16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2016 5:00 PM by Jao vdL

Just bought a new iMac for PS & LR but LR performance is terrible!

sound of the atom

Hi all.

I've been using PS and LR now for a few years on my 9 year old PC, but in the last few months things have been getting a little sluggish, so I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new computer. After much deliberation, about 3 weeks ago I bought an iMac 27inch retina 5k with 32gb of RAM. I expected LR and PS to fly on my new machine. Unfortunately they don't. PS isn't too bad, but LR is terrible. It seems to take an age to just start. I get the coloured spinning wheel thingy on the screen for ages quite regularly. Having spent so much on a new computer just to run PS and LR I am more than a little annoyed. LR is actually slower than on my 9 year old pc which only has 6gb of RAM. The computer seems to run perfectly fine for everything else I use it for, although to be fair, I don't really do anything on it apart from from PS and LR. So i'm assuming its a software problem.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: Just bought a new iMac for PS & LR but LR performance is terrible!
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you using the latest LR? 2015.3? 2015.2 was a disaster of beach balling and slowness.

• 2. Re: Just bought a new iMac for PS & LR but LR performance is terrible!
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What versions of Photoshop and Lightroom do you have?

• 3. Re: Just bought a new iMac for PS & LR but LR performance is terrible!
              Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi sound of the atom,

Please check the following link .

Improve Photoshop Performance : Optimize performance Adobe Photoshop CC

Improve Lightroom Performance : How to improve and speed up Photoshop Lightroom performance

Regards,

Tanuj

• 4. Re: Just bought a new iMac for PS & LR but LR performance is terrible!
                sound of the atom Level 1

I only downloaded them 2 weeks ago so I assume they're the latest versions. (I'm totally new to the mac OS so I don't know how to find out which version it is yet!)

• 5. Re: Just bought a new iMac for PS & LR but LR performance is terrible!

It's in the same location as on windows. Look in the splash screen.You can also do "about Lightroom" from the Lightroom menu.

• 6. Re: Just bought a new iMac for PS & LR but LR performance is terrible!

Hi.

I've just had a quick look at the 'how to improve and speed up PS and LR performance' link you gave but nothing really applies. I have the 2TB fusion drive in my mac so HDD speed and size shouldn't be an issue. My catalog isn't particularly big and is stored locally. Also, as its a brand new machine which is well above the minimum requirements there should be no need to defrag or install any updates.

• 8. Re: Just bought a new iMac for PS & LR but LR performance is terrible!

Hmm that should be just fine. Is it not doing something silly like trying to find faces in all your images in the background? Have you made sure that the previews are big enough for the very high resolution screen? That's usually the problem when you're getting beach balls that the previews are not generated at the correct size for the display and Lightroom spends seconds generating new previews. You should check the Catalog settings (Lightroom menu) and make sure the standard preview size is set to Auto. Behind auto it should say something like 5000 pixels. Basically on the 5K screen you almost need 1:1 previews for everything if you want to be able to quickly jump between images. Another thing to try is to see what happens when you open Lightroom in low resolution, more akin to a normal display. This preference is found when you find the Lightroom app in your applications folder on your hard disk. Then do a get info on it (command-I - make sure Lightroom is not running at that point) and check "open in low resolution". Restart Lightroom and see if it makes a difference.

• 9. Re: Just bought a new iMac for PS & LR but LR performance is terrible!
                        Hayhill Level 2

Odd behavior. I have almost the identical machine with no problems at all. Previews are set at 1440 and Medium, and the Graphics processor is checked on.. Nothing much else to add.

• 10. Re: Just bought a new iMac for PS & LR but LR performance is terrible!

Thanks for the suggestions, but face detection is off. I've changed the previews to what you suggested but it's still the same. Even in the low resolution mode you mention. I also posted the same question on an Apple forum and people were suggesting it could be the size of my LR catalog, but the same catalog runs fine on my old pc, and it isn't even that big. Talking of my old pc, i did a quick comparison a few minutes ago. My old pc and my imac are next to each other on my desk so i decided to run LR on them both at the same time. It loaded quicker (the same catalog) on my 9 year old pc than my imac.

I'm starting to pull my hair out now!

• 11. Re: Just bought a new iMac for PS & LR but LR performance is terrible!

That's definitely not right. One thing to try is to reset the preferences file on Lightroom. Also, when you copied your catalog over, what did you specifically copy over? I'd assume only the catalog file and the images themselves? If so, what you are seeing might be Lightroom rebuilding all its previews. If your catalog is a sizable magnitude, that could take a while. I've also noticed that Lightroom in the latest version has been a little strange in when it decides it needs new previews. It often doesn't realize until you go to the image itself.

