4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2016 5:12 AM by dj_paige

How to import raw pictures from OSX Photos into LR CC?

Kloffie

Hello all, not sure whether there is a thread on this specific subject yet...

I have imported the pictures from my (Sony RX-100) camera to (OSX El Capitan-Photos) iMac. Both in raw as jpg (and including some vid's and panorama's as well). In OSX Photos the (thumbnail) pictures are marked (in the left-lower corner) with a "J". I already found out that this represents the jpg-version of the picture. Also found out how to change this (in OSX Photos) into the raw-version, with corresponding "R" mark (fyi: the marks are 'layered'). So far so good, but then... Here are my questions:

1. Where can I find these raw-files on my iMac? I presume they must be hidden, how to unhide them? I prefer to use Finder in stead of a third-party app (like invisibliX) or do I need the terminal-command ("defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES").
      2. I would like OSX Photos to stay my main photo-organizing tool. And (just) use LR CC for the more extended optimizations on my pictures (than OSX Photos can). So how should the workflow be? After being able to address the hidden raw files, make a visible (sub)directory, copy the raw files to this (sub)directory and have LR CC import those? Make all adjustments in LR CC, okay, but what then? Export from LR CC to OSX Photos (as jpg's)? Please advise.
        • 1. Re: How to import raw pictures from OSX Photos into LR CC?
          dj_paige Level 9

Where can I find these raw-files on my iMac? I presume they must be hidden, how to unhide them? I prefer to use Finder in stead of a third-party app (like invisibliX) or do I need the terminal-command ("defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES").

This is not a question about Lightroom, and so you'd be better off asking in a forum about Photos

I would like OSX Photos to stay my main photo-organizing tool. And (just) use LR CC for the more extended optimizations on my pictures (than OSX Photos can). So how should the workflow be? After being able to address the hidden raw files, make a visible (sub)directory, copy the raw files to this (sub)directory and have LR CC import those? Make all adjustments in LR CC, okay, but what then? Export from LR CC to OSX Photos (as jpg's)? Please advise.

This is a bad idea, that probably won't work. Lightroom was not designed to be a stand-alone editor, the photos have to be imported into Lightroom in order for you to use them, and Lightroom does not communicate in any way with Photos. So what should the workflow be? Use one application, rather than two. Your choice which one you want to use.

• 2. Re: How to import raw pictures from OSX Photos into LR CC?
            Kloffie Level 1

Thank you for your swift reply dj_paige! I do appreciate it, but I hoped for an advise based upon my info... However your reply made me clear that my question should have been: How do I use LR CC as a stand alone editor, whilst keeping OSX Photos as my main program for viewing/organizing my pictures?

For all those with the same wish, in the meanwhile I got one step further. There's NO need to hassle around with Terminal or other programs to unhide files, all raw pictures are saved in the Photo Library. From within Finder go to: Pictures > Photo Library. Next: select from the context menu: show package content (of Photo Library). Look for a file named "Masters". Here I found all my pictures, categorized by OSX by date. I could copy the .ARW files (Sony-extension for raw-files) to another folder. And access those with LR CC. (I'm pretty sure there is a smarter way to have OSX select all my raw files at once, probably something with adding new-smart-file, need to look into that however).

Next project is to find out how to export the adjusted pictures to OSX Photos again. So any advice or help finding out the most user-friendly way is much appreciated!

• 3. Re: How to import raw pictures from OSX Photos into LR CC?
              Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hello.

I see you have found the answer regarding location of the hidden files.

There is no way to use Lightroom as an editor only... if you want that feature get Photoshop and use the ACR plugin which has much the same Develop tools as Lightroom.

Lightroom is a database with modules incorporated for differing functions so like Photos the files need to be added to the database to be used by Lightroom. Using two databases for the same files is a recipe for disaster...

Why do you want to use both????

• 4. Re: How to import raw pictures from OSX Photos into LR CC?
                dj_paige Level 9

: How do I use LR CC as a stand alone editor, whilst keeping OSX Photos as my main program for viewing/organizing my pictures?

I think that everyone here in this forum will have the same answer. Don't try doing this.