1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 9, 2016 6:34 AM by Cari Jansen

Rearrange sections whilst retaining consecutive section numbers

andycallahan

Hello.

I searched around but couldn't find a solution, unless I am wording the question incorrectly.

I have a document with a large number of sections. I want the pages within the sections to have section markers. The issue is, I am constantly having to re-arrange the sections.

Is there a way to assign pages as beginning of sections, without giving it a specific section number? And then inDesign automatically knows that the first page assigned as a new section is 'Section 1', second page assigned as a new section is 'Section 2'.? I assumed this would be the case when selecting "Automatic page numbering" but when I inserted the special character > section marker it was blank.

Thanks a lot for your help!

• 1. Re: Rearrange sections whilst retaining consecutive section numbers
          Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve, but the text that is generated by a Section Marker is entered by setting it in the Numbering & Section Options dialog box.

1. Right-click the Section marker for a section in the Pages panel and choose Numbering & Sections Options.
          2. Enter the text in the Section Marker field.
            section-marker-2.png
          3. The Insert Special Character > Markers > Section Marker that you added to the Master Page that is applied to the document pages, or inserted on a page, is then populated with that text.

Depending on what you are trying to do, frequent shuffling of pages might mean that looking at using Text Variables instead of Section Markers works better.

• These can be populated based on text on a page that have a paragraph or character style applied to it for example (Running Headers)
          • If the text changes, and the pages are moved around the text variable text is automatically updated.