8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 6:27 AM by A.T. Romano

High resolution custom mp4 export preset

gediminassmaizys

How to make a high resolution custom mp4 export preset? It seems to limit the framesize saying "invalid framesize/framerate for this level". the level is set to 5. (highest)

Using premiere elements 14. Windows 7 32 bit

• 1. Re: High resolution custom mp4 export preset
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First unlock the lock next to the resolution (width and height)

Not only do you need to raise the Level but also the Profile to High.

• 2. Re: High resolution custom mp4 export preset
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What resolution are you trying to create?

As Ann suggests, you select Export & Share/Devices/Computer/Custom and then create an AVC preset with the width and height options un-constrained.

BTW, is this same question you posted in a similar thread?

how to export qHD video?

Please don't post the same question multiple times. It's very confusing and it does not get your question answered sooner. In fact, to keep things simple, I'm going to lock your other thread. Thanks.

• 3. Re: High resolution custom mp4 export preset
              A.T. Romano Level 7

gediminassmaizys

What you describe is typical when the advanced export settings need adjustment for the fields of Profile and Level before you enter your frame width and height (with those fields unlinked). Said already. Profile = High is OK, but supplemental detail needed for the Level field. The options are in numbers, not High as for Profile. If your frame size is 1920 x 1080, please select Level = 5.1. If your frame size is for 4K 3840 x 2160, then use Level = 5.2. I would suggest that after you make those settings to review all the advanced settings to assure that changing those did not change the frame rate or other.

ATR

• 4. Re: High resolution custom mp4 export preset
                gediminassmaizys Level 1

Sorry, Steve, you might be right here. Posts are similar, but here I'm asking in a more general sense, as I might need several different (higher resolution) .mp4 videos. In the other thread I asked about a specifc resolution qHD video (960x540) which I need at the moment. I had no intention to post the same question several times, that's just spam.

• 5. Re: High resolution custom mp4 export preset
                  gediminassmaizys Level 1

Hello, A.T,

I didn't quite understand what you meant when you said "supplemental detail needed for the Level field. " Could you explain that a bit more?
                  Also as I mentioned I only see levels up to 5, so how would I select levels 5.1 or 5.2?  I needed to export 960x720 mp4 video, (at least I doubt I'll need the higher ones you mentioned).

• 6. Re: High resolution custom mp4 export preset
                    gediminassmaizys Level 1

Ok, so I followed Ann's advice and swiched from mpeg4 as a format to h.264 and now i'm able to set higher resolutions for mp4's. Would like to know why that doesn't work with choosing mpeg4 as a format (just out of curiosity and for future reference as i'm new here.)
                    Thing's looking great so far, thank you for helping me, guys, you're great!

• 7. Re: High resolution custom mp4 export preset
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Level is related to the resolution and framerate. Your encoding might have worked also at 4.

But to set the parameters correctly you need to unlock the resolution first. Level also sets framerate.

The higher the level and profile the longer the encoding gets.

Glad it worked out.

• 8. Re: High resolution custom mp4 export preset
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

gediminassmaizys

Your progress sounds great. Let me go over Level option in the export settings and give you the rest of the story that you asked about.

The Level setting will impact the frame size and frame rate but also it will define the range of the bitrate that can be customized.

Example if 1920 x 1080 Custom & Share/Devices/Custom advanced settings and Format = H.264

Default With Profile = High

Level 4..........1280 x 720 and bitrate range is confined to 0.19 to 20 Mbps

Level 4.2.......1920 x 1080 and bitrate range is confined to 0.19 to 62.5 Mbps

Level 5.0.......1920 x 1080 and bitrate range is confined to 0.19 to 168.75 Mbps

The idea would be to set for a Level and Profile combination that will not error out when you go to enter your frame size in the Width and Height fields and gives you the bitrate setting opportunity that you want. The Profile choices are Baseline, Main, and High. We have selected High. Note: if you wanted Level = 5.1 or 5.2, then place the check mark next to one of them. VBR, 2 Pass was set for this example.

today-3.jpg

You asked

Would like to know why that doesn't work with choosing mpeg4 as a format (just out of curiosity and for future reference

Important: What is your video export requirement

a. video with MPEG4 compression

or

b. video with MP4 file extension (wrapper format that wraps the compression which could be H.264 as well as MPEG4 Video).

I think that you are after the H.264.mp4

Note: When set for MPEG4.mp4, the Level choices go as high a 5.0 with Advanced Simple set for Profile (then frame size max appears to be 720 x 480). There is no Level = 5.1 with Format = MPEG4. There should be with Format = H.264.

As this relates to your export with the 960 x 720 frame size...the Export & Share/Devices/Custom might have looked like

actual.JPG

In this screenshot, the bitrates are set to show max possible which are too high for what you need. But, the 5.0 and above Level set should allow your bitrate choice from the max full range for what is described. File size is always a consideration when bitrates are a consideration in the balance of frame size, quality, and bitrate level.

Please let me know if I have answered your question about what I meant by supplemental information regarding Level and the rest.

Best wishes

ATR