3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2016 8:10 PM by MrTIFF

Booklet on HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium

johngrootjr

My officejet printer won't print a booklet properly,  It is putting four pages on one page instead of two pages

• 1. Re: Booklet on HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium
          MrTIFF Level 3

My guess is that two pieces of software are fighting -- probably InDesign's "Print Booklet" feature and the HP driver itself.  Print Booklet thinks it's doing a 2-up "saddle stitched" layout, but it doesn't know that the "Booklet" feature (or the "2-Up feature") in the HP driver is ALSO selected. This will create an imposition of an imposition, namely, 4 pages trying to all print on each side of an output sheet.

Your details may be somewhat different, depending on whether you're on Mac or Windows, the driver version, and so on.

• 2. Re: Booklet on HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium
            johngrootjr Level 1

Yes, I agree that is what is happening, but I haven't figured out how to stop it.  If I try to print with the HP booklet feature it doesn't do the booklet in landscape and if I try to not go to the HP driver from inDesign it doesn't print on both sides!

Is this something I should call HP about, that usually takes hours.

Thanks,

John

• 3. Re: Booklet on HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium
              MrTIFF Level 3

Before spending hours on the phone with HP, and still probably not learning anything useful, you could try this:

1. Download, install, and run one of the scripts that turns a normal InDesign Document into an InDesign Booklet-order Document.  I recommend IDImposer Booklet Edition, found at IDImposer.com.  (I am the author of IDImposer.) (IDImposer has a 30-day free trial period; after that, it is $14.95 to get a License Key if you find it useful and want to keep using it.)
              2. Now you have 2 choices. Either play with the HP driver setting for 2-sided printing, or print all of the odd pages, then turn the stack over and print all of the even pages.