4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2016 10:39 AM by hollyjeany

Colours changing when exporting AI files in InDesign

hollyjeany

Hello,

Since upgrading from CS6 to CC last year, i think my colour profiles or something are set up wrong between all the CS programs. When i work on a file in Illustrator (RGB) and then place it in indesign, as soon as i export the PDF the colours change. For example, a series of grey tones will come out as bright orange and blue. I am not that clued up with the internal workings and settings of all the programs but i've never had this problem before, i've never had to alter any colour settings, so think it must be a new default setting that i don't know about.

I understand there are a many settings that could do this. But i export the PDF as RGB too so i can't see a switch to CMYK that might cause it. Is there anyway to reset all the settings back to default so i can atleast try and get the settings i used to use with CS6.

Not sure what to do... any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Colours changing when exporting AI files in InDesign
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you show a screen capture of the differences?

In an RGB workflow it's important to always include profiles throughout the workflow and if you are designing for screens sRGB would usually be the best choice. Check that your AI and ID documents have sRGB assigned—check Edit>Assign Profiles, synchronizing your Color Settings won't necessarily work for existing documents. When you export include the RGB profile like this:

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 9.11.29 AM.png

Also, if you are viewing in AcrobatPro make sure the simulation profile is also sRGB—View>Tools>Print Production>Output Preview.

• 2. Re: Colours changing when exporting AI files in InDesign
            hollyjeany Level 1

Thanks very much for replying.

I've changed the assigned profile in InDesign but the option is greyed out in illustrator. do you know why that is?

I've also changed the settings in acrobat pro but the result is the same. Screen shot below of the result in PDF and what it is supposed to look like:

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 16.10.08.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 16.28.06.png

Incase this helps, here is a screen shot of the settings i have in illustrator and then indesign:

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 16.22.53.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 16.23.24.png

Thanks very much for your help!

• 3. Re: Colours changing when exporting AI files in InDesign
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your Illustrator Color Settings is a problem. Choose North American Prepress 2 from Settings, which will assign sRGB to new documents and let you assign a profile to existing docs. You might also consider synchronizing all your Adobe apps via Bridge's Edit>Color Settings.

As a test try synchronizing your Color Settings to North American Prepress, make a new document, place the AI file, and export with the Output settings in my first post.

• 4. Re: Colours changing when exporting AI files in InDesign
                hollyjeany Level 1

Thanks so much works fine now! Appreciate your help after months of head scratching - I think it was the bridge sync that did it!

Have a good evening!