5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2016 7:35 AM by Gutterfish

png don't display correctly in comps

Bend The Light

I just installed After Effects CC on a new machine, opened a comp that I had done on another machine.

all looked ok, except that one of the graphics, a PNG, displays as big blocks of colour, instead of the image.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thankserror displaying png.jpg

• 1. Re: png don't display correctly in comps
          kulpreet singh Adobe Employee

Hi,

Your media file (.png) is offline.

I mean, its not linked to your composition.

Please right click on that file, in the project panel, select Replace footage>File and locate that .png file again.

Regards,

Kulpreet

• 2. Re: png don't display correctly in comps
            Bend The Light Level 1

Just as you replied, I spotted the same!

BUT - I have 279 "footage files" missing...I am just working out how to re-link them. :/

Thank you

• 3. Re: png don't display correctly in comps
              Gutterfish Adobe Community Professional

If they're all in the same place AE will find them all when you show it where one is.   This is one of the reasons why it's a good practice to keep all the graphics files for a said project neatly together.  It makes it easier to hand off to someone and if you run into the issue you're having here it's a simple fix.  If Those 279 files you're missing are scattered all over the place I think you may be in for some tedious work.  Or you could check out the menu options under File>Dependencies

• 4. Re: png don't display correctly in comps
                Bend The Light Level 1

Thank you. I am working on being "tidy" with the source files.

• 5. Re: png don't display correctly in comps
                  Gutterfish Adobe Community Professional

Everytime I start a project I create a project folder with at least two subfolders: Graphics & Audio.

I pin the graphics folder to Explorer's (windows) quick select menu and also to the "Favorites" menu in Bridge.

When I download photos off the net i immediately put them in the graphics folder via Explorers quick select menu.

When browsing my own image libraries on my computer I always do it in Bridge. When I find something I want to use I just right click it and choose  Copy To> Graphics

Then of course everything I bring onto the project I drag from or import from that graphics folder.

This way everything for the project is all in one place.

I also learned the hard way to work like this.  It takes an extra few seconds to move images before using them but it's worth it.