9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 5:56 AM by Colin Holgate

Converting Swf to Avi

graphias Level 1

While converting from SWF to AVI by exporting what's the ideal sound setting that should be chosen in the Sound Format option?

• 1. Re: Converting Swf to Avi
          Asymetrical Adobe Community Professional

Definitely 44000 kHz or your audio will go out of sync.

• 2. Re: Converting Swf to Avi
            Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I don't know the export options for AVI, but if you can set them to any value, 44.1 kHz, 16 bit (mono or stereo) would be correct, there likely to be no setting for 44000 kHz (or 44.0 kHz).

If you have a choice between MP3 and PCM/RAW, use PCM/RAW. When you take the AVI into whatever program you're going to be using next you can then choose a suitable audio codec.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Converting Swf to Avi
              graphias Level 1

I converted using the above option as well. For some reason the quality is cracking up and I am not able to figure out why. I attempted to convert swf to AVI with all possible permutations and combinations and when I play it in WMP it plays with a lag.

• 4. Re: Converting Swf to Avi

Sorry, my mistake. technically the correct way to say it is indeed 44.1 BUT there's absolutely a 44khz export option (seen below).  Second the reason your file could be lagging is the amount of vectors in it. Usually that's the cause of a video that lags. Really, exporting as an avi isn't the best option anyway. The best way to make a film in Flash is to export the swf and then import it into After Effects, and render it out as H264, then bring it into a video editing app and add sound, and then render it out again. If you have Flash CC you can just export the video and then have it open in Adobe Media Encoder and export a movie file that way.

44khz export.jpg

• 5. Re: Converting Swf to Avi

Interesting. Maybe they couldn't do periods in the drop down menu, or they wanted to avoid having to localize the number to use comma in some countries.

• 6. Re: Converting Swf to Avi

Who can fathom the minds of Adobe?

• 7. Re: Converting Swf to Avi
                      graphias Level 1

Dang. I don't have After Effects and I don't have Flash CC as well.

• 8. Re: Converting Swf to Avi
                        graphias Level 1

Interestingly, when I convert the file to Avi without adding Audio it doesn't lag. Any logic on this?

• 9. Re: Converting Swf to Avi

Just realized, if you are using a version of Flash Pro that is between CS3 and CS6, you're unlikely to be able to get a good video export. That's because the export happened in real time, your machine has to be able to render frames fast enough to keep up with the timeline frame rate. If it doesn't keep up you get frames that repeat. Not sure why just adding the sound would make a difference, though it could be to do with it being Stream sync.

Do you know anyone using a recent version of Flash Pro? That does perfect frame rate exports, even for the most complicated animation.