7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2016 6:36 AM by joachims25232702

Softproof for a 50 lux living room

joachims25232702 Level 1

I understand that soft-proof works great if I change my LCD display to around 90cd and look at the print with about 2000lux.

Now, I want to keep my 120cd screen brightness because I also like to adjust photos for screen shows. And I like to generate photos that show people with faces to be placed in living rooms with limited light, possibly around 50 lux.

Is there a way that I could use Photoshop (or something else) to generate an ICC profile for Lightroom that would show the appearance of a photo in a 50 lux environment? Or do these profiles exists somewhere?

I am thinking of a workflow where I create virtual copies and adjust those for special printing using such an ICC profile.

• 1. Re: Softproof for a 50 lux living room
          joachims25232702 Level 1

... so I sort of answer my own post:

For CEWE glossy prints, I set the LR Exposure to -2.2. That shows me the lowest still recognizable face signature

For Whitehall (mid-prize glossy) I set exposure to -1.7.

I have a bright Acer T230H set to contrast 33 and brightness 98, calibrated with a Spider 3 (win10).

That is my short cut to a 50lux picture light ICC profile. I still hope to find one one day...

• 2. Re: Softproof for a 50 lux living room
            thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

joachims25232702 wrote:

I understand that soft-proof works great if I change my LCD display to around 90cd and look at the print with about 2000lux.

Not so. It works when display calibration is configured for a visual match to whatever you want to target the print viewing conditions for. See:

Why are my prints too dark?

A video update to a written piece on subject from 2013

In this 24 minute video, I'll cover:

Are your prints really too dark?

Display calibration and WYSIWYG

Proper print viewing conditions

Trouble shooting to get a match

Avoiding kludges that don't solve the problem

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/Why_are_my_prints_too_dark.mp4

Low resolution: https://youtu.be/iS6sjZmxjY4

• 3. Re: Softproof for a 50 lux living room
              joachims25232702 Level 1

I do not want to degrade my monitor so it looks like a photo hang at a dark wall. I want software to do that, so that I enjoy my monitor afterwards again. I guess, the best solution is, not to print all and just buy a couple of digital frames.

• 4. Re: Softproof for a 50 lux living room
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

joachims25232702 wrote:

... so I sort of answer my own post:

For CEWE glossy prints, I set the LR Exposure to -2.2. That shows me the lowest still recognizable face signature

For Whitehall (mid-prize glossy) I set exposure to -1.7.

I have a bright Acer T230H set to contrast 33 and brightness 98, calibrated with a Spider 3 (win10).

That is my short cut to a 50lux picture light ICC profile. I still hope to find one one day...

This will not simulate lower viewing light levels because the LR Exposure control is non-linear. It targets the midtone area with highlight and shadow areas changed to a lesser degree. There's no control I am aware of in LR for adjusting the whole tonal range linearly. PS has an Exposure control under Image> Adjustments> Exposure that provides this exact capability. Notice the 3rd neutral patch from the right (RGB 94 or 36% in LR) is virtually the same, but none of the others.

LR and PS -2.0 Exposure Comparison.jpg

• 5. Re: Softproof for a 50 lux living room
                  joachims25232702 Level 1

Hi,

thanks for this hint. I am aware that "my" method is a very poor man's choice. I have 40 or so prints and am simply holding them next to my monitor and move the exposure slider until the faces (and only the faces) look the same. Only faces that look good under those conditions then get the "pleasant for mother to watch" mark. This equates roughly to a minimum L(AB) value of 50 using the method that you explained  to me in another thread. But placing the WB selector over the correct area is tricky, even with zooming. Faces with a higher red content tolerate lower values.

• 6. Re: Softproof for a 50 lux living room
                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

joachims25232702 wrote:

This equates roughly to a minimum L(AB) value of 50 using the method that you explained  to me in another thread. But placing the WB selector over the correct area is tricky, even with zooming. Faces with a higher red content tolerate lower values.

Yes, that was a revealing thread. The WB eyedropper uses a fixed 5x5 sample area regardless of the Scale or Zoom view settings. How about adding your vote at the problem report:

Lightroom White Balance Eyedropper Tool No Longer Working Properly

• 7. Re: Softproof for a 50 lux living room
                      joachims25232702 Level 1

... done. It would be even better if we had a photshop style way of displaying a histogram with averaged values over a selected area. A bit like in a wet darkroom, where you put a white halfsphere over your photometer and meassure stuff. May be I could dig out my old Philips photometer and use it on my screen? Then I would have a hybrid darkroom...