5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2016 10:50 PM by chands55820675

What is the permanent fix for frequent "Preview cache" error. Any suggestions. Using Lightroom 6.3 Desktop version on Windows 10

chands55820675 Level 1

What is the permanent fix for frequent "Preview cache" error. Any suggestions.

Using Lightroom 6.3 Desktop version on Windows 10

• 2. Re: What is the permanent fix for frequent "Preview cache" error. Any suggestions. Using Lightroom 6.3 Desktop version on Windows 10
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Are you getting frequent corruption of the Preview Cache? If you are then you have some type of hardware problem. Faulty, failing hard drive or faulty RAM.

LR doesn't corrupt its own preview cache folder. It just reads and writes data to the hard drive. Reading it into RAM then displaying what it has read on the screen. If something has changed it writes those changes back to the HDD through RAM. So if you are getting frequent corruption of that folder and the files inside that folder then some part of your computers hardware is to blame.

• 3. Re: What is the permanent fix for frequent "Preview cache" error. Any suggestions. Using Lightroom 6.3 Desktop version on Windows 10
            chands55820675 Level 1

Thanks for taking time to read my question and respond. I respectfully disagree. I have tested and retested my hardware and have not found any issues.

Cache Read/Write methods in use today are a very matured pattern in computer industry (both in software and hardware domains) and if several users of this software are having the SAME issue then I attribute the issue more on the software (Lightroom) OR the way software's fault tolerance is designed and its agility to handle fault tolerance needs to be addressed.

There are threads dating back 2011-2012 where  I observe the SAME issue still remains unresolved. This casts a very serious trust problem. I have choices and options to stay away from using this software but at same time Adobe's "rubber stamp" responses and temporary solution I am observing are also questionable since this software is not freeware but a fully paid software and like any other company in good standing Adobe needs to respect voice and complaints of the customers.

Once again, thanks for your response.

Kind regards

• 4. Re: What is the permanent fix for frequent "Preview cache" error. Any suggestions. Using Lightroom 6.3 Desktop version on Windows 10
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

But then there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of users that don't get any corruption of the Preview Cache, me being one of them.

Yes there are others that post about problems with the preview cache.

It is still my option that these errors are caused by hardware. If it was LR that was corrupting its own cache folder and files in that folder then you would see thousands if not millions of posts about it and you don't. Simply if that happened people would go to some other software.

Simple fact is no file stored on a hard drive and loaded into RAM gets corrupted all by itself. All any program is doing is Reading those files to display something on the screen and allow the user to interact with it. Then if that file has changed it is written back to the hard drive for storage, that is all hardware.

Have you used Memtest 86 to check your RAM? Have you checked your drives for SMART errors?

• 5. Re: What is the permanent fix for frequent "Preview cache" error. Any suggestions. Using Lightroom 6.3 Desktop version on Windows 10
                chands55820675 Level 1

Thanks for your response and interest in understanding and contributing to solving my issue.

Agree, there are users who do not have this issue including yourself.

I am not ruling out hardware as a contributor to the problem (possibly sole contributor if any specific errors are evident or raised by system) but in the event of no serious errors visible or raised concluding this as a hardware issue may be premature in my opinion.

A hardware problem generally requires hardware replacement OR diagnosis / correction with some advance tools as you mentioned.

Is it fair to assume that removing / deleting preview file/s fixes a hardware problem in this specific issue that we are discussing? because.......

As I read in most responses to this problem that are available on public internet domain it appears that the popular and proven remedy suggested by Adobe agents (and several others) is to delete the preview file/s and it also appears the problem [same as I am facing/same error message] magically went away and problem was resolved. It sure did not work for me as it did not for several others as I observe reading the comments.

I have not used Memtest 86 and my hard drive for SMART errors. I will surely perform the tests as you suggested.

I have performed standard windows memory tests and standard hard disc tests but all came clean.

Once again I thank you for your response and your suggestions.

Kind regards