"the following files could not be imported"
Please quote the entire complete exact word-for-word error message, including the next text after "could not be imported"
Some import operations were not performed.
The following files were not imported because they could not be read (1):......."
"could not be read" means you do not have WRITE Permission to the Destination folder that you are trying to import the files into.
To fix this, you can either
- change the Destination folder to some other folder that does have WRITE permission; OR
- change the permissions on the Destination folder to WRITE permission
I will check the permissions on the folder, I have no clue how those could have possibly been changed but will doublecheck
I went and changed the permissions of the following files and folders to read & write and am still receiving the same message: the *.lrdata file, the *.lrcat file, the lrcat-journal file, the Backups folder and the parent folder that all of these are contained in ...and am still receiving the same message: "The following files were not imported because they could not be read"
I don't know if this helps but I actually tried to create a new catalog locally on my hard drive and import photos and that didn't work either, received the same message
Read DJ_Paige's post#3. carefully-
"change the permissions on... the Destination folder that you are trying to import the files into."
This is not the Lightroom folder,- it is where YOU want to store your images in your computer. ie. the Destination folder where you want the photos to be.
If you want to leave then on the external drive where they exist now, then you should be using the "Add" option in the Import window. "Add" simply adds the photos to the library catalog and does not move or alter the photos.
And- maybe by un-plugging the external drive accidentally, it changed its read/write permissions state.
You were right - somehow, when the Mac external hard drive was disconnected without ejecting, Lightroom locked the destination picture folder on that external hard drive... I reset the destination folder by clicking on a local path, then put it back to the same path on the external hard drive as before but this time the locked symbol disappeared and now works fine. To repeat, I didn't actually change any permissions but just reset the destination path in Lightroom. Bizarre.
A few things... its lame that you can't unplug devices from a Mac without these things occurring, having to hit an eject button shouldn't be required given that PC's don't need this. We live in a messy world and cords get pulled sometimes. Second, thanks to you both for helping me get to the root of the issue quickly - I was pretty sceptical about forum support but did not anticipate you guys would respond within minutes of my responses. Great job!