Another test to do is to create a new empty catalog and import a few (say 50) images into it and check how that behaves.

• 12. Re: Just bought a new iMac for PS & LR but LR performance is terrible!

Ahh, we might be onto something! Firstly, yes. When I moved my catalog over from my pc I just moved the master 'images' folder with all my folders inside (year/month/event) and the actual LR catalog. When I first opened the catalog, naturally it couldn't locate the images until I navigated to my master folder, and then all my images loaded.

But i have just done what you suggested - create a new catalog and add some images. What a difference! It imported them and made full 1:1 previews in no time. It also moves between images considerably faster. Which leads me to the assumption you were probably making that something isn't quite right with my original catalog. I'm not sure what i can do to rectify that apart from just starting with a new catalog from now on and using that instead. If I need any of my older images I'll have to open the old catalog and put up with the lack of performance. Unless anyone can suggest anything?

• 13. Re: Just bought a new iMac for PS & LR but LR performance is terrible!

I would suggest two things. First, start Lightroom with the option key pressed. Select your catalog and click on "test integrity of this catalog". Click open and let Lightroom go through its check. This should take a while and hopefully not throw any errors. Then in the File menu, select optimize catalog. Lastly, select all your images and go to Library->Previews->Build standard sized previews. It should then first scan all your images which can take a while and then go through building all previews. This can take overnight. You should be left with a catalog that is speedy again.

If this doesn't help, then I'd suggest you take a new catalog and import from your old catalog (File menu). This should bring over everything you had in the original one but also prompt Lightroom to start generating previews for all the files but most importantly it should give you a catalog file that is unsullied.

• 14. Re: Just bought a new iMac for PS & LR but LR performance is terrible!

You my friend are a star! I'll try what you suggest and leave it overnight. Fingers crossed, by tomorrow I might have it sorted! I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for all your help.

• 15. Re: Just bought a new iMac for PS & LR but LR performance is terrible!

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you but I've been away for a few days. I'm back now though!

I've tried everything you suggested, even creating a new catalog and importing from my old catalog, and it did make a bit of a difference, but its still not right. It does load faster now and I don't get the spinning coloured beachball as much. Navigating between photo's is definitely faster but when I'm actually making adjustments to an image its still very sluggish. For example, I was making an exposure adjustment to an image using the adjustment brush with my wacom tablet. I was only trying to lighten a small area of the floor but as i painted with the adjustment brush nothing happened for about a second. I could see it making the adjustment AFTER i'd finished painting. And when i make any adjustments with the sliders there is a definite delay before anything happens. This makes editing incredibly difficult!

Earlier tonight I had an online chat with Apple because I'm still not convinced 100% its not my Mac at fault. He suggested a few things to try (making a new user account and trying LR in that), uninstalling the software completely and installing it again, all of which made no difference. He also instructed me how to run a few diagnostic tests on my system all of which came back fine. So now I'm completely stuck with no idea what to do next. I feel like I've wasted nearly £2300...

• 16. Re: Just bought a new iMac for PS & LR but LR performance is terrible!

as i painted with the adjustment brush nothing happened for about a second. I could see it making the adjustment AFTER i'd finished painting. And when i make any adjustments with the sliders there is a definite delay before anything happens. This makes editing incredibly difficult!

This is unfortunately pretty typical behavior for Lightroom 6/CC when you have GPU acceleration turned on even on the fastest machines. It should be better when you turn that off but then the other sliders will become sluggish on your machine due to the extremely high resolution of your display. This is because Adobe hasn't accelerated the brushing yet and it is actually slower when you have Graphics card acceleration turned on than without. Unfortunately when you have a really high res display (retina screens, 4K and bigger, etc.) you really want the GPU acceleration turned on.

Earlier tonight I had an online chat with Apple because I'm still not convinced 100% its not my Mac at fault. He suggested a few things to try (making a new user account and trying LR in that), uninstalling the software completely and installing it again, all of which made no difference. He also instructed me how to run a few diagnostic tests on my system all of which came back fine. So now I'm completely stuck with no idea what to do next. I feel like I've wasted nearly £2300...

The only thing that will really help is a lower resolution display. Lightroom 6/CC is a sluggish editor unfortunately also in my experience and there are some things that you can't really fix by throwing faster hardware at it.