4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2016 4:55 PM by f/8

Not All Keywords Entered in Lightroom CC Show Up in Photoshop File Info

f/8

Hi: The solution to this problem seems like it would be pretty easy, but I haven't found an answer after a fair bit of searching. So I apologize in advance if it's been addressed elsewhere.

Here's the situation. In Lightroom CC, I type into the Keywording field all of the keywords that I want to be associated with an image. Before exporting the image file to a folder on my computer, I select "Include all Metadata" and check "Write Keywords as Lightroom Hierarchy." But when I open the image file in Photoshop, only a few of those keywords show up in the File Info. (These same few words also show up if, in Lightroom, I select "Will Export" in the dropdown menu next to "Keyword Tags.")

I'm not trying--and don't want--to do anything fancy with my keywording. I just want to type words into the Keywording box in Lightroom and then have all of those same words  show up when I, or anyone else, opens that file in Photoshop.

Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

• 1. Re: Not All Keywords Entered in Lightroom CC Show Up in Photoshop File Info
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
          Before exporting the image file to a folder on my computer, I select "Include all Metadata" and check "Write Keywords as Lightroom Hierarchy." But when I open the image file in Photoshop, only a few of those keywords show up in the File Info. (These same few words also show up if, in Lightroom, I select "Will Export" in the dropdown menu next to "Keyword Tags.")

Sounds like some of the keywords have their option Include On Export unchecked. In the Keyword List panel of the Library module, right-click one of the keywords that isn't exporting and do Edit Keyword Tag. Is the option Include On Export checked?

• 2. Re: Not All Keywords Entered in Lightroom CC Show Up in Photoshop File Info
            f/8 Level 1

Hi John:

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I really appreciate the help. Sorry for the delay in my reply.

You're onto something here for sure. For keywords that were not showing up in the files I exported from Lightroom, the "Include On Export" was not checked. When I check the box for that word, it then shows up in the File Info of an exported file. This discovery leads to my next question.

How do I make it so that any keyword I type into the into the Keywording field in Lightroom shows up all the time with any image I enter it into? In other words, do I have to go through my long string of keywords in my Keyword List and check each keyword individually (which could be really time-consuming)? Or is their some way to do that globally for all/any keyword I might happen to enter? Maybe some Lightroom users don't want that. But in my case, any time I enter a keyword in Lightroom, I want it to export with the image file.

(BTW, I spent hour upon hour last Friday talking to four different Adobe helpline folks about this, and none of them came close to solving the issue. So, again, thank you.) 

• 3. Re: Not All Keywords Entered in Lightroom CC Show Up in Photoshop File Info
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
              How do I make it so that any keyword I type into the into the Keywording field in Lightroom shows up all the time with any image I enter it into? In other words, do I have to go through my long string of keywords in my Keyword List and check each keyword individually (which could be really time-consuming)?

My default, all keywords should have Include On Export checked.  Try making a new test keyword -- is it checked?

I've seen a few reports over the years of catalogs in which large numbers of keywords had somehow gotten it unchecked.  Unfortunately, there's no way to batch-edit keywords, so your only option is to examine each keyword in turn.

• 4. Re: Not All Keywords Entered in Lightroom CC Show Up in Photoshop File Info
                f/8 Level 1

I added a few new keywords, and, yes, the "Include On Export" was checked on the new ones.

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the keywords from now on and check any that don't export with the file. Hopefully, all of the new keywords will now go into the default mode.

Thank you!