5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2016 7:35 AM by Gutter-Fish

png don't display correctly in comps

Bend The Light

I just installed After Effects CC on a new machine, opened a comp that I had done on another machine.

all looked ok, except that one of the graphics, a PNG, displays as big blocks of colour, instead of the image.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thankserror displaying png.jpg

• 1. Re: png don't display correctly in comps
          kulpreet singh Adobe Employee

Hi,

Your media file (.png) is offline.

I mean, its not linked to your composition.

Please right click on that file, in the project panel, select Replace footage>File and locate that .png file again.

Regards,

Kulpreet

• 2. Re: png don't display correctly in comps
            Bend The Light Level 1

Just as you replied, I spotted the same!

BUT - I have 279 "footage files" missing...I am just working out how to re-link them. :/

Thank you

• 3. Re: png don't display correctly in comps
              Gutter-Fish Level 4

If they're all in the same place AE will find them all when you show it where one is.   This is one of the reasons why it's a good practice to keep all the graphics files for a said project neatly together.  It makes it easier to hand off to someone and if you run into the issue you're having here it's a simple fix.  If Those 279 files you're missing are scattered all over the place I think you may be in for some tedious work.  Or you could check out the menu options under File>Dependencies

• 4. Re: png don't display correctly in comps
                Bend The Light Level 1

Thank you. I am working on being "tidy" with the source files.

• 5. Re: png don't display correctly in comps
                  Gutter-Fish Level 4

Everytime I start a project I create a project folder with at least two subfolders: Graphics & Audio.

I pin the graphics folder to Explorer's (windows) quick select menu and also to the "Favorites" menu in Bridge.

When I download photos off the net i immediately put them in the graphics folder via Explorers quick select menu.

When browsing my own image libraries on my computer I always do it in Bridge. When I find something I want to use I just right click it and choose  Copy To> Graphics

Then of course everything I bring onto the project I drag from or import from that graphics folder.

This way everything for the project is all in one place.

I also learned the hard way to work like this.  It takes an extra few seconds to move images before using them but it's worth it.