6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2016 10:21 AM by davidc92508824

Printing Too Dark

davidc92508824

Hi folks,

I've spent almost four days now working on this problem. If anyone has a solution I'd be grateful.

Up until two weeks ago I was producing great prints which looked almost exactly like they did on the monitor: brightness, contrast, color, everything nearly perfect.

Now all my prints are coming out too dark, especially shadows, with less detail and a red, orange or brown tint. I've tried adjusting monitor brightness, Even with the monitor brightness turned all the way down, the previews on screen are lighter than the prints. Lr is managing color, with ICC profiles downloaded from the website of the paper company. Color management is turned off in the printer. The monitor is calibrated with X-Rite's ColorMunki. Print heads and nozzles have been checked and cleaned. All drivers are up to date. Exporting to JPEG and printing from Windows produces a somewhat better result, but far from perfect. I'm clean out of options. Anyone?

MSI GE 60 i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz

Windows 10 (64 bit)

Epson Artisan 810

NVidia GeForce 765m

X-Rite ColorMunki Smile

• 1. Re: Printing Too Dark
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Davidc,

Greetings.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: Printing Too Dark
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the prints are too dark then the brightness on your monitor is set too high. If all of the other colors are matching well, I would suggest adjusting the monitor brightness to match one of the dark prints, and then adjust the image to your liking.

• 3. Re: Printing Too Dark
              davidc92508824 Level 1

Thanks kindly for your responses

The monitor brightness problem is the most common solution I found online for dark prints. But my laptop screen is set at very low brightness, darker than a sheet of blank paper in typical room lighting, and as low as monitor preferences allow, in fact. The prints are simply wrong. Monitor brightness is not the problem in my case.

A little too dark is one thing, but a total lack of detail, pure black shadows. And there's a color shift as well. Yellows look tan, dark greens look slate-colored. And when I use LIghtroom print adjustment sliders to increase brightness, the prints look washed out.

I've calibrated my monitor numerous times with ColorMunki Smile. Before and after almost every step of the troubleshooting protocols.

The last resort is to revert to LR 5. Thanks for any help.

Dave

• 4. Re: Printing Too Dark
                D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure you have the correct paper type set in the printer driver. You need to do this even if Lightroom manages color.

Do you still have Lr5 installed to compare?

I agree this isn't about monitor calibration/brightness.

• 5. Re: Printing Too Dark
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Check your printer driver settings. It appears there's a confusing driver setting named Off (No Color Adjustment) under ICM Advanced settings. It should be checked when letting LR manage printing.

• 6. Re: Printing Too Dark
                    davidc92508824 Level 1

H

D Fosse wrote:

Make sure you have the correct paper type set in the printer driver. You need to do this even if Lightroom manages color.

Do you still have Lr5 installed to compare?

I agree this isn't about monitor calibration/brightness.

Hi and thanks. I have glossy paper selected in the printer driver for the glossy paper I'm using in my Epson. That has worked fine in the past, but of course I still have the problem.

I've also made sure to check the ICM box and the No Color Adjustment option in the advanced tab of the printer driver.

Sadly, I uninstalled LR 5. Hopefully I can still download it from Adobe.