘file not found.'

I had my main LR drive plugged in at the time of this debacle. I tried to import/copy files from it and the only thing that comes up in LR are the file names where the photos should be (grid view) and “there was nothing to import.” So I’m thinking that I may have blown both LR AND the drive? Yikes!

Notice it says below: “Current import - 0.”

When I cancel the import:

My assumption was that the folders were removed from LR. LR has the metadata, but says it can’t find the file. They are on my mac’s hard drive. I’m not sure what “removed” means. If memory serves me correctly, that was LR’s language. I will check my trash bin.

My OS is OSX Yosemite, v10.10.5. It seems to be fine. Any photo will come up in Preview Mode.

That’s all I know at this point. Thanks again for writing. I think I’d like to have a local LR guru help me through this, as I’m quite over my head. My organization up to this point has not been good - that’s what got me in this mess. If you know of someone in the San Diego area who could/would help me, I’d be grateful to know of them.

Thanks so much!

…c...

Carol Watts

carolwatts.500px.com

“I walk, I look, I see, I stop, I photograph.”

~ Leon Levinstein, 1955

“Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray.”

~ Rumi

• 3. Re: ? How do you relocate a parent folder that was erroneously removed? (Lightroom CC)
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

None of the screenshots posted. You have to go to the website in order to post screenshots.

• 4. Re: ? How do you relocate a parent folder that was erroneously removed? (Lightroom CC)
                carolw79386509 Level 1

Jim: Am very new to LR and this site. When you say "go to the website in order to post screenshots," are you talking about this website? Like here in this textbox, or .... ?

• 5. Re: ? How do you relocate a parent folder that was erroneously removed? (Lightroom CC)
                  Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

carolw79386509 wrote:

Jim: Am very new to LR and this site. When you say "go to the website in order to post screenshots," are you talking about this website? Like here in this textbox, or .... ?

Yes Carol, you have to post images here using the camera icon not via email...

• 6. Re: ? How do you relocate a parent folder that was erroneously removed? (Lightroom CC)
                    carolw79386509 Level 1

Jim and Geoff: In the future, I'll remember to post comments/questions and photos/screen shots from w/in this site, rather than external email.

Thanks to each of you who have tried to help me, even tho you didn't have much to work with. In the meantime, I have found the answers - and the photos are showing up again in LR. Still not quite sure what I did to cause the problem, but realized that the Parent Folder had been hidden, rather than removed, as I had feared. So I think I'm up and running again.

I have learned that my overall organizational mess was/is because I committed one of the Newbies Worst Sins: moving and renaming files outside of LR. Of all the reading and watching that I've done over the past months, I don't remember ever seeing that LAW. And it should be a law. Apparently I am not the only person who has made this mistake.

Ergo ~ I still need to clean up a pretty big organizational mess - with over 5K photos. Can someone recommend a VERY BASIC step-by-step reference (for Dummy Newbies) for a) organizing files when importing new photos, and b) reorganizing files w/out running the risk of making matters worse?

I appreciate your help and patience,

...c...

• 7. Re: ? How do you relocate a parent folder that was erroneously removed? (Lightroom CC)
                      dj_paige Level 9

Ergo ~ I still need to clean up a pretty big organizational mess - with over 5K photos. Can someone recommend a VERY BASIC step-by-step reference (for Dummy Newbies) for a) organizing files when importing new photos, and b) reorganizing files w/out running the risk of making matters worse?

This is an excellent book on organizing

- The DAM Book

• 8. Re: ? How do you relocate a parent folder that was erroneously removed? (Lightroom CC)
                        carolw79386509 Level 1

Thanks, DJ, for the suggestion of the DAM book. I will definitely look into it. (BTW - I did find my photos, and have been able to reintroduce them into LR.) I will take better care to organize from now on, and WILL NOT MOVE ANYTHING OUTSIDE of LR. (o: Lesson learned.

• 9. Re: ? How do you relocate a parent folder that was erroneously removed? (Lightroom CC)
                          dj_paige Level 9

carolw79386509 wrote:

Thanks, DJ, for the suggestion of the DAM book. I will definitely look into it. (BTW - I did find my photos, and have been able to reintroduce them into LR.) I will take better care to organize from now on, and WILL NOT MOVE ANYTHING OUTSIDE of LR. (o: Lesson learned.

I will make another suggestion ... don't move your photos at all. They come out of the camera and go into the folder that they will live in forever. How simple is that! You can't ever have problems if you don't move the photos. I don't. You would use keywords and other metadata as your organizing and search tools, as explained in The DAM Book. (EXCEPTION: the one time you should move your photos is when you need to move them to a new hard disk or new computer, and in those cases you would be wise to move the photos using your operating system and reconnect via these instructions: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders)