14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2016 7:43 AM by rob day

Canvas printing, splitting images and mirror edge for frame wrap around

andrewh82900176

Hi, does anyone have knowledge of  creating an image in InDesign on say 3 frames, so the whole image is visible, then splitting the image and on those 3 split images creating a mirror border say 40mm so I can wrap around the edges without losing part of the image.

• 1. Re: Canvas printing, splitting images and mirror edge for frame wrap around
          Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

Here is how you do that:

1. Choose File > New > Document.
          2. In the New Document dialog box:
            1. Uncheck Facing pages,
            2. Enter the Width/Height amount of a single panel.
            3. Enter 3 for Number of Pages.
            4. Enter 0 for Margins.
            5. Enter a Bleed amount of 40mm (matching the mirror border)
            6. Click OK.
          3. In the Pages panel select Page 1.
          4. first page, and deselect Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle.
            3-panels-1c.png
          5. Drag page 2 and 3 next to Page 1, to create a single spread of pages.
          6. Place the image across all three panels, ensuring that you start at the top left bleed guide and finish at the lower right bleed guide.
            3-panels-1.png
          7. Select the image, and choose Edit > Step and Repeat.
          8. In the Step and Repeat dialog box, set Repeat Count to 2, and set Vertical and Horizontal Offset to 0.
            3-panels-1b.png
          9. Click OK. You know have the image placed 3-times in exactly the same position.
          10. With the Selection tool, click in the left panel to select the image, and drag the right-middle handle of the graphic frame to the right edge of page 1.
          11. Click the middle panel, and drag the left handle to the left-edge of page 2, and the right handle to the right edge of page 2.
          12. Click the right panel, and drag the left handle to the left edge of page 3. You now have all images seamlessly placed.
            3-panels-2.png
          13. In the Pages panel, click on the [1-3] label below the three pages to select them.
          14. Select Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle from the Pages panel menu.
            3-panels-2b.png

15. Select the image on page 1 and drag the right-middle handle of the graphic frame to the bleed guide on the right of the page
          16. Select the image on page 2, and drag the left handle to the left bleed guide of page 2, and the right handle to the right bleed guide of page 2.
          17. Select the image on page 3, and drag the left handle to the left bleed guide of page 3.
            3-panels-5.png

And you are done

• 2. Re: Canvas printing, splitting images and mirror edge for frame wrap around
            andrewh82900176 Level 1

Thanks for your help, I have been at it all day. Its like climbing a mountain im almost there and cant give up,IMG_2302.JPG the instructions are quite clear but the cogs have been grinding away... I have most of it however the steps 9 - 12 are not agreeing. There is the 2nd page missing, its white. The 1st and 3rd page split with images when I Allow selected spread to shuffle but the 2nd page is missing its part of the picture.

• 3. Re: Canvas printing, splitting images and mirror edge for frame wrap around

Did you get the image placed across the 3-page spread? and then select the image with the Selection tool and create 2 copies using Step and Repeat (step 7-9)?

For steps10-12:

What you are doing is basically selecting the image on panel 1, panel 2, and panel 3.

Because the image covers all three panels, you'll need to work your way from left to right, reducing the frame width to it no longer covers the other panels.

Make sure you click with the Selection tool at the top middle of each panel, this should make the frame edges appear and you'll then need to move the Selection tool over one of the handles and click and drag in all the directions I've given in the steps.

• 4. Re: Canvas printing, splitting images and mirror edge for frame wrap around
                andrewh82900176 Level 1

Thanks Carl, yes all good till 10 - 12. All steps done even past 12 to see how it works and seems to be fine but I am confused with 10 to 12. I understand further from the comment though.

1) I use selection tool and click page 1 in the pages section then reduce the frame on the working screen on page 1. I leave the frame on the far left bleed then pull the RHS (right hand side) of the frame between the left and middle panel.

2) I then click the 2nd page in the pages section then take the frame from the 1st panel and reposition it on the middle (2nd) panel, first the RHS of the frame goes to RHS of the 2nd panel, then the LHS of the frame to the LHS of the 2nd panel ( although you said from my understanding to do that in opposite order, it tends to flip/ mirror the image over)

3) I then click 3rd page on the pages panel and take the frame from the middle panel (2nd) and move RHS of frame to 3rd panel far RHS of bleed line, then LHS frame that is still in 2nd panel then gets moved to the line between the 2nd and 3rd panel

"What you are doing is basically selecting the image on panel 1, panel 2, and panel 3." am i doing this correctly? I cant select pages any other way

"Make sure you click with the Selection tool at the top middle of each panel" is this on the working screen? The only way I can select a page is on the pages page, I cant seem to select a panel?

"This should make the frame edges appear and you'll then need to move the Selection tool over one of the handles and click and drag in all the directions I've given in the steps" The frame edges only appear when I select the page from the pages window

I apologize in advance but I should have learnt this stuff years ago

• 5. Re: Canvas printing, splitting images and mirror edge for frame wrap around
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Frankly I don't see a need for multiple copies of the image here at all.

Once the file is set up as three panels adjacent to one another, extending the image out to the bleed is all you need to do. Export to PDF as three separate pages, with bleed all around. and print those on the canvas. The bleed between panels can either be used to wrap around the frame, or it can be overlapped if mounting to a rigid substrate and cut through both layers to get an aligned seam.

• 6. Re: Canvas printing, splitting images and mirror edge for frame wrap around
                    andrewh82900176 Level 1

Thanks Peter. Can you please elaborate on the technique you use please... I am looking at all options

• 7. Re: Canvas printing, splitting images and mirror edge for frame wrap around

I used to work in a large format output service, and we would have set this up following Cari's instructions right up through #6, but at that point you can go straight to exporting three single page PDFs with 40 mm bleed all around.

Where the panels touch each other, the bleed area is the 40 mm of image on the adjacent panel and it will be included in your PDF so you can wrap it around your frame, just like the outside edges of panels 1 and 3, or if you are going to print in three sections (because of printer width issues), but then mount on a single board, you would mount them together with the panels overlapping a total of 80 mm at the two seams, then cut down the middle of those overlaps and remove the narrow strips so the two pieces of canvas would fit together snugly and your image would be "seamless" from any reasonable viewing distance.

• 8. Re: Canvas printing, splitting images and mirror edge for frame wrap around
                        andrewh82900176 Level 1

Thanks Peter..  I have exported them and the bleed does not show up. The printer is wide enough, Its just im trying to start a business canvas printing and others offer this.. I hope to get this happening as after I can hopefully get my head around this then I may need to learn to split the image as one horizontal and 2 vertical etc..

I have an issue exporting with the bleed.. I follow the steps and then export but the images seeem to export minus the bleed? What am I not  understanding, from 2 methods I cant even work one.. But ive come a long way since I started

• 9. Re: Canvas printing, splitting images and mirror edge for frame wrap around

When you print them:

In the Print dialog box, when you click Marks and Bleed on the left and look at the settings available is 'Use Document Bleed Settings' enabled?

• 10. Re: Canvas printing, splitting images and mirror edge for frame wrap around
                            andrewh82900176 Level 1

I havent attempted to print it as when I follow the instructions page two stays joined to page 1. Page 3 splits and I can pull the edge out to the bleed no problem. Although the instructions you have sent are self explanitory. I am a beginner and I think there may be a couple of errors in the instructions.. please note I am only click dragging handles not shift command or option click shift.

"10) With the Selection tool, click in the left panel to select the image, and drag the right-middle handle of the graphic frame to the right edge of page 1."

Where do I click the left panel? nothing in the 1st panel activates a selection? the only way is to select the page in the pages window?

"11) Click the middle panel, and drag the left handle to the left-edge of page 2, and the right handle to the right edge of page 2."

I assume the instructions here are back to front, clicking the middle panel does nothing again so I select the 2nd page in the pages window, Then I drag the Right frame handle first to the right side of panel 2, Then drag the frame handle from the left hand bleed of page 1 to the left hand border of page 2.. Otherwise the left hand frame cant share the same space as the right hand frame that is still part of frame 1 at this stage, and if I take the left handle too far it mirrors the image on page 1.

"12) Click the right panel, and drag the left handle to the left edge of page 3. You now have all images seamlessly placed."

I assume some instructions are missing here. Clicking right panel still does nothing so I select page 3 from the Pages window once again. I drag the right frame handle from page 2 to the edge of the bleed on page 3, Then drag the left frame handle to the join between Page 2 and 3

once all this is done I select page 1-3 and click 'allow selected spread to shuffle' and all pages break up... However the image on page 3 is correct, there is no image on page 2, and the image on page 1 is the images on page 1 & 2 combined... Like page 2 didnt split from page 1

Thanks for your help Cari

• 11. Re: Canvas printing, splitting images and mirror edge for frame wrap around

Instructions 1-6 should work to make a 3-page spread, and your image should extend across all pages out to the bleed guides on all sides. It is not enough to extend just the frame, the image must fill the bleed area. Your spread should look like Cari's first screen shot at step 6 in the first answer. Here's another screen capture showing the relationship of the page and guides in more detail:

Bleed Guides.png

Once your image extends to the bleed guides across all three panels, export to PDF using the "Use Document Bleed" setting. Unless you add some trim marks too (and you should change the offset for those to 40mm on this print to keep them out of the image) it will not be obvious that the bleed is there since it flows out from the image area you want to include, but if you don't include the marks you should see that the PDF is 80 mm larger in each dimension than the page size in ID.

• 12. Re: Canvas printing, splitting images and mirror edge for frame wrap around
                                andrewh82900176 Level 1

Thanks Cari and Peter, The input was great, after 3 days with all the help I made it.. Although I had issues with steps 10 - 12, I found a work around.

Once I did the split (step 14) I had issues with a page missing and not splitting.. Page 3 came out fine but page 1 still had the image of page 2 attached to it. So I just repeated from step 5 but instead of putting the 3 pages together because page 3 was good, I put 2 pages together being 1 and 2 and followed the steps through and it worked.. A bit inconvenient but it works... If anyone has input on where I am going wrong, hit me up or If there is a more efficient way to do this let me know... Thanks all

• 13. Re: Canvas printing, splitting images and mirror edge for frame wrap around

As I said in my first response, there is absolutely no reason to go beyond step 6. You don't need to have multiple copies of the image or split up the pages again to output.

• 14. Re: Canvas printing, splitting images and mirror edge for frame wrap around
                                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If anyone has input on where I am going wrong, hit me up or If there is a more efficient way to do this let me know... Thanks all

Peter's right, the step and repeat isn't necessary. You don't even need single pages—the only important step is to allow pages to shuffle so that the three panel pages can be setup as a spread. So here's a facing page document with a 3 page spread and 40mm bleeds on all sides

bleed.png

When you export or print, choose pages (not spreads) from General and Use Document Bleed Settings from Marks and Bleeds. The exported document will pick up the crossovers for the inside bleed (wrap). Here's the export in Acrobat:

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 10.41.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 10.26.12 AM.png