1 person found this helpful
Thank you for contacting us. Apple controls the entire update process, so we believe that this is a bug with Apple's install process. The first thing to try would be getting an appointment at a Genius Bar at the Apple Store. You may be able to resolve it using the steps below.
First, a warning: If you uninistall the app you will lose any PDF's that you have saved in the application. It's important to try everything BUT uninistalling first if you want to save your data.
There are a few things to try:
- Back up your device to iCloud or your PC/Mac
- Follow these instructions to backup the PDF's from your iPhone to a PC or Mac: How to backup and restore PDF documents on iPad/iPhone using iTunes
- Restart your device (power it down and back on)
- Make sure you are connected to wifi
- Be sure your iOS is updated to the latest version (Settings->General->Software Update). I have read that sometimes an iOS Update Pending can block update of apps.
- Check to see if you have any downloads pending in iTunes or Podcasts. I have read that these may block updates of apps.
- Test your internet connection by going to a webpage in Safari
- Kill the app that is stuck (in this case Adobe Acrobat) by double tapping the home button, swiping left/right to find the app and then swiping up to kill the app.
- Open the AppStore App
- Tap on the updates tab 10 times (This clears the cache for the app store)
- If the app is in the list of "Pending Updates", tap "Update" again
- Restart the device (again)
- Often, the above does not work. If it does not, open the AppStore app and tap "Purchased" at the top of the Updates list
- Tap "My Purchases"
- Find the app in the list of "My purchases" and tap it there
- In the resulting details page for that app, tap the "open" or "download" button.
We would like to hear more about whether or not these steps work. If you try them, please respond to the post and let us know.
Additionally, there are a number of other discussions on Apple (and other forums) on how to fix this problem:
Worked for me for two App updates. Thank you. Richard
Were you able to try any of the steps I posted above? I would encourage you not to delete the app. Deleting will cause you to lose the documents you have opened (and might have modified) in the application.
For most users, the problem resolves itself after some time, but we've had several people tell us that some part of the steps I posted above work.
Hopefully, Apple will fix this problem soon. I am sorry that I cannot be much more help than this, but this is definitely an Apple bug and we're unfortunately "stuck" without much that we can do.
We gathered information regarding the "stuck" update problem and created the following FAQ document.
We hope that one of the possible solutions described in the document would help you.
Please leave a comment to let us know which solution worked for you. You can either reply to this forum post or go to the bottom of the FAQ document and tap/click the "Add a Comment" link.
Thank you all for your help